Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5-2500 Reports hot but isn't

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2013 3:28:47 PM

I have a couple of desktops running a i5-2500 chips. One is fine the other seems to be very sluggish. I installed CPU-z on it and noticed the clock was running slow. At first, I figured that the power management was set to conservative or something like that but that didn't seem to be the issue. I then installed coretemp and found that the cores were reporting temps in the 98c range - yikes. I opened the case and there is no way they are running that hot. The CPU fan is blowing cold air.

I'm thinking the sensors are being read incorrectly. Any idea how to fix this? The MB is a Asus P8P67 WS Revolution. Thanks.

-- Bud

More about : 2500 reports hot

Best solution

a c 190 à CPUs
January 14, 2013 3:49:28 PM

First check to make sure that the HSF (heatsink/fan) is seated well. You can do this by reaching in to pull each of the 4 twist clips straight up. If any of them can be pulled up then it wasnt seated well and you are going to want to put some new thermal paste on it and reseat it.

If this doesnt fix the heat issue you can give our technical support a call at 916-377-7000 if this is a boxed/retail processor.
January 14, 2013 4:15:28 PM

Thanks Christian, I'll check that out and report back. -- Bud
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2013 6:38:40 PM

Simple test: What does the temp read from the BIOS after the PC has been shutdown for a bit? If it boots right up to that temp, and never moves, then its likely a busted sensor.
m
l
January 14, 2013 7:11:14 PM

After leaving the computer on for a little while, touch the heatsink and see if it's hot. If it isn't then it should be a faulty sensor in the processor.
m
l
January 14, 2013 8:00:30 PM

Best answer selected by ChicagoBud.
m
l
January 14, 2013 8:04:22 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
First check to make sure that the HSF (heatsink/fan) is seated well. You can do this by reaching in to pull each of the 4 twist clips straight up. If any of them can be pulled up then it wasnt seated well and you are going to want to put some new thermal paste on it and reseat it.

Chris, It was the heat sink not being properly seated. The reason it wasn't blowing hot air was that the heat sink wasn't conducting heat at all. Those push pin things seem like a good idea but they are a pain get in correctly. Now running prime95 at 70c max. Thanks.

-- Bud

m
l
Related resources
!