Sign in with
Your question
Solved

High frequency sound coming from PC after getting new PSU?

Last response: in Components
January 14, 2013 3:28:17 PM

So I just got this PSU a couple days ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now I hear a high frequency sound coming from my computer. It has two different frequencys it sounds like, one high and one lower, which it switches from every 2 or 3 seconds. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I can hear when the PC is off as well, and turning the PSU off doesn't even change anything.

Other system specs that may have something to do with it:
z68 extreme3 gen3
i5-2500k @ 3.3 ghz
xfx 6870 (soon 7970)

Best solution

a c 1194 ) Power supply
January 14, 2013 4:21:37 PM

timnswede said:
So I just got this PSU a couple days ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now I hear a high frequency sound coming from my computer. It has two different frequencys it sounds like, one high and one lower, which it switches from every 2 or 3 seconds. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I can hear when the PC is off as well, and turning the PSU off doesn't even change anything.

Other system specs that may have something to do with it:
z68 extreme3 gen3
i5-2500k @ 3.3 ghz
xfx 6870 (soon 7970)

If turning off the PSU, using its main power switch, doesn't change anything then its not coming from the PSU.

If, however, the high pitched noise disappears when the PSU is turned off, then the cause would be the PSU and you should exchange it with Newegg.com since it's within their straight product exchange period (Return for replacement within: 30 days policy). Otherwise you'll have to deal with it through Seasonic's RMA process.
January 14, 2013 4:26:11 PM

Could it still be the PSU that's at fault though? I have never heard anything until I started using this PSU. I'll try turning the PSU off for two minutes or so and see if the sound goes away.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1194 ) Power supply
January 14, 2013 4:27:52 PM

timnswede said:
Could it still be the PSU that's at fault though? I have never heard anything until I started using this PSU. I'll try turning the PSU off for two minutes or so and see if the sound goes away.

It does take 10 seconds or more for the capacitors in the PSU to discharge so yes you should wait for a longer period of time with the PSU's power switch off.
m
l
January 14, 2013 4:56:13 PM

OK, it's definitely the PSU then. I left it off for about 15 seconds and the frequency started pulsating faster and faster until it stopped. I turned the PSU back on, and right away the sound came back, this time just as a flat frequency. Does Newegg accept returns without a reason? If they tried to find a problem I doubt they would since usually only younger people can hear high frequency sounds.
m
l
January 14, 2013 5:05:50 PM

ko888 said:
You will need to make arrangements with Newegg.com before hand to initiate the RMA:

http://help.newegg.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243

So if they can't hear the high frequency sound, will they just say that there is no problem with it and return it to me?
m
l
a c 1194 ) Power supply
January 14, 2013 5:11:12 PM

I'm not sure what testing, if any, that they will do.

I've never had to return a power supply to them.
m
l
January 14, 2013 5:15:51 PM

OK, thanks for your help. I'll fiddle a little more with the cables and if I can't fix it I'll go ahead and RMA it.
m
l
January 14, 2013 5:16:29 PM

Best answer selected by timnswede.
m
l
!