Sign in with
Your question

Hardware Newcomer

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2012 1:14:10 AM

Hello, My first time on the forum,

I wanted to ask about some hardware compatibility,
This will be my first full build and though I'm quite confident because I know its made to be compatible but I'm not quite ready to throw the money at NCIX until I'm sure,

So here we go:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W
MotherBoard - ASUS M5A88-M mATX AM3+ DDR3 AMD 880G 1PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI USB3.0 SATA3 DVI HDMI
Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Fermi 850MHZ 1024MB Superclocked GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0 2XDVI-I Mini-HDMI
Power - Antec Basiq BP550 Plus 550W 24PIN ATX 12V V2.2 80PLUS Modular Active PFC
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Case - Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio
Drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
HDD - I have two from other machines that I will be putting in, let me know if this is a problem.

Monitor - Don't know yet but open to suggestions, $200, $250 maX

well thats that^

Might also be worth noting as much as I can I use Linux (Ubuntu FTW), but will probably dual boot with XP (beacause I have an install disk already) Or perhaps even the Win8 preview, what do you think,

I home this was the place for it,

Thanks Guys

More about : hardware newcomer

August 31, 2012 3:12:45 AM

I noticed your new mobo doesn't come with an ide connector. Is your old 80GB hdd ide or
sata? As far as I know if it is an ide drive you won't be able to use it with this mobo.
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2012 3:22:28 AM

cmichael138 said:
If you're not set on having a modular PSU, Corsair has a 600W with a 3 year warranty for $69 with $5 rebate.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=60330&vpn=CMPSU%2D600....

The 300 is an excellent case.

What are the existing HDDs that you'll be using?

jtenorj said:
I noticed your new mobo doesn't come with an ide connector. Is your old 80GB hdd ide or
sata? As far as I know if it is an ide drive you won't be able to use it with this mobo.

Not all that sure, but I don't think that's a very big deal the other is, especially as the modo has very favorable Linux reviews
But that's the only problem you can see
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:25:57 AM

cmichael138 said:
If you're not set on having a modular PSU, Corsair has a 600W with a 3 year warranty for $69 with $5 rebate.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=60330&vpn=CMPSU%2D600....

The 300 is an excellent case.

What are the existing HDDs that you'll be using?

alright, thanks, I switched my PSU, the hard drives are older hard drives one 80gb out of a dell which is still working absolutely peachy with Linux even after 8 or so years, the other probably my preference if 250GB Western digital it 7200RPM i amuse after some research of product numbers.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822144701

This alright or should I get another maybe a ssd?
m
l
August 31, 2012 7:54:59 PM

Sorry....the link you gave to Newegg isn't working. Was that in relation to a HD? As
jtenorj noted, you will need SATA hard drives for that MB or an IDEto SATA adaptor.

The SSD are certainly faster. If you are leaning in that direction, 128GB is the minimum size I would recommend and I would run just the OS on it and install everything else to the WD HD.

I didn't see the G Skill RAM on the ASUS memory list or your MB on the G. Sgill list. That being said, the AM3+ motherboards I have used work well with the unbuffered, non ECC, dual channel memory at 1.5V and 9-9-24 timing so I guess your memory choice would be okay.

Lastly, I'm not a gamer and don't spend much on GPUs. Hopefully someone will chime in regarding the one you have chosen.

Good luck!
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:50:32 PM

cmichael138 said:
Sorry....the link you gave to Newegg isn't working. Was that in relation to a HD? As
jtenorj noted, you will need SATA hard drives for that MB or an IDEto SATA adaptor.

The SSD are certainly faster. If you are leaning in that direction, 128GB is the minimum size I would recommend and I would run just the OS on it and install everything else to the WD HD.

I didn't see the G Skill RAM on the ASUS memory list or your MB on the G. Sgill list. That being said, the AM3+ motherboards I have used work well with the unbuffered, non ECC, dual channel memory at 1.5V and 9-9-24 timing so I guess your memory choice would be okay.

Lastly, I'm not a gamer and don't spend much on GPUs. Hopefully someone will chime in regarding the one you have chosen.

Good luck!

Not too sure what happened there, but here it is again http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:55:40 PM

the case is a mini case. i would get a regular ATX Mobo instead of an mATX. You would be better with a regular sized case. Also since you dont have a cooler, get a gtx 560 ti instead. the one you listed would heat up the computer.
m
l
!