Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build need help on a few things.

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2012 11:10:03 AM

I was here before, and with a bit of people on here and some of my close family have made me rethink my new build. So Specs wise.

Case: Antec DF-85
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 1200 Watts
Storage HDD: (x2) Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s
Primary SSD: Crucial M4 512GB
Cache SSD: Samsung 830 Sereies 64GB
GPU: 580GTX - Intend to add another for SLI
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
Cooler: Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
SC: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional

I had a few questions about this build, a few others earlier a month or two ago said i could install games onto the storage drives or transfer them over with some software, but one of my concerns I'm having is with the addition of the 512GB SSD would i ever have to format or for say install windows again fresh? And say if i had to do that would i be able to still play the games installed on the storage drives if i did do a whole fresh install onto the SSD. Not sure if that sounded right. Since I'm installing them onto the storage ones if i ever did do a fresh install would i have to reinstall them all over again? And my last question is, does it make any sense for me to have a 64GB SSD as cache since my main will be a SSD? Was just wondering don't know if that even makes any sense :heink:  Thanks again =D

*To clear some confusion things i have already bought for this build -
SC, PSU, Case, Cache SSD, Storage HDD (x1), GPU (x1).*

More about : build things

August 31, 2012 11:14:38 AM

You are overspending money in some areas, your PSU for example. You won't need 1200w even for a GTX580 SLI; a 850w unit will do more than enough.

Also, why a GTX580? (If this is a new build) It's not worth the money as there are better cards out for the money at the moment. It would be wiser to spend the money on a Radeon HD7950 or GTX670.

Also, a small SSD to cache will NOT be worth it as you already have a SSD OS drive.
m
l

Best solution

August 31, 2012 11:26:31 AM

That PSU is very overkill, a 650W for a single card or 750W for dual is plenty sufficient. Also Coolermaster are not the people to buy PSU's from.

That is a quite large SSD, do you really need that much storage? I'm having trouble filling my 128GB. Same with the HDD's.

Dont bother with the cache drive.

Why the GTX580? There are better cards on the market that arent as old at the same price point. The HD7970 Ghz is only $30 more and is roughly the fastest single GPU card on the market.
Sapphire Vapor-X HD7970 Ghz. $470
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Very expensive mobo, you sure you need it?

No reason for Win Ultimate over Home Premium unless you need the niche uses it provides, which very few people do.

Sound card is pointless unless you have a large and extensive surround sound system. Also for how much that mobo costs, you'l be getting great sound from it anyway.
Related resources
August 31, 2012 11:35:37 AM

Spend a little less on the SSD and get a 7970 or a GTX 680 instead :) 

Everything else is fine. And for the Cache SSD, even a 32gb would do.
m
l
August 31, 2012 8:08:13 PM

mocchan said:
You are overspending money in some areas, your PSU for example. You won't need 1200w even for a GTX580 SLI; a 850w unit will do more than enough.

Also, why a GTX580? (If this is a new build) It's not worth the money as there are better cards out for the money at the moment. It would be wiser to spend the money on a Radeon HD7950 or GTX670.

Also, a small SSD to cache will NOT be worth it as you already have a SSD OS drive.

Its a new build minus the GPU, some of the parts mentioned up top i already bought them :cry:  So no need for a cache drive, got ya. Theres no reason at all to need one with a SSD?
m
l
August 31, 2012 8:18:50 PM

manofchalk said:
That PSU is very overkill, a 650W for a single card or 750W for dual is plenty sufficient. Also Coolermaster are not the people to buy PSU's from.

That is a quite large SSD, do you really need that much storage? I'm having trouble filling my 128GB. Same with the HDD's.

Dont bother with the cache drive.

Why the GTX580? There are better cards on the market that arent as old at the same price point. The HD7970 Ghz is only $30 more and is roughly the fastest single GPU card on the market.
Sapphire Vapor-X HD7970 Ghz. $470
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Very expensive mobo, you sure you need it?

No reason for Win Ultimate over Home Premium unless you need the niche uses it provides, which very few people do.

Sound card is pointless unless you have a large and extensive surround sound system. Also for how much that mobo costs, you'l be getting great sound from it anyway.

Thanks for the heads up, i take i over estimated on the PSU unit. I sort of am not sure about the Primary OS SSD, wasn't sure if that wasn't good enough or if i should be looking at perhaps a smaller one with better performance?

So far two peeps with saying no cache drive needed, so i take the system runs as fast as can be with a SSD already as primary.

The 580 is something i already had in hand from my older build just to clear any confusion.

I've been in and out about the mobo for about 3-4 months now and i just can't find one like it that packs almost similar features for cheaper.

So is it entirely a waste for Win Ultimate? I'm making my purchase on the SSD/HDD and OS today. No benefit to having Ultimate :o 

As for the sound, you may be right, i've done testing on USD $130 Mobo's that sound terrible but never on USD$300 Mobo's haha :pt1cable: 
m
l
August 31, 2012 8:23:48 PM

arzbhatia said:
Spend a little less on the SSD and get a 7970 or a GTX 680 instead :) 

Everything else is fine. And for the Cache SSD, even a 32gb would do.

Any particular SSD you might have in mind?

The GPU is a done deal, i'm taking that off my build to save $$$.

So far your the only one that says a SSD as cache seems to be a ok idea although the main will also be a SSD, interesting.
m
l
August 31, 2012 11:04:23 PM

I'm not even sure if you can get any major performance benefits if you choose to use an SSD to cache your SSD. I know for a fact RAID won't allow you to use TRIM on your SSD, which could heavily degrade performance/reliability in the long run.

The main benefit of a cache SSD would be seen with a mechanical hard drive. SSD's alone can provide insane performance nowadays, so you won't be disappointed.

However, if you already have the GPU, go for it :)  it's not that bad of a card still, and if you already have one, why not save the $$$ and get other components?
m
l
August 31, 2012 11:04:51 PM

Best answer selected by giovanni86.
m
l
!