New ISP Really bad speed results PLEASE HELP :(

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Just ran some speed test's and I'm getting like .4-2 mbps of download and 1-3 mbps upload! I'm advertised at 30 mbps of download and 5 mbps of upload! We're renting a wire-less modem, CISCO DPC3285. The PC I'm using is 7-8 years old, yeah I know it's a dinsouar, Is this the BIG problem that's giving me outrageous speed results? I tried some speed tests on my brothers laptop it's old too but not as old as mine, he was getting 2-3 mbps of download and the same upload...My sister has a 2011 macbook pro, should I try a speedtest on her computer?

suteck

Distinguished
If you use you ISP's speed test and then call them with the results they should be able to fix that for you. Even with the older machines the plug in Ethernet cable connection is usually 10/ 100 Mbps so that shouldn't be the problem. Wireless might be a different issue. We'd need to know what wireless you're using B.G.N for instance, being older I'm not sure what you have. Also, you need to notice if your speed test is giving you results in MBps or Mbps. There is a big difference between the two. Let's say you are supposed to be getting 30 Mbps like you mentioned. Using these terms means that 30 Mbps equals 3.75 MBps since there are 8 bits (b) in a Byte (B), if you see what I mean. So if your speed test is giving you results of 2-4 MBps you are on the money. However, if you're only getting 2-4 Mbps I think, as ss202sl suggested, you should call you ISP and see what's going on. It also never hurts to try a reset of the modem to see if that helps.

This is a pretty common problem with wireless quality of service optimizations. If you go into your router's setup and to the wireless settings you may see something to do with QoS (Cisco QoS), streaming media optimizations, etc... turn these all off.