Sign in with
Your question

Need help deciding on an AMD vs Intel situation.

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2013 6:56:41 PM

The Goal: Buy the HP Envy Ultrabook/Sleekbook this week.
The Problem: CPU decision is clear, but money is a problem, so I have to compromise.

The Options: 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
-- OR --
AMD Quad-Core A10-4655M Processor (2.8GHz/2.0GHz, 4MB L2 Cache) + HD 7500G Discrete-Class Graphics

Budget: $800 TOTAL, which means tax, shipping blah blah blah.

I took the cheaper Envy 'Sleekbook' version that starts at $499, upgraded everything i needed—backlit keyboard, +4GB of RAM (maxed to 8GB), and more... and got the STARTING price ($699) of the original model I wanted. Which is the official 'Ultrabook' model, with the i5 w/ turbo boost.

THE QUESTION PLAIN AS DAY: Intel i5 + 4GB RAM and MAYBE no backlit keyboard...
OR AMD Quad-Core A10 w/ 8GB RAM, backlit keyboard. —Will all these apps even work on the AMD architecture? Which apps don't?

—I've heard even the i5 has owned the A10...
so what I will be using it for is this. ALL Adobe Creative Suite products, Presonus Studio One (AUDIO EDITING) just like Pro Tools. Just so you know.

Any help I'd appreciate it <3
I know theres posts like this, but here there's my specific budget, etc.
Thanks.
a c 141 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 14, 2013 7:20:38 PM

Since you are doing more computational type work than gaming I would say I5. both processors are 'in the same league' so if you see one on a good sale I would take it over the other.

Also, dont pay the manufacturer to upgrade your ram. They charge rediculas amounts. I would guess you could upgrade to 16gb of ram yourself for the same price they would charge for +4.

Newegg has a 16gb kit on shellshocker today for $65. Whats HP charging you for 4?
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...
Related resources
January 14, 2013 7:36:38 PM

popatim said:
Since you are doing more computational type work than gaming I would say I5. both processors are 'in the same league' so if you see one on a good sale I would take it over the other.

Also, dont pay the manufacturer to upgrade your ram. They charge rediculas amounts. I would guess you could upgrade to 16gb of ram yourself for the same price they would charge for +4.

Newegg has a 16gb kit on shellshocker today for $65. Whats HP charging you for 4?
http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...

Haha you're very very very right... IDK why i haven't thought of that, maybe just impatience. They're charging 100 bucks I believe.... I didnt realize how ridiculous that was til you just brought that up, thank you very much lol.

One more question. Is it best to just order some RAM as well, and put it in PRIOR to the first boot? In my experience with PC's (usually a mac user) there's been complications when you turn it back on with more RAM inside...
January 14, 2013 8:05:02 PM

So if it says DDR3 + 1600mHz, do i HAVE to use the 1600mhz ones? It hows a few other mhz on the ddr3 options Newegg is giving me, aside from that $65 one.. which should work..

PLUS, HP is only offering me up to 8GB, it doesn't say its maximum. (intel says the i5 processor can hande 32..
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2013 8:19:40 PM

Looks like those laptops only have 1 SO-DIMM slot (204pin DDR3), so you're limited to a single 8GB stick.

Shouldn't be much more than $40 though. Ram upgrades is where they price gouge you.
!