What components break easily during install?

foxh0und

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I am buying all of my components from Scan and they offer insurance where I can protect all items for installation so if I break something I can get a free replacement. This is my first build and I also have an I.T consultant who will be helping me build it. I believe with an I.T consultant who builds servers everyday I probably don't need the insurance, but I'd like to have peace of mind since anything might happen.

GPU: 2GB MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k + Coolmaster hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
MOBO: MSI Z77A-G45
PSU: 650W Corsair Enthusiast TX V2
RAM: 8GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
SSD: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4
HDD: 1TB Seagate 7200 RPM
CASE: NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower
DVDRW: Sony AD-5280S-0B 24x
FANS: 140mm NZXT FZ-140mm LED 13 Blade, 2 x Arctic Cooling F12 120mm Case Fan

The things I believe won't need insurance are:
Fans, case, HDD, SSD, DVDRW, CPU cooler

The things I believe will need insurance are:
GPU, CPU, MOBO, RAM

I am unsure of the PSU, while it won't be affected by static, is it possible to bend pins or break it another way?
I'm also not completely use of the HDD and SSD, I've removed a HDD from a laptop before and I didn't see anything on it that would make it break easily, but SSD and normal HDD might be different.

if the package is damaged have the driver make notation of it. you can also refuse a damaged package. All major components should have a 30 day return for replacement at point of origin. after that the manufacturers warranty should be something like 3-5 years depending on the product. that should be made clear on the sellers site in the product description. if not look at manufacturers site. no need imo to pay more for something that should already be provided. seller sounds like a money grubbing scum bag.

foxh0und

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

This isn't the same thing. If something comes broken already, then it is covered by their contract with the shipping company. But what I am asking is something else. I am building the PC and they offer insurance for people who want to build their own PC to protect against install, for example, if i don't take out the insurance and i bend a pin or short out the circuite, I'm not covered.

proton007

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
a) CPU Pins, although if you follow the notches and be careful, its pretty simple really.
b) Do not connect/disconnect anything while the power is on.
c) Electrical Shorting. Make sure when you test, you do it on an insulated surface, and when you install, you install the standoffs first.
d) Static Charge. Make sure you're not on a carpet etc when handling stuff.

However, chances that your stuff is DOA is way more than you damaging your stuff (it does happen though).

foxh0und

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
^ thanks :) is there anything else I need to be careful of? which i should probably insure?

Yes, as stated, he builds servers everyday, he hasn't build a gaming PC before, but I imagine big servers are more difficult to build.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I've never really had a problem with CPU pins before and I've moved CPUs between multiple motherboards. I've definitely had motherboards DOA before (which is why I never recommend MSI motherboards) but it does happen.