Printing a 4x6 scanned image to a 8x10

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 14, 2005 12:23:08 PM

I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of 600 on a
Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in Photoshop and cropping it
to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit on a 8x10, do I need to resize my
image to an 8x10 and do the right proportions for my pixels or is the
fact that being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped sufficient?
I typically send my photos to Costco for printing.

If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and if
I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:35:00 PM

Today spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
edification:

> I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of
> 600 on a Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in
> Photoshop and cropping it to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit
> on a 8x10, do I need to resize my image to an 8x10 and do
> the right proportions for my pixels or is the fact that
> being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped
> sufficient? I typically send my photos to Costco for
> printing.
>
> If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should
> I use and if I should use resampling at all. Any help is
> greatly appreciated.

In my experience scanning even professional photographs, there
is seldom more than 300 DPI of real image information. But,
scanning at 400-600 DPI would still be my choice as it is free
and only slightly slower and you would get enough PPI for a
decent 8 x 10 print.

But, if the original is fuzzy or noisy or has any noticible
defects, it won't matter much how many DPI you scan at. You
can mitigate but not eliminate most defects but if the
information really isn't in the original, chances of a "good"
8 x 10 drop pretty fast.

Best advice: try a couple and see for yourself.

Incidently, once you've cropped to taste, resizing up will
only reduce image quality. But, if you mean resizing to change
the apparent PPI for some custom print house, then it won't
matter. But, if you're starting with a 4 x 6, I'd save one
version at that aspect ratio and another at 8 x 10 ratio. Why
throw away information you may want later.

One man's opinion, YMMV...

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

majouz@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of 600 on a
> Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in Photoshop and cropping
> it
> to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit on a 8x10, do I need to resize my
> image to an 8x10 and do the right proportions for my pixels or is
> the
> fact that being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped
> sufficient? I typically send my photos to Costco for printing.
>
> If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and
> if I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are the original negatives inaccessible? Maybe the photographer could
supply them, or more perfect prints at any size you want?

--
Frank ess
Related resources

<majouz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of 600 on a
> Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in Photoshop and cropping it
> to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit on a 8x10, do I need to resize my
> image to an 8x10 and do the right proportions for my pixels or is the
> fact that being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped sufficient?
> I typically send my photos to Costco for printing.
>
> If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and if
> I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you want it crystal clear that the desired size is 8x10, you definitely
should change the image to 8x10. No resampling should be necessary.
Jim
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:34:58 AM

<majouz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of 600 on a
> Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in Photoshop and cropping it
> to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit on a 8x10, do I need to resize my
> image to an 8x10 and do the right proportions for my pixels or is the
> fact that being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped sufficient?
> I typically send my photos to Costco for printing.
>
> If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and if
> I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

An 8x10 is more of a square then a 4x6, if you want them to look exactly the
same without cropping you'll need to get 8x12s printed. If you want 8x10s
you should do the croping yourself to make sure you get what you want.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:55:22 AM

Go to www.scantips.com for all your scanning questions.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

"Dirty Harry" <nopsam@nojust.com> wrote in message

> <majouz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm scanning old 4x6 wedding photographs at a resolution of 600 on a
> > Canon scanner. After I do all my editing in Photoshop and cropping it
> > to the right 1:1.25 ratio to fit on a 8x10, do I need to resize my
> > image to an 8x10 and do the right proportions for my pixels or is the
> > fact that being at a resolution of 600 and properly cropped sufficient?
> > I typically send my photos to Costco for printing.
> >
> > If resizing is truly needed, what resampling optios should I use and if
> > I should use resampling at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>

> An 8x10 is more of a square then a 4x6, if you want them to look exactly
the
> same without cropping you'll need to get 8x12s printed. If you want 8x10s
> you should do the croping yourself to make sure you get what you want.
=

whoops* smacks head
!