Display driver has stopped working and recovered problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallex12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Hello, it seems I am haveing issues with my video card. Whenever I play a game I can play for a couple of minutes maybe 10 minutes and some games as long as 30 minutes then the game either freezes and does not let me do anything from then on or freezes, goes to a black screen, then comes back and I get a notification saying "Display driver has stopped working and recovered"
first i'll give you my computer specs.
- amd 6 core 3.3ghz processor
- amd 7770 video card
- 2x4 gigabytes of gskill ripjaws ram
- m5a97 motherboard
- 1 tb samsung hdd
- 650 watt psu (sunbeam)

I have tried multiple things including everything on this article that I got from amd tech support:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-27116RadeonSeries-ATIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerrormessages.aspx

Also when I go to device manager here is my driver for my graphics card http://imgur.com/Z9KhS. I have downloaded the latest one 2 times to make sure but im still not sure if this is the right one because the dates are different. I also have the latest drivers for everything else and i have updated my bios tot he latest version.

If there are any other questions regarding my hardware or software, just ask. Also, I built my computer from scratch and as far as I know I have the latest driver updates. Otherwise, does anyone know a possible solution to my problem?

Solution
The logical steps that I would have taken to determine the problem:

1)Complete format of HDD (Meaning the whole 1TB!) & reinstall windows 7.
If it still exists then:
2)Swap the PSU for a branded (Antec,Corsair,OCZ,Seasonic..) working 500W model (borrowed from friends/family member).
If it still exists then:
3)Take out the Graphics Card & see if it runs ok with any other setup or swap the card with another one. (again a little help from friends)

If it's not fixed with all above steps done correctly, it's a faulty motherboard.

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I regret to tell you "sunbeam" is not a recognized brand. Anyway this problem is happening only with games? Does it happen while playing HD 1080p videos? Which antivirus software are you using?

wallex12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
If the PSU can't supply enough power, wouldn't that mean that the computer would overheat? So far I haven't had any problems with the temperature. Also, it seems to run 1080p videos just fine on Youtube. I am using malwarebytes and security essentials both on active protection, I have also tried playing games with both those off and it did not help. I have scanned for viruses and I have none.

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

No, it won't overheat at all. Power = (I)^2xR. During gaming or full load HD7770 draws about 80Watts. So if the PSU can't deliver the required current, it won't run. Do a clean install of Windows & try loading latest catalyst 12.7beta from http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalystbetadriver1.aspx. Also make sure the card is properly seated in PCIex16 slot & the power connector is connected. Let us know if these steps solve your problem.

wallex12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I will try doing a clean install but I would much rather avoid doing that if I can. If I do a clean install can i reuse the key I used for windows 7? Also one more piece of info to add, I am having trouble downloading a lot of the windows updates. Most of them fail when I try to download and install them. They also fail when the are trying to be installed after a restart.

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

I understand that. :D

Yes you can. If due to some reason online activation fails, try phone activation.

It is possible that there is some problem with your windows installation.

wallex12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Ok, I am now installing the beta driver like you suggested and i will get back to you with the results. Also I have one more question about the whole reinstalling windows thing. Does it like recognize my computer or something so i can use the key again? One more piece of info about my computer, I had to download the iso file for windows since i only had the key but not the disk. Not sure that makes a difference but just so you know.

Thanks

wallex12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Alright i'm back after installing the beta driver and that did not help. I guess I'm just going to call AMD and see if they have any other suggestions. If not then i will do a clean install and see what happens.

Out of curiosity, why should i download the beta and not the latest completed driver?

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
The logical steps that I would have taken to determine the problem:

1)Complete format of HDD (Meaning the whole 1TB!) & reinstall windows 7.
If it still exists then:
2)Swap the PSU for a branded (Antec,Corsair,OCZ,Seasonic..) working 500W model (borrowed from friends/family member).
If it still exists then:
3)Take out the Graphics Card & see if it runs ok with any other setup or swap the card with another one. (again a little help from friends)

If it's not fixed with all above steps done correctly, it's a faulty motherboard.

Solution

wallex12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Ok thanks for the tips, I'll try those out if I can. My cousin is over and he has his computer which has a Radeon HD 6970 and 1000W PSU which is not a name brand although I'm not sure he wants to take apart his computer. Also I did the clean install and tried the game I have been testing things out on with only the drivers for everything in my computer and steam installed and I still got the same problem. One last thing, would the drivers from my previous Graphics Card interfere with a different one I put in?

ujaansona

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

Probably not, but still it's good practice to uninstall the driver completely prior to removing the card & reinstall it after adding the new card. Also update your motherboard's bios to latest version & give one last try before taking out the card.

wallex12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Well I'm finally back and I got my graphics card replaced with another one that is exactly the same. I am still getting the exact same problems so I guess the card was not faulty. I don't have access to another power source so I'm just going to have to buy a new one. Just wanted to give you an update on my situation.

RussK1

Splendid
1) Download Driver Sweeper HERE.
2) Download Catalyst 12.6 drivers HERE. but don't install.
3) Download 12.7 CAP 2 HERE.
4) Custom uninstall all AMD software through Control Panel, select everything and reboot.
5) Run Driver Sweeper and clean AMD drivers and reboot.
6) Re-install CCC and reboot.
7) Install the CAP profile and reboot.

wallex12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Thank you for the list. I have a couple of questions. The link you gave me to the driver sweeper does not work and when I go to the driver sweeper my self there is nothing to download http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Version-3-2-0/. What do you mean by CCC in number 6? Also what does CAP 2 mean?

RussK1

Splendid

Driver Sweeper HERE.

CAP 2 is contains AMD's hotfixes that didn't make it into the driver release. Usually fixes for newer game titles.

RussK1

Splendid

CCC = Catalyst Control Center (which will be in the Catalyst 12.6 download and once installed you right click your desktop and you'll have the "Catalyst Control Center" in the window)

Capture-43.png

The control panel for AMD Radeon video cards...

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

wallex12

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Ok, I did everything in the list and sadly I am still getting the same problem. The next thing I'm going to do is get the motherboard replaced unless anyone has any other suggestions. I'll be back with an update once I put in the new motherboard. I would be willing to try something else if anyone else has any solutions before I send my motherboard back but if not then I will just send it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.