Sign in with
Your question

Mid life upgrade, replacing a 5770 on a LGA1156 system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2012 9:54:35 PM

Greets,

--

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2012Q3

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 3-5 Screen office work, gaming (w/ 3 EVE Online clients in extended displays or 1 EVE Online client in Eyefinity)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: i5-760 (slight OC to 3.66, might push higher), 450W PSU (will need to replace most likely)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: P7P55D vanilla board. Current 8Gb DDR3-1333 will be swapped out for 16Gb DDR3-1333/1600.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Canadian suppliers, NCIX vaguely preferred. Open to international sellers (eBay account since 97) and used gear.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Vague preference for ATI parts, not important

OVERCLOCKING: Yes CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently 2x 1920*1080, looking for this times 3 or 5.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Budget is not fixed, hoping to save a few bucks by going used. Downtime will be filled with GPU bitcoin mining (low priority upgrade, but still interested in preferred options). 60% of the system use is work/school. Currently able to game decently with 3 EVE-O clients at reduced detail.

--

Basically looking to extend the usable life of this system, interested in 2x GPU setups though I'd be curious to hear about 4x GPU setups even with the PCIe restrictions. From what I understand I should be getting either PCIe 2.0 8x/8x or 16x/4x with a dual setup.

3x monitor plan involves sourcing an E3 version of the 5770, unless someone has a better idea.
5x monitor plan is more vague, looking at various E6 cards but I'm unsure how to proceed in regards to active/passive DP adaptors. Would prefer to pony up decent cash on a single card with 5/6 non-DP outputs.

Ultimate goal is a 3/5 eyefinity work surface with decent gains for gaming and if possible significant Mhash/s gains as a tertiary goal.

As stated previously I'm wide open to used gear, since this isn't a state of the art system aymore.

Thanks in advance!
July 12, 2012 10:16:29 PM

Quick comment on the Mhash/s upgrade thing, with FPGA miners coming out very soon GPU mining will tank. On one hand this means this really isn't an important goal for this upgrade.

On the other, you guys should hang around the bitmining forums, folks will be dumping hardware like crazy! :D 
m
l
!