freedomweasel

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Looking for some advice on this build. I've built a few computers in the past, but that was about a decade ago so I'm a bit rusty. Looking to do general home pc stuff, and gaming. I currently just play older games but I plan on using this computer for Guild Wars 2, Sins of Solar Empire, Tribes, etc. I'll be getting a 1920x1080 monitor at some point, and while it'd be nice to run everything maxed out, I just want games to run better than they do on my PS3.

Some of the rebates end today so hopefully I can get some feedback on it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($113.49 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Video Card ($156.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Vulcan Black MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($52.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 450W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $581.40
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-31 03:11 EDT-0400)

I picked the newer H77 over H61 for the possibility of moving up to an ivy bridge cpu at some point, but apparently the USB3 and SATAIII is nicer on the newer chips too? I might grab an SSD or something, so having SATAIII would be nice, right?
The power supply is a little more expensive than the Corsair CX500 I was also considering, but seems to be a lot nicer. Is it worth an extra $20 to get the rosewill?

A little unsure on the card, but it's the 900Mhz OC version of the 560, which should perform pretty well. I found it for $135, and for that price I don't think anything else is going to compete.

Lastly, how would this compare to a build with an X4 965 BE instead of the i3? They seem to be relatively similar in games, but how do the extra cores come into play with regular computer use? (Dozens of web browser tabs, music, videos, etc) The 965 is about $20 cheaper, but the mATX motherboard selection for AM3+ doesn't seem as good.

Thanks!

Hi there!Well your doing a very low budget gaming build and i think you did quite well the PSU is more than worth it's price Rosewill has come a long way in the past few years. This power supply has gotten not only great reviews, but its been dissected by anandtech and was shown to be one of the better power supplies out there.It's built by Superflower which is a company that builds top notch PS pretty much safe to say it much better than the Corsair CX500 any member says otherwise "bring it on" jk, i have no problem proving you dead wrong lol.As for the case you picked a bit over priced you can do better for cheaper but if you really like it or something then keep it other than that if you want a ssd now is the time to get one of the most reliable fastest ones that usually sells for around 20 more http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7pc064dam as for how it will compare to amd build i rather not go there lol i will let a differnt member explain it if there up to the task anyways all in all you did a good job i don't have any other recommendations unless you were wanting to up your budget which i highly doubt hope this helps enjoy!