Sign in with
Your question

Help on CPU and ssd installation

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2013 8:53:48 PM

Hello,

I just recently got a new i5 2500k to replace my i3, I also just got a new ssd. I'm wondering whats the best order to install them? Also do I just pop the old CPU out and put the new one inor do I need to update bios or anything like that? Thanks for the help. Oh and I have a asrock z68 mobo

More about : cpu ssd installation

a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 1:21:43 AM

CPU is a piece of cake. Just swap it and it will work just fine, no drivers or anything. If you are going to reuse the cooler, you'll need to reapply some new thermal paste. Or the new cooler with the 2500K should have some new paste on the bottom.

SSD is a little trickier. You can either image your current drive to the new SSD and replace it. Or you can reinstall windows on the SSD, which is a little bit more clean, but a lot more work.
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:42:57 AM

You should always update your BIOS when upgrading your CPU or RAM. And while you're at it, get the latest version of chipset drivers for the motherboard and all requisite drivers for your system before you begin your install.

Install the CPU first, then install a fresh copy of your favorite OS on the new SSD. Don't open yourself up to the headache of trying to migrate your OS to a new drive.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 2:23:08 AM

twelve25 said:
CPU is a piece of cake. Just swap it and it will work just fine, no drivers or anything. If you are going to reuse the cooler, you'll need to reapply some new thermal paste. Or the new cooler with the 2500K should have some new paste on the bottom.

SSD is a little trickier. You can either image your current drive to the new SSD and replace it. Or you can reinstall windows on the SSD, which is a little bit more clean, but a lot more work.

You got that backwards. The cpu update is harder than the SSD.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 2:24:01 AM

JeauxBleaux said:

Install the CPU first, then install a fresh copy of your favorite OS on the new SSD. Don't open yourself up to the headache of trying to migrate your OS to a new drive.

Its not that hard if you know what your doing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 2:36:31 AM

I've done two SSD installs on two different machines. One was a new install and the other an image. I didn't see any issues imaging other than potentially having to shrink your C: drive down before cloning or finding a utility that will do it for you. If you have a lot of stuff installed and not enough time to rebuild everything (it was my work machine), cloning works fine.

FALC0N said:
You got that backwards. The cpu update is harder than the SSD.

How so? It's Sandy Bridge to Sandy Bridge with no drivers or software involved? BIOS upgrade not needed since 2500K is one of the original SB chips. Hard drive involves some work finding the right uility, shrinking partitions, making sure it comes up as C and not F:, etc.

You seem to like to argue with me lately about nothing! :) 

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 2:49:39 AM

twelve25 said:

How so? It's Sandy Bridge to Sandy Bridge with no drivers or software involved? BIOS upgrade not needed since 2500K is one of the original SB chips. Hard drive involves some work finding the right uility, shrinking partitions, making sure it comes up as C and not F:, etc.

Because your always one mistake away from destroying your computers two most expensive parts. We take if for granted, but lots of things can happen when your pulling, a heatsink and cpu.

And if a guy is on here asking how to do it, then he doesn't have anywhere near our experience.

Hard drive, on the other hand, is harder to screw up. Though it can be more time consuming.

You seem to like to argue with me lately about nothing! :) said:
You seem to like to argue with me lately about nothing! :) 

That's the fun of forums. Spirited discussion! Often about nothing.

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 3:20:30 AM

Hard drive clones are one wrong source vs destination selection away from having two blank drives! :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 6:51:26 AM

twelve25 said:
Hard drive clones are one wrong source vs destination selection away from having two blank drives! :) 

True, but you can back up a drive. And there might not be anything important on it to begin with. If a person can't handle data transfer, you sure don't want them messing around with static sensitive and potentially dangerous electronics.

m
l
January 15, 2013 11:24:03 AM

FALC0N said:
Its not that hard if you know what your doing.

Thank you for that, Falcon. Of course, "Mycatsdied" probably would not have asked the question if they "knew what they were doing".
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 3:06:47 PM

FALC0N said:
True, but you can back up a drive. And there might not be anything important on it to begin with. If a person can't handle data transfer, you sure don't want them messing around with static sensitive and potentially dangerous electronics.

Still going on that one even when I thought I made it obvious I was being sarcastic. Kinda funny at this point. OP asks for installation help and you want to keep trying to figure out which one is more difficult like it actually matters. He intends to do both so the end result is 1=1.
m
l
January 19, 2013 3:34:53 AM

Thanks for the ther help guys... I have installed the CPU and no problems. I also upgraded my GPU to a 660.

The SSD has been the Pain in the ass. It will not take windowss 7 at all. I have tried updating drivers, and firmware(wont run the update off a cd) but the windows install freezes on extracting files. I can get the computer to recognize the SSD so i think my windows disk is to scratched to work.

I have a old/new problem though and the reason that Im upgrading these components to start with

Heres the link to my other poost any help would be appreciated there

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
m
l
!