Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How are the choices for my future PC?

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2012 3:07:10 AM

Many improvements. what is you're budget?

More about : choices future

August 31, 2012 3:08:37 AM

-AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition

-XFX Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit

-Mk II 750W 80PLUS silver

-Antec Three Hundred Black Steel Case

-AMD 990fx motherboard

-Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB RAM

-Seagate 2TB HDD

Very new when it comes to choosing specs, I usually buy pre-made PCs, but figured making my own would be cheaper. So any improvements? Downsides to my current build? Items to replace?

Budget Range: $800 MAX

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:10:43 AM

Is the monitor included in the budget?

will you be overclocking your CPU?
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2012 3:17:22 AM

bctande1 said:
Is the monitor included in the budget?

will you be overclocking your CPU?

The monitor is not included, and if I do plan on overclocking, ill probably need to find a tutorial first.
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:22:11 AM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g7Wq
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g7Wq/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g7Wq/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($102.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.24 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill 530W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $805.21
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-30 23:17 EDT-0400)

There are a few things that I want to ask you because this rig has potential to have a MUCH better GPU

CPU - I got you a 3570k because right now that's the standard for gaming, very speedy for most everyday operations, and very reliable overall. HOWEVER, if you're willing up some overall computer speech(Not so much gaming performance, a little), I can opt for an AMD motherboard, and get you a way better GPU like a GTX 670, which is 20+ FPS better, and around 30+ FPS better when overclocked, than the one I chose you now (7870) You would be losing some CPU reliability, but the upgrade would be possible.
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:30:52 AM

bctande1 said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g7Wq
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g7Wq/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g7Wq/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($102.55 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.24 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $805.21
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-30 23:17 EDT-0400)

There are a few things that I want to ask you because this rig has potential to have a MUCH better GPU

CPU - I got you a 3570k because right now that's the standard for gaming, very speedy for most everyday operations, and very reliable overall. HOWEVER, if you're willing up some overall computer speech(Not so much gaming performance, a little), I can opt for an AMD motherboard, and get you a way better GPU like a GTX 670, which is 20+ FPS better, and around 30+ FPS better when overclocked, than the one I chose you now (7870) You would be losing some CPU reliability, but the upgrade would be possible.

I think I'll stick with the first build, however I am still looking up every part, comparing prices between my preferable sites to buy them at. But can you give me an idea of what games I would be able to play on max settings?
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:45:09 AM

Question -- Why would you stick with your build?? I will judge yours piece by piece -- to any techie, no offense, your build is VERY uneven.

CPU - You are using last-generation AMD CPU, based on a 45nm process, which makes it suck in MUCH MORE power than mine, and gives you a fraction of the performance that mine gives. AMD 965BE processors are made to be gaming oriented by now ONLY, and they aren't even the best CPUs you can get for their price. On the other hand, I am giving you the lastest generation Intel 3570k Ivy bridge procesor, based on a 22nm process, which means it will pull way less power, and will supply you with much more performance EVERYWHERE. There is not a single area where your old AMD CPU will beat the CPU I picked.

GPU - I cannot even come to explain in words how better my GPU choice is than yours. Here are some benchmarks. With my GPU, you can play Battlefield 3 at FULL 1080p MAX SETTINGS at around 50FPS stable.. more if overclocked. Yours probably wouldn't break 30FPS on max at 1080p.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=548 -- Here are some benchmarks between a GPU that is better than your 6770(light blue), and my 7870(black).

PSU - You overkill your entire system on this PSU. 750w silver is when you are running DUAL graphics cards with a 3770k, and then some, but none of which you are doing in my build. 750w is not only too much money spent but it will run very inefficiently.

Case - doesn't really make a difference either way, spend as little as you can with it. I chose you a very good case, however.

Motherboard -- your choosing a AM3+ motheboard, which makes no real sense when you are running a last generation CPU

Storage -- You are getting 2TB in your build but the money is so unevenly distribued,. You need to draw back there and put that somewhere else. I can get you 1TB if I try hard enough..

Conclusion - Dude, your build is literally a Toyota corolla when compared to mine, which is more like a ferrari. No offense there, but you are not doing justice to the 800$
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:49:59 AM

Name the games you want to play on MAX
m
l
August 31, 2012 3:51:29 AM

bctande1 said:
Question -- Why would you stick with your build?? I will judge yours piece by piece -- to any techie, no offense, your build is VERY uneven.

CPU - You are using last-generation AMD CPU, based on a 45nm process, which makes it suck in MUCH MORE power than mine, and gives you a fraction of the performance that mine gives. AMD 965BE processors are made to be gaming oriented by now ONLY, and they aren't even the best CPUs you can get for their price. On the other hand, I am giving you the lastest generation Intel 3570k Ivy bridge procesor, based on a 22nm process, which means it will pull way less power, and will supply you with much more performance EVERYWHERE. There is not a single area where your old AMD CPU will beat the CPU I picked.

GPU - I cannot even come to explain in words how better my GPU choice is than yours. Here are some benchmarks. With my GPU, you can play Battlefield 3 at FULL 1080p MAX SETTINGS at around 50FPS stable.. more if overclocked. Yours probably wouldn't break 30FPS on max at 1080p.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=548 -- Here are some benchmarks between a GPU that is better than your 6770(light blue), and my 7870(black).

PSU - You overkill your entire system on this PSU. 750w silver is when you are running DUAL graphics cards with a 3770k, and then some, but none of which you are doing in my build. 750w is not only too much money spent but it will run very inefficiently.

Case - doesn't really make a difference either way, spend as little as you can with it. I chose you a very good case, however.

Motherboard -- your choosing a AM3+ motheboard, which makes no real sense when you are running a last generation CPU

Storage -- You are getting 2TB in your build but the money is so unevenly distribued,. You need to draw back there and put that somewhere else. I can get you 1TB if I try hard enough..

Conclusion - Dude, your build is literally a Toyota corolla when compared to mine, which is more like a ferrari. No offense there, but you are not doing justice to the 800$

By "Stick to the first build" I meant that I was going with the one you recommended and not get the AMD motherboard, along with the GTX 670. :p 
m
l
August 31, 2012 4:05:05 AM

OHH Ok I'm very sorry haha I apologize greatly. :)  Veryy sorry I misunderstood. Discard my rant. Here, lemme re-build yours! :p 
m
l
August 31, 2012 4:11:09 AM

bctande1 said:
OHH Ok I'm very sorry haha I apologize greatly. :)  Veryy sorry I misunderstood. Discard my rant. Here, lemme re-build yours! :p 

:lol:  No worries, I understand how that could've been misleading. I was also wondering, do you have an idea on how long this build can last me?
m
l
August 31, 2012 4:31:28 AM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g8hL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g8hL/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g8hL/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-4170 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($317.55 @ Newegg)
Other: Thermal Paste ($10.00)
Total: $791.95
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-31 00:22 EDT-0400)

Two things :
1) I wasn't able to get a 670 HOWEVER, I got the card right under it(not by much) in terms of performance. The 7950. It will perform better than the 7870 and will overclock very well(GPUs are not hard to overclock at all) to stock 670 speeds no doubt. It is a step ahead of the 7870. With this card, Battlefield 3 MAX at 60 FPS will be no sweat. Basically any game you throw at this GPU will be no challenge to run at 60FPS(I'd say with the exception of a few games like GTA 4, which are very hard to run at high FPS even on higher end machines) but all the top titles will be perfectly runnable. This card runs cool and quiet.

HDD - I managed to get you a 1TB drive instead of the 500GB drive !

CPU - I downgraded you to the AMD FX-4170. Don't worry however, gaming wise, you shouldn't see much of a difference at all.

How long will the build last?
As far as the literal life-span. These components should last a very long time before physically dying(God forbid). I'm talking 5+ years. But by that time you would've upgraded your system most likely to something newer. As far as performance, the 7950 is a very solid card. It can run most to all games today at solid 60FPS at 1080p. A year down the line, this card will definitely still be solid. There is always usually one game that sort of ups the Ante( Crysis 1 in 2007, and Battlefield 3 in 2011, though not as much), and sets the standard for GPUs at the time. But other than Crysis 3, which should be perfectly playable on your rig, I can't see this machine being declared "dead" in the next 2 years. As I said before, in around 2 years, you probably will be looking for an upgrade just to freshen up things, but if not, theres no need to worry, this system trims what we consider high-end GPU wise, and will run you strong when you need it.

I also linked thermal paste at the bottom of the build. The CPU acutally comes pre-overclocked. All you need to do is apply the paste when you install it and you're good.

Any questions?

If you need a guide on how to build a PC, I suggest newegg's on youtube.

Here is a link to the first video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

m
l
August 31, 2012 4:41:03 AM

bctande1 said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g8hL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g8hL/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g8hL/benchmarks/

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $791.95
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-31 00:22 EDT-0400)

Two things :
1) I wasn't able to get a 670 HOWEVER, I got the card right under it(not by much) in terms of performance. The 7950. It will perform better than the 7870 and will overclock very well(GPUs are not hard to overclock at all) to stock 670 speeds no doubt. It is a step ahead of the 7870. With this card, Battlefield 3 MAX at 60 FPS will be no sweat. Basically any game you throw at this GPU will be no challenge to run at 60FPS(I'd say with the exception of a few games like GTA 4, which are very hard to run at high FPS even on higher end machines) but all the top titles will be perfectly runnable. This card runs cool and quiet.

HDD - I managed to get you a 1TB drive instead of the 500GB drive !

CPU - I downgraded you to the AMD FX-4170. Don't worry however, gaming wise, you shouldn't see much of a difference at all.

How long will the build last?
As far as the literal life-span. These components should last a very long time before physically dying(God forbid). I'm talking 5+ years. But by that time you would've upgraded your system most likely to something newer. As far as performance, the 7950 is a very solid card. It can run most to all games today at solid 60FPS at 1080p. A year down the line, this card will definitely still be solid. There is always usually one game that sort of ups the Ante( Crysis 1 in 2007, and Battlefield 3 in 2011, though not as much), and sets the standard for GPUs at the time. But other than Crysis 3, which should be perfectly playable on your rig, I can't see this machine being declared "dead" in the next 2 years. As I said before, in around 2 years, you probably will be looking for an upgrade just to freshen up things, but if not, theres no need to worry, this system trims what we consider high-end GPU wise, and will run you strong when you need it.

I also linked thermal paste at the bottom of the build. The CPU acutally comes pre-overclocked. All you need to do is apply the paste when you install it and you're good.

Any questions?

If you need a guide on how to build a PC, I suggest newegg's on youtube.

Here is a link to the first video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

I had a few tutorial videos set up as well, thanks for the life expectancy. I will definitely be building this computer. Thanks plenty, got any way of me contacting you if I have any questions I have along the way?
m
l
August 31, 2012 4:49:28 AM

GRBrigs said:
I had a few tutorial videos set up as well, thanks for the life expectancy. I will definitely be building this computer. Thanks plenty, got any way of me contacting you if I have any questions I have along the way?

Email me at bctande7@gmail.com if you need anything, I'm still on summer break so I should usually respond quickly.

I actually built a computer yesterday with a similar set-up but a less-beastly graphics card, very enjoyable experience. I'll email you a picture of the system if you want. The funny thing is that it was the first time I built a computer all on my own (after spending a few weeks observing MANY videos and watching a friend -- don't worry though I'm experienced with picking hardware parts. The set-up ended up working perfectly on first boot and everything was completely fine. Anyway I digress, but if you have any questions/comments/concerns just say, and otherwise, have a good time with your build ! VERY capable gaming PC.
m
l
August 31, 2012 2:19:24 PM

bctande1 said:
Email me at bctande7@gmail.com if you need anything, I'm still on summer break so I should usually respond quickly.

I actually built a computer yesterday with a similar set-up but a less-beastly graphics card, very enjoyable experience. I'll email you a picture of the system if you want. The funny thing is that it was the first time I built a computer all on my own (after spending a few weeks observing MANY videos and watching a friend -- don't worry though I'm experienced with picking hardware parts. The set-up ended up working perfectly on first boot and everything was completely fine. Anyway I digress, but if you have any questions/comments/concerns just say, and otherwise, have a good time with your build ! VERY capable gaming PC.

Alright, I have been watching a few videos myself, but before making such an expensive computer, I will be trying to get some pretty bad computers from people that don't want it anymore, take it all apart, and reassemble and see if that works. If it does, I'll go onto making this one, if it doesn't, I'll just keep looking for new videos. :kaola: 

Thanks plenty once again! :) 
m
l

Best solution

August 31, 2012 11:48:24 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gc1f
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gc1f/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gc1f/benchmarks/

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $780.96
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-31 19:48 EDT-0400)

I made a tweak to the RAM
September 1, 2012 5:26:28 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.36 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $807.79
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-01 13:25 EDT-0400)
m
l
September 2, 2012 1:11:43 AM

Best answer selected by GRBrigs.
m
l
!