Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
hello support,

i have 3 computers,

1) xp media center sp3
2) xp pro sp3
3) vista home

all under same workgroup name.

all could previously could share files and printer. i cna still share the printer from all computers. they all can see the router.

i had to reset my router recently. and this is a 2 router system att router for the outside internet and i have a mn-700 for my wireless thru the house.

i use comodo on all computers but turned it off to see if that was blocking any internal traffic.

comp1 ==can see the share folders of comp3 in view workgroup computers but can not access them,
i can ping 2 and 3 from 1 by ip but not bythe comp names.

comp2-- i can ping comp 1 by name not ip, and i can ping comp 3 by ip but not name.

comp3-- can see 1 by name not ip ***this is unusual by name it gives the ip form the att router**
it can see 2 by ip not name.

i know it is kind of confusing, but like i said i hae had this running for years no problem.

big thanks,
craig

Solution
You can't access the main computer from the others as well?Because if you can,you could do this easily.What I did as well if it might help you was reinstalling tcp ip

ender2003

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I have 2 suggestions. It seems like the IP addresses of the PCs may have changed when you reset the router since you can ping by IP but not by hostname. Does it even resolve if you try to ping by name? If not, clear the dns cache (ipconfig /flushdns) and then try again.

My other suggestion would be to try changing the workgroup name (if it was named Workgroup, make it Workgroup2) on all 3 pcs and see if they can communicate then.

Otherwise, if you had mapped drives to the other machines, disconnect the mapped drive and create it again. Ok, I guess that was 3 suggestions, not 2...

craign924

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
hello,

no the ips did not change.

ipconfig/dnsflush did not work.

changed the workgroup name on all three comp.-- i can see the folders now for my computer.

i have no mapped drives.

after further investigation when i ping "thezone" ( its name) from comp 1, i get the ip 192.168.2.xxx of comp1.

now when i ping "thezone" on comp2 and comp3 it gives me the ip from the router ip on the att router.
192.168.1.xx.

i am not sure how to interpret this, let alone figure out what to change.

i changed both routers back to there default.

craign924

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

craign924

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
hello still need help,

after 2 days of working i can ping all computers by name now. from all cops

i can ping all computers by ip. from all comps

i can see all workgroup computers on 2 and 3.

i can not see workgroup computers on computer 1 (the main computer).

when i click my network places> view workgroup computers, my shared folder for that computer appears
and my printer, but it will jsut beep no warning or anything, just a beep, weird huh?

anybody any ideas????

thanks,

craig

yimmi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I had the same problem the lan was working perfectly though just make shortcuts,it must be a windows issue,since you can ping the computers make shortcut folder for your main computer and I think it will work perfectly,I had made workgroups several times and I always had issue with one pc not being seen on view workgroup but the lan was(is) working perfectly after using shortcuts,windows what can you say.....:p

craign924

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

thanks yimmy,

i think my problem goes a little deeperthan that.

but thanks for the suggestion. i can not access the other computers from the main computer, only the ping works.

yimmi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
You can't access the main computer from the others as well?Because if you can,you could do this easily.What I did as well if it might help you was reinstalling tcp ip

Solution