Sign in with
Your question

Video card upgrade?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2012 12:04:12 AM

hi, i built my current system back in 2009 and went with galaxy video cards which was a big mistake. they worked great for the first year then the first one died, had two running sli. i play world of warcraft and need a new video card, because after 10 to 20 minutes the current galaxy nvidia 9600gt overheats and i lose video. I can afford a card under $100 right now because its being bought as a gift for me. my system specs are

asus p6t deluxe version 2
intel i7 920
12gb kingston ram
2x 1tb western digital's in striped raid array
antec 850 watt psu

also the video card must be nvidia and have hdmi because i use a 46 inch sony bravia tv dedicated as a monitor. i used to be a computer technician, but have been away from it for awhile and don't have much time to research. thinking of going with this card, but would appreciate some advice.
MSI N430GT-MD4GD3 GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 4GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : video card upgrade

a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 12:12:52 AM

At around 100 bucks your going to have a challange finding any nvidia product that will out perfom the failing 9600gt. That GT430 will perform about the same maybe a tiny bit better.

I would look at the AMD6770 or the 7750. They will be twice as fast as teh gt430 and should drive the tv with HDMI and audio no problem.

m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2012 12:15:56 AM

I bought ati when i first got into computers back in 1998, and haven't bought another since. as far as i am concerned nvidia is the only thing available
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 12:18:22 AM

Hate to say it, but that kind of prejudice is going to limit the amount of power you can get from nVidia in the sub-$100 market.
m
l
July 13, 2012 12:42:29 AM

i wish i could afford to buy my own, but life has it's ups and downs. I got laid off from computer tech job like 2 weeks after i built my system. it took me 9 to 10 months to find another job, and only thing i could find was driving taxi. which was an ok gig until i got rear ended by a drunk driver the morning of st. patrick's day. now i am looking at having to have back surgery or be paralyzed from the waist down. the doctor says i may if i am lucky make it 2 to 3 years without surgery before i end up in a wheelchair. the drunk had a .25 bac and only 25k worth of insurance which is not nearly enough to cover surgery. so i am kind of screwed. my only hope is my lawyer wants to go after the bar that over served the drunk guy, because its against the law for them to continue to serve someone who is visibly intoxicated. if my lawyer is successful i could be looking at getting my surgery plus 3 times my medical and lost wages for pain and suffering, but that may take a year or two to get to a jury for them to decide. so i just had my 37th b-day last monday, and my mother told me to find a card under $100 and she would get it as a gift. she says my guild is failing apart without me. with my back injury i am only able to work a few hours then have to come home and lay down for a few hours and rest my back. which doesn't leave much time for wow, and makes it difficult to manage the bills. so i really can't go over $100 on a video card and nvidia has earned my trust. just like asus and western digital over the years. i am not looking for the best card out there. I used to be able to run wow at max settings with my nvidia 9600 gt. so i am looking for a new nvidia card that will run wow with max settings and no video lag that will work in my system.
m
l
July 13, 2012 12:48:36 AM

bucknutty said:
At around 100 bucks your going to have a challange finding any nvidia product that will out perfom the failing 9600gt. That GT430 will perform about the same maybe a tiny bit better.

I would look at the AMD6770 or the 7750. They will be twice as fast as teh gt430 and should drive the tv with HDMI and audio no problem.

i doubt my mobo is compatible with the pci 3.0 on this card. so even if i considered that other type not sure it would work properly
m
l
July 13, 2012 1:01:39 AM

TulsaDeath said:
i doubt my mobo is compatible with the pci 3.0 on this card. so even if i considered that other type not sure it would work properly

PCI-e gen 3 is backwards compatible with PCI-e 2.1, 2.0, and 1.0. You'd just be restricted to the respective generations bandwidth, which truth be told, won't make a difference. PCI-e 3.0 is more of a marketing thing than a practical thing with tangible usage in the consumer market. So, if you stick PCI-e 3 card in a PCI-e 2 slot, you just get PCI-e 2 bandwidth.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 105 U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 1:14:41 AM

i don't want to pick on your social situation because we all have hard times....i feel for you..... but as a computer "tech" you're not very bright. you totally dismiss viable alternatives for the sake of being a "fanboy". too much of that from "non" experts on this site. if you can get better performance at that price point from the other team you need to take advantage of it. sounds like money is near and dear. you should look into it more ( bench mark reviews for your needs from several different sites ) before making a decision.
m
l
July 13, 2012 1:30:22 AM

i do like your answer and its not that i am a fan boy its just the simple fact i go with what i have tried and know to be good its like the company galaxy that made my nvidia 9600gt i will never buy a card or anything again because of the issues i had with them, but i am not going into the bad taste they have left with me. like i said i have been away from teching for awhile. the pain i go through daily and the medications are the reason i haven't researched it. i am lucky to remember my own name at times with this stuff they have me on. so it makes it hard to try to think about all the aspects i need to. really need to do the research, but can't keep my head clear enough. does that explain why i am not very bright. i wonder how bright you would be in my situation?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2012 2:32:42 AM

Perhaps a Nvidia 9800gt or a gts250. Both would be a good bit better than the 9600 and can be had on ebay for around 50-60. I got a GTS250 1gb brand new for my bro for around $45
m
l
July 13, 2012 3:25:52 AM

TulsaDeath said:
i do like your answer and its not that i am a fan boy its just the simple fact i go with what i have tried and know to be good its like the company galaxy that made my nvidia 9600gt i will never buy a card or anything again because of the issues i had with them, but i am not going into the bad taste they have left with me.

I know what you mean... I've good experiences with Radeon cards, all from different manufacturers. I had the 4550, 4650, Mobility 4650 in my laptop, and a 5830, all with no problems. I had a bad experience with MSI and NVidia GPU's. Liked the 560-Ti, but I RMA'd it for constant crashes. They sent me a 570 eventually, which I later found had bad memory. As it got worse, I swapped it out for my Radeon 5830, which actually had smoother performance. Then I learned:
Quote:
Fermi and AMD * Islands use the error detection facility on GDDR5 memory. If your memory is messed up, the controller is going to waste a lot of time requesting retransmissions, which will pretty much destroy your performance.

So pretty much, my bad experience wasn't necessarily nvidia's fault.

Moral of the story: the manufacturer (MSI, Galaxy, HIS, XFX, etc) has a more to do with reliability and quality vs the chip designer (AMD/Ati, Nvidia).

More on my experience here, if interested: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/793381.aspx

However, I'm probably not going to get another nVidia GPU, not because of the bad experience, but because of the piss-poor Linux support. :lol:  I <3 Linux.
m
l
!