Sign in with
Your question

Lower than expected performance with GTX 680??

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2012 10:00:54 AM

I just finished building my new gaming rig, which consists of:
16gb RAM,
Intel i5 3570k quad core processor @ 3.40GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 680

However, with this new rig (which I thought would probably be able to pretty much destroy any game on ultra), I am having strange performance issues (aka lower than expected framerate), in World of Warcraft, DOTA2, The Witcher 2, Diablo 3, amongst other games. I have reinstalled drivers, and made sure GPU fan is high enough so it isn't overheating. Anyone please have any ideas why I could be having performance problems like this? Thanks in advance.
August 31, 2012 10:12:59 AM

Have you run any benchmarks, to compare your speed with similar rigs? Do you have stock cooling? How big is your psu?
August 31, 2012 10:59:30 AM

+1 for benchmarks.

We need to quantify the performance issue.
Related resources
August 31, 2012 11:24:35 AM

What the last two said!
August 31, 2012 12:16:29 PM

You may need to first adjust your expectations. You can't just turn all settings to "Uber" and expect butter smooth FPS...even with your specs. However, it is not hardware tech that is the issue, per se. It could be program optimization that is choking your performance. Most games still aren't optimized for multi core cpus, drivers not updated to support game engine updates, AA/AF & high rez textures hitting big on performance, etc...

Try tweaking the games' visual settings individually. start low, then scale upwards one level at a time (resolution, AA, AF, shadows, etc.). Make sure you dont have other (un-needed) background processes running, as well. As long as you are not crashing/BSOD'ing I wouldn't assume hardware. Low FPS is usually indicative of a processing choke point.
August 31, 2012 12:52:10 PM

My PSU is 900W. I'm using stock cooling on my graphics card and CPU at the moment, although can install a water cooler on my CPU but I don't know if that will help the situation. Here is a link to my benchmark result on 3D MARK 11:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4265209
!