Sign in with
Your question

Micro-itx Gaming build

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2012 10:29:53 AM

Hey guys. Im new here. Ive been doing a bit of research on micro-atx systems and i like the size. I am in college and move around alot, so portibility is important to me. I am looking for some help. I havnt completly put my build together but i have picked out the motherboard i think that i want.

It is going to be one of the two: (I figure the better the motherboard the better the over all life of my machine)

*Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im leaning towards this one because it seems to have a fantastic audio chipset.

*RAM

This should be pretty simple. Im planning on getting 8gb because i dont see a need for more intill the future. I do not plan on OC my RAM, however; i am open for reccomendations on the memory speed.

* Processor
I am planning on getting a intel i series 3rd generation. I havnt decided between an i5 or i7 yet. Itll probally depend what the overall price comes out to be. I do plan on doing overclocking on the cpu. I am planning on using Liquid Cooling for my cpu. This is the liquid cooling system i plan on using.

Im new to liquid cooling so let me know what your think of this choice.

* Gpu
And this is where i am really needing help. First of i would like to try to have a crossfire or Sli set up. My motherboard supports it. Next if the price is right i would mind having my gpu run through pcie 3.0. The problem isnt neccisarily picking out the gpu. I know i need to get it short enough to fit into my case. I am trying to decide if i should get 2 gpus or just one powerful one. Any input on this part would be helpful. The biggest problem im seeing myself facing is my cooling options. I would absolutley love to have liquid cooling for this, however; that seems like a touch task. I cam across a post of someone doing that but is gpu/cpu/cooling sytem alone cost him a grand. So i guess my question is do you think i could fit a reasonably priced liquid cooling system in this box and would it even be able to fit (Im kinda thinking that if i for go the dual gpus this would be more realistic). Im thinking the answer is going to be no so ill move on to the next cooling option i found that seemed viable. I found some aftermarket air coolers for gpus on newegg. So now the question comes up of will it fit. Before i continue let me show the one i think has the best chance of fitting.

This to my knowlegde is pretty skinny for an aftermarket cooler. And if i want to try to use dual gpus then the smaller the cooling the better.

**I understand these are alot of questions so ill sumarize to try to make reading this easier for you guys(I am asking for your help afterall so it's the least i can do).

-Should i go with dual gpus or a single powerful one.

-Is liquid cooling an option with the information ive given you so far.

-If i do use dual gpus, do you think that the aftermarket cooler i list would fit on my mother board.

-If i use one gpu i would think it be easier to add a cooler system to my bax(esspecially so with gpu liquid cooling). Correct me if im wrong

- and finally what are some good graphics cards for my desired set up.

* Case
Im still looking around for a case. I really want a micro-atx cube styled one. Something slick. But it also need to be able to hold everything i need it to. So does anyone have any suggestions. Im assuming with liquid cooling It would need to have a certain amount of fans and place to hold the tubes. I would also like 3.0 usb support.

* Power Supply
This is the least researched area for me so far. I know that one major constraint could be lack of power, however; I feel like focusing on the other things is more important so i can know if what i desire if even possible. (any comments on this would also be helpful.

* Everything else
I cant think of to much else. Theres little odds and ends that seem pretty stright forward

-For the hard drive ill just fit whatever fits in the available drives. Not terribly picky about this one. If i have room for 2 i would mind one of them being a 80Gb SSD.

-If there is any room for a blu-ray lll add one(however i dont think im gonna buy intill mt initial build is complete

I think that covers everything for now. Thanks to all who read that(I realize it is alot.) And sorry for my poor spelling, that has never been my strong point

The amount of money im willing to spend is variable. Im selling my onld gaming laptop tohelp pay for this so im assuimg 1000 is a good estimate on the price im willing to spend.

More about : micro itx gaming build

August 31, 2012 10:46:42 AM

Im not sure if double posting on here is bad, but im not sure if there is an edit button.
After thinking about it i have a few more things to add.

First off i have a monitor that will work for me at first

Next im leaning towards liquid cooling for my cpu

Im think liquid cooling for my gpu may end up getting to expensive and will limit the choice of cases i have to choose from

For my initial build i will probally just get 1 gpu; however, the option for crossfire/sli is important for the life of my machine.

I will probally use a after market cooler for my gpus so the question on can i fit two coolers in this set up is important. I would also like my system to be remotly quiet however if this is not possible its no a deal breaker.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 10:53:35 AM

To answer your summarised questions.

Dual or single GPU - i would personally go for 1 gpu to save heat and space.

liquid cooling - will really depend on the case you choose as to how much room you have.

gpu liquid cooling - you're not wrong, it would be easier to fit with only 1

To answer a lot of the questions it would be helpful to know what cases you had in mind.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 10:56:42 AM

I would prefer to go with the second motherboard you have listed - ASUS Z77, newer, better, and will most likely last longer than that Z77 board feature wise.

However, for the rest of your configuration, it will depend on your budget. We cannot make any recommendations without knowing that, unfortunately.

Though I will leave you with a few suggestions.

CPU - i5 3570k. It's not worth getting a i7 for gaming as most games can't take advantage of the extra threads it can provide from Hyperthreading.

GPU - Don't get an aftermarket GPU cooler. Most GPU's nowadays will come with aftermarket coolers from the factory; thus, making any other options irrelevant. They often times perform up to 30%-40% quieter and cooler than the reference cooler as well.

RAM - Great choice of RAM capacity, 8GB is more than you'll ever need. Just be sure to choose 1600Mhz and 1.5v!

PSU - Choose something reasonable, preferably a 650w unit from Seasonic, Antec, PC Power&Cooling, Corsair. 650w is more than enough for you to run any GPU on the market (No dual GPU cards such as GTX590, 690, but it will run any single GPU card. I.e GTX670, GTX680, Radeon HD7970, HD7950)

CPU Cooling - Depending on your case, you may want to choose an air cooler. Those all-in-one liquid cooling units do not perform for their price, and are easily beaten by an air-cooled solution that has a much lower price tag. Again, this depends on your case and how much space it has. Generally speaking, if you're going liquid cooling, you want to do a full on custom rig.

That's about all I can think off the top of my head at the moment. If you have anymore questions, feel free to leave them here :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 11:00:15 AM

bootlessxfly said:
Thanks for your quick response. This is the style of case i had in mind. Although im gonna go look a bit more for others.

http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-lanbox-lite-window.ht...

You may want to consider an ITX form factor TBH. Look at the Bitfenix Prodigy :)  great little case! You can fit TONS of hardware in it as well. Someone on this forum made a beastly gaming rig in that particular case.
m
l
August 31, 2012 11:23:50 AM

mocchan said:
You may want to consider an ITX form factor TBH. Look at the Bitfenix Prodigy :)  great little case! You can fit TONS of hardware in it as well. Someone on this forum made a beastly gaming rig in that particular case.

I actually looked at micro-itx first. And was going to go for that. The problem was it didnt support ali or cross fire. Please do let me know if i am wrong because that would be awesome.

This would also bring up the question: In about two years when my gpu isnt top of the line. Will adding a gpu give it a significant performance boost. Or would i be better off getting a new single gpu. If you think heat is really a big problem then it may just be a go with 1 gpu. But if i could manage to control heat( not entirely sure how if aftermarket cooling works no better than regular) which would be the better choice.

My price ringe is probally going to be right around 1000.

And i was thinking an i5 would be a better bang for my buck than an i7

As far as the gpu cooling goes. Would i be able to overclock my gpu with stock cooling. And if not would the aftermarket cooling allow me to do so(Its sounds like the answer to the second part is a no)

And with the Cpu cooling ive always wanted liquid cooling :p . But i guess the question now becomes. Which one of the two will be quieter. And which one will give me the better overclocking ability.

Another case i have identified is this one
http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-armor-a30-sff-case.ht...

Now a new question is would using 4 slots of 2Gb ram give me a speed boost.

And i think the last thing i can think of is if my case doesnt support usb 3.0 but my motherboard does, can i still set it up somehow.

Thanks for your help
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 11:31:51 AM

ITX will not be able to provide Dual GPU support, unfortunately, unless you go with a Dual GPU card such as a GTX690 for example :lol:  but that's $1000 USD already, which is your budget; DEFINITELY out of the question :lol: 

No, using 4 sticks of 2GB RAM will NOT yield better performance. Using two sticks is more than enough due to chipsets other than X79 will not be able to utilise Quad Channel memory.

You don't need to buy a seperate cooler for your GPU if you choose one with an aftermarket cooler already installed. Here are two examples -
Reference Design cooler from Nvidia - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Aftermarket Cooler made and designed by Gigabyte - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
You can get plenty of cooling and OC headroom with the Gigabyte card, and often times, they're around 20C cooler than the Reference cooler.

On a side note, I'll see if I can get a parts list going for you.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 11:40:16 AM

Looking at the case, I'm not even sure if you can fit an H80 in there, forget the NH-D14 I recommended earlier as well :lol: 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($188.90 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($384.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Armor A30 ATX Mini Tower Case ($89.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1073.33
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-31 07:41 EDT-0400)

These are some parts I would personally purchase if I were to build a rig of this size. It's a little over-budget, however, if you would like me to change out a few components, and/or make it so I can meet budget, let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Also, I'll be back in a little bit to recommend you some low profile CPU coolers. You won't be able to OC your CPU as much, but it'll certainly be a better option than the lousy stock Intel cooler :sarcastic: 
m
l
August 31, 2012 11:43:15 AM

Thanks mocchan,
In that case i still currently plan on using the smallest micr-atx i can find but i will look at micro-itx.

And thanks for a part list that will be alot of help.

Would you say that a micro-ipx machine would have just as long of a lifespand(if built properly) as a micro-atx or well any custom built desktop for that matter.

Another question I just thought of is would liquid cooling add a risk to my hardware. Im assuming there is a slight risk seeing as its liquid(Which is the main reason id be willing to pay for a proffesionally made system), but im talking about is that something id need to seriously worry about(im planning on getting extended warrinties on the important stuff if that helps you with your answer).

m
l
August 31, 2012 11:45:13 AM

mocchan said:
Looking at the case, I'm not even sure if you can fit an H80 in there, forget the NH-D14 I recommended earlier as well :lol: 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($188.90 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($384.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Armor A30 ATX Mini Tower Case ($89.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1073.33
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-31 07:41 EDT-0400)

These are some parts I would personally purchase if I were to build a rig of this size. It's a little over-budget, however, if you would like me to change out a few components, and/or make it so I can meet budget, let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

Also, I'll be back in a little bit to recommend you some low profile CPU coolers. You won't be able to OC your CPU as much, but it'll certainly be a better option than the lousy stock Intel cooler :sarcastic: 

This is brilliant =]
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 11:47:43 AM

bootlessxfly said:
Thanks mocchan,
In that case i still currently plan on using the smallest micr-atx i can find but i will look at micro-itx.

And thanks for a part list that will be alot of help.

Would you say that a micro-ipx machine would have just as long of a lifespand(if built properly) as a micro-atx or well any custom built desktop for that matter.

Another question I just thought of is would liquid cooling add a risk to my hardware. Im assuming there is a slight risk seeing as its liquid(Which is the main reason id be willing to pay for a proffesionally made system), but im talking about is that something id need to seriously worry about(im planning on getting extended warrinties on the important stuff if that helps you with your answer).

The possibility of a liquid cooling unit leaking is about as high as your CPU air-cooler breaking your motherboard in half :lol: 

It's very low so I wouldn't worry about it. However, there is that 1% that it potentially could leak, so it may be something to consider. But bear in mind, it's a very small chance, so I wouldn't be too concerned as I have said.

The life-span of a Micro-ITX/M-ATX system is around the same IMO. ITX builds may have a shorter life span due to the limited expansion capabilities, however, by the time you would need to upgrade your parts, I'm sure it would be time to upgrade your entire rig as a whole, so I wouldn't consider longevity a problem :) 
m
l
August 31, 2012 11:57:58 AM

Alright.

I read somewhere that this liquid cooler would fit into my case

here is the link where i found the information

http://www.overclock.net/t/986763/thermaltake-armor-a30...

Now at this point i realize that this isnt the best liquid cooling solution, so, are there any good recomendations for other cooling options. keeping in mind that i would enjoy at some point(If possible) to do a bit of OCing.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 12:00:23 PM

bootlessxfly said:
Alright.

I read somewhere that this liquid cooler would fit into my case

here is the link where i found the information

http://www.overclock.net/t/986763/thermaltake-armor-a30...

Now at this point i realize that this isnt the best liquid cooling solution, so, are there any good recomendations for other cooling options. keeping in mind that i would enjoy at some point(If possible) to do a bit of OCing.

If that cooler can fit in your case, it would be very suitable for a mild OC. However, I can't expect it to take you to the 4.5Ghz range.
m
l
August 31, 2012 12:06:46 PM

mocchan said:
If that cooler can fit in your case, it would be very suitable for a mild OC. However, I can't expect it to take you to the 4.5Ghz range.

i do beleive ill go with one of your air flow cooling options. Seems like the best option for this box.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 1:15:42 PM

I have a Lian Li PC-Q08R in my mini-ITX build. It uses standard sized parts, and can mount more drives than most mini-ITX boards have ports. It will limit you to a low profile cooler though.
Avoid the Apevia X-QPack2. It's a brilliant design, but the material quality is awful and the workmanship is the worst I've ever seen on a case.
I was able to get the ASRock Z77e-ITX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $80 from HardwareSecrets after they reviewed it. Its biggest weakness is having only four SATA ports (two each of 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s), BUT it has a mSATA slot on its underside in addition to the mini-PCI slot that holds its wireless card, so you can put a SSD there and still run a RAID1 for your data.
The case will fit a double-slot video card. I have a HD7770 in mine, but may put my HD7870 in it instead. I'm using a mostly-modular 550W Antec Truepower New; a modular PSU is pretty much a requirement in that case.
m
l
September 1, 2012 1:09:48 AM

After seeing the bitfenix prodigy. I'm gonna go back to the drawing boards and see what I can come up with for that case. It looks pretty sweet
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 1, 2012 2:05:47 AM

bootlessxfly said:
After seeing the bitfenix prodigy. I'm gonna go back to the drawing boards and see what I can come up with for that case. It looks pretty sweet

Good to know you went for that option :) 

You can fit an H100 in that case if you preferred (I'll allow that cooler for this case ;)  ) so you could do some massive OCing as long as you choose a decent motherboard :) 
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:12:52 AM

Haha you read my mind. That's one of the first things I noticed. Once I put a decent build together I'll post it for you guys to see.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 1, 2012 2:14:39 AM

bootlessxfly said:
Haha you read my mind. That's one of the first things I noticed. Once I put a decent build together I'll post it for you guys to see.

Will do! :)  Kind of anxious to see what you can come up with!
m
l
September 1, 2012 2:15:51 AM

Alright I'll have it posted for you by tomorrow then.
m
l
September 1, 2012 9:24:46 PM

Note that things listed after "//" will not be abought in the initial build and is on my wishlist

The case
(BitFenix Prodigy case)
This is the only black case i can find. I really want the black one. == $ 79
But im not sure if i trust this site or not.
+ http://www.lockwaresystems.com/Prodigy-352.html
Or there is the white case. == $ 79.99
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(ASRock Z77E-ITX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard)
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... == 149.99

(Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor)
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... == $ 229.99

(Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) )
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(HDD)
There will be two. A SSD to run just my OS on. And then a regular 1TB 3.5" hdd. I already have
a 2tb external hdd so storage should be a problem for a while.

--3.5" HDD (Western Digital AV-GP WD10EUCX 1TB IntelliPower 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive)
--This is refurbisehed so i might go with a brand ne drive
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... == 69.99
--New alternative hdd(Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive)
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... == 69.99
--2.5" SSD (OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC)
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... == $ 59.99

(PSU)
(CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply)
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... == $ 59.99

(Optical Drive)
(SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW)
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... == $ 14.99

(Cpu liquid cooling)
(CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler)
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... == $ 114.99

(Gpu)
(MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card)
+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... == $ 329.99

// Gpu cooling
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/589/accelero-hybr... == $ 179.99
I will fit this right above the fan on the front. Im not entrirely sure itll fit. But its not a big deal if i cant get. The MSI card seems perfectly capable of cooling and OC.

Ill also not i plan on replacing the fans on the case at some point. If i dont use gpu liquid cooling ill make the front one into a 230 mm fan. However they are all out of stock at newegg. Ill look more into to it later.

Also i may end up going with the new HDD since i have a 2 TB external one already

Total Price == $ 1150.90

Not a bad price if i do say so myself

On a side note. Just posted my Alienware laptop on Amazon. Looks like Ill be using my Arch Linux laptop for everything as opposed to just school in till this build is done. ;p

Any comments?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 1, 2012 10:13:09 PM

Do away with the GPU cooling unit, the MSI Twin Frozr is already a great cooler, it would be such a waste to use it on that. If you need an aftermarket GPU cooler, get a REFERENCE design HD7950.

Besides that, get rid of that OCZ SSD, and pick up a Crucial M4 or Samsung 830; they're much higher in reliability.

Everything else seems fine.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2012 2:44:55 AM

I agree with mocchan. Get a non-Sandforce SSD like the ones he suggested.
I'd be cautious about any refurbished drive. Many drive makers have horribly shortened their warranties, some to as little as a year (e.g. Samsung Spinpoints). Most (but not all) of the WD Black drives still have a five year warranty; I'd go for one of those.
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:16:26 AM

Ya i agree with refurbished drive. The price is appealing. but 500 gb hdd should be fine since i already have a 2 tb external. And the gpu cooling unit was really just something i wanted but probally am not going to pick up since its close to 200 dollers. The stock msi cooler seems fairly beefy. Thanks for the suggestions on the ssd. Ill change that when i do my finalized buy. I am very excited for this build

Thanks for the input guys.
m
l
September 2, 2012 8:50:27 PM

One more question. Do i need to worry about a sound card. Or does the Realtek audio on my mother board be good.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2012 9:18:20 PM

bootlessxfly said:
One more question. Do i need to worry about a sound card. Or does the Realtek audio on my mother board be good.

Unless you have a $300 sound system already, or have a pair of $1000 headphones, I wouldn't worry about a sound card. The on-board audio most motherboards come with nowadays are plenty good :) 
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:27:50 PM

Well i have a 400 doller Bose sound system i bought a while ago. Its pretty high quality in my opinion. Im a bit of an audiophile. So assuming i decide not to get a audio card at first, is there going to be a place to add one into an itx board later on. This isnt extactly a deal breaker but will be useful information especially when i buy my new sound system.

Next. If i have a 240 mm rad on the top of this case, the optical drive will block on of the fans. So should i just ditch the optical drive. The only thing i can think of a optical drive that would be useful is installing windows 7( but hey we have usb boot mediums now) and burning audio cds witch i can either get an external dvd/blueray burner or use my school laptop to do that. So im thinking that i dont need it. Any thoughts on that

EDIT
I found i can put a sound card in a pci express slot since i have one witch will live me to use usb for wifi(i may try to find a way to connect my usb wireless card through usb and keep it on the inside of the case if i can) although i will probally be using direct ethernet connection 90 percent of the time anyways

And i do think Im gonna ditch my optical bay.

Once i get this baby built ill post some pictures in case someone else in interested in doing a similar build.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2012 9:38:18 PM

bootlessxfly said:
Well i have a 400 doller Bose sound system i bought a while ago. Its pretty high quality in my opinion. Im a bit of an audiophile. So assuming i decide not to get a audio card at first, is there going to be a place to add one into an itx board later on. This isnt extactly a deal breaker but will be useful information especially when i buy my new sound system.

Next. If i have a 240 mm rad on the top of this case, the optical drive will block on of the fans. So should i just ditch the optical drive. The only thing i can think of a optical drive that would be useful is installing windows 7( but hey we have usb boot mediums now) and burning audio cds witch i can either get an external dvd/blueray burner or use my school laptop to do that. So im thinking that i dont need it. Any thoughts on that

In that case, yes, a sound card will benefit you GREATLY! I've heard very good things about this sound card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... However, it may be better to post a thread about sound cards so more experienced people could answer for this :) 

Personally, I don't use an optical driver anymore, and even when I do need it, I usually connect it externally and disconnect it afterwards. But like you said, we have USB drives for our OS's and so many other things now that I'm thinking optical drives are becoming obsolete :lol:  Though, of course, there will always be a place for them.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2012 9:42:28 PM

You're very welcome! And actually, it's funny you bring that up, because I'm personally interested in building myself a very similar rig in a Bitfenix Prodigy :lol:  (though this will be a project few months down the road)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2012 9:43:01 PM

bootlessxfly said:
EDIT
I found i can put a sound card in a pci express slot since i have one witch will live me to use usb for wifi(i may try to find a way to connect my usb wireless card through usb and keep it on the inside of the case if i can) although i will probally be using direct ethernet connection 90 percent of the time anyways

And i do think Im gonna ditch my optical bay.

Once i get this baby built ill post some pictures in case someone else in interested in doing a similar build.

I'll be looking forward to those pictures! ;) 
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:48:31 PM

mocchan said:
You're very welcome! And actually, it's funny you bring that up, because I'm personally interested in building myself a very similar rig in a Bitfenix Prodigy :lol:  (though this will be a project few months down the road)

Ahh it looks like our conersation has been mutually benificial then. Good to hear. This is my first attempt at a desktop build(or really should i say my first venture into the hardware side of computers) so your feedback has helped me from making many first timer mistakes. It may be a few weeks before i get everything settled out to buy this depending on how fast my alienware m15x sells.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 2, 2012 9:51:50 PM

bootlessxfly said:
Ahh it looks like our conersation has been mutually benificial then. Good to hear. This is my first attempt at a desktop build(or really should i say my first venture into the hardware side of computers) so your feedback has helped me from making many first timer mistakes. It may be a few weeks before i get everything settled out to buy this depending on how fast my alienware m15x sells.

Yes, it has been mutually beneficial and I'm starting to get an idea of how I want my rig! :)  So it was very helpful for me too.

Also, I'm very glad I have been of assistance! Hopefully your M15X sells so you can start this bad boy! Good luck and have fun!
m
l
September 3, 2012 9:31:08 PM

Im going to replace my h100 with a custom water cooling system.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16893/ex-wat-221/XSPC...
with this liquid cooling system ill replace the two fans with these:
This will rate me in at roughly 20 dba in noise.

Then for my front intake im going to use this

dBa rated at 19 and cfm at 110

For rear exhaust im going to use

dBa rating 16 dBa and cfm 61

This is good airflow and overall low noise level from cooling.

Now my gpu MSI Twin Frozr III is rated in at 32 dba on a heavy loud and 28 on idle.

Any ideas how i can get this down to where the rest of my system is.(around 25dba) while still being able to overclock it.

And does everything ive done to my machine make since.

Total cost is 1200 right now. A little higher than intended.

My overall goal is to get my systems dBa under 30. I dont care if i use air cooling or liquid to acheive this.

Thanks
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 4, 2012 8:38:17 PM

bootlessxfly said:
Im going to replace my h100 with a custom water cooling system.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16893/ex-wat-221/XSPC...
with this liquid cooling system ill replace the two fans with these:
This will rate me in at roughly 20 dba in noise.

Then for my front intake im going to use this

dBa rated at 19 and cfm at 110

For rear exhaust im going to use

dBa rating 16 dBa and cfm 61

This is good airflow and overall low noise level from cooling.

Now my gpu MSI Twin Frozr III is rated in at 32 dba on a heavy loud and 28 on idle.

Any ideas how i can get this down to where the rest of my system is.(around 25dba) while still being able to overclock it.

And does everything ive done to my machine make since.

Total cost is 1200 right now. A little higher than intended.

My overall goal is to get my systems dBa under 30. I dont care if i use air cooling or liquid to acheive this.

Thanks

Woots! ;)  Custom Water Loops! ;)  You may want to post this in the Watercooling section of this forum just to make sure everything is compatible before you purchase it.

However, from what I understand, most rooms are already around 30-35 dBa, so I don't think you would really notice it. I'm not sure how some companies get their ratings of 15dBa on certain products, but it certainly is suspicious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgcZ_yitcQ This should give you a rough idea IMO, granted this is a 560 Ti, but the cooler design is more refined on your GTX670; should be quieter.
m
l
September 4, 2012 8:58:04 PM

This is my current build then.

What do you think

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gAhu
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gAhu/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gAhu/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial M4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($68.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($322.86 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($43.65 @ NCIX US)
Other: RS 240 Rad unit ($149.99)
Other: Cool master 200mm case fan ($22.99)
Other: Bitfenix 140mm rear fan ($15.99)
Total: $1182.37
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-04 21:43 EDT-0400)
m
l
!