Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core 2 duo cpu

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2013 3:52:33 PM

Hello all,
I have an old nonworking laptop laying here with a fried nvidia chip. It does have an intel core 2 duo T7300 socket P that I would like to use to put together a streaming media player. Is there a motherboard available that this thing is compatible with? or should I just scrap the laptop and start fresh? I would like to salvage parts I have laying around if possible. I also have a desktop that isnt getting much use, so I was thinking of using the hard drive from it.

any help is appreciated! thanks

More about : core duo cpu

a b à CPUs
January 14, 2013 4:45:39 PM

So you are trying to remove the CPU out of the laptop and place it in a desktop system ?
m
l
January 14, 2013 4:52:42 PM

You can't use any hardware from the laptop to work in the desktop except the HDD and maybe the optical drive. Why don't you use the desktop as a media pc?
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2013 4:54:50 PM

Yes... I was going to try to 'piece' together something.
m
l
January 14, 2013 5:03:02 PM

that was my second option mc_creeper. Thanks for the input. I'll find some components and update the desktop where needed. For one the cd drive isnt working, but thats an inexpensive fix. I wasnt sure if the cpu from the laptop could be used or not. I think you answered that question.
Thanks again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2013 5:50:48 PM

Yes there are no socket "P" desktop motherboards available. How much were you looking to spend on this project ? There are several more modern motherboard/cpu combos for around $100 that would be more than suitable for this purpose. What motherboard is in that desktop you have ?
m
l
January 14, 2013 6:12:31 PM

I havent got into the desktop yet...I was going to operate when I get home from work. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.
However If I put together a new system I would like it to be capable of dvr from my cable provider (Time Warner) but I suppose I could always upgrade later. From what I've been reading Windows Media Center is the best for dvr.
What mb/cpu combo would work best for this?
To keep costs down ....
- I was looking at the amd a4-3300 or 3400 for a cpu
- ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
or
-ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 14, 2013 7:01:44 PM

DVR capability is a fairly simple addition at any time as all that is needed is a TV Tuner card such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Now when it comes to the CPU selection you are on the right track with an APU from AMD as their on chip graphics solutions are sufficent for the task and remove the need for a dedicated GPU.The APU's you have listed would generally be more than enough however after finding out that recording would be an interest of yours I would have to suggest one of the quad core APU's for the reason that recording one stream, playing back a 1080P file on a large display and downloading several other files simultaniously would just be too much for a dual to handle fluidly and without issue. I would sugest this APU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I know it is slightly more expensive but it is much much more suited to your tasks.
January 14, 2013 7:27:17 PM

Thats info that I needed to know for to dvr....a quad core cpu makes perfect sense.
I was concerned on being able to dvr the high def "digital cable"....would the tuner you suggested let me record one show and watch another? or is there another tuner that you would recommend for this task?
Thanks very much for all your assistance, its VERY helpful info. I'm on a budget and trying to buy parts a little at a time to complete the project. This is also my first attempt at building a htpc so I want to do it right.
Hopefully, I'll be able to build a few more :o )
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2013 9:18:11 PM

robistro said:
Thats info that I needed to know for to dvr....a quad core cpu makes perfect sense.
I was concerned on being able to dvr the high def "digital cable"....would the tuner you suggested let me record one show and watch another? or is there another tuner that you would recommend for this task?
Thanks very much for all your assistance, its VERY helpful info. I'm on a budget and trying to buy parts a little at a time to complete the project. This is also my first attempt at building a htpc so I want to do it right.
Hopefully, I'll be able to build a few more :o )

You know I am honestly no expert on TV tuners. Your best solution to that problem would be to spend some time google-ing different tuners and people experiences with that specific product. Building an HTPC is no different than a conventional desktop PC except in the case of an HTPC more attention needs to be payed to lower voltage/lower noise components as you dont want some crazy 8 fan box blowing away while you are trying to watch movies lol. I am glad I could be of help. If you need any further assistance please feel free to ask otherwise please select a best answer and best of luck to you on your build.
m
l
January 14, 2013 11:01:26 PM

cmi86 said:
You know I am honestly no expert on TV tuners. Your best solution to that problem would be to spend some time google-ing different tuners and people experiences with that specific product. Building an HTPC is no different than a conventional desktop PC except in the case of an HTPC more attention needs to be payed to lower voltage/lower noise components as you dont want some crazy 8 fan box blowing away while you are trying to watch movies lol. I am glad I could be of help. If you need any further assistance please feel free to ask otherwise please select a best answer and best of luck to you on your build.

Thanks for the help. I've been googling so much I'm getting confused. Anyway, I'll make another post in the appropriate forum and get some more advice before I build. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get around to building/completion! Thanks again. If you have any further advice or links to direct me to feel free to IM or post

Thanks again. ....btw Like the avitar!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 12:55:27 AM

Ya not alot of people recognize the spor logo anymore lol. The best part is I'm american lol. Hey man save my profile and feel free to ask anything ya need. Select a best answer because I get points for it lol.
m
l
January 15, 2013 11:49:13 AM

Best answer selected by robistro.
m
l
!