Mid range gaming system w/possible oc

cohentrooper

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hello forum,
I hope to get some help with my efforts to build a 'good enough' computer, mainly intended for gaming, but also some light image editing and common internet based tasks. Since english is not my first language, I hope you'll excuse any language errors. :)

I've previously built a few systems, though never one for gaming. As my son states his 'need': a computer good enough for Battle field 3 on 1920x1080.

I've put together most of my intended parts at the end of this post. My questions are:

- are my chosen parts good enough for bf3 1920x1080?
- will I have compatability problems between parts?
- do I need a better cpu cooler or more/better fans?
- do I need low profile memory with cpu cooler?
- suggestions for keyboard/mouse?

---

Approximate Purchase Date: Within 30 days

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (BF3, minecraft...); Image editing (raw/nef -tiff, ps cs5); Internet web-browsing/mail/streaming video.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. See below for specs.

Do you need to buy OS: No. Will run win7 professional 64

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Will pick parts from different sources for best price. No real need for suggestions on stores.

Parts Preferences: Asus/intel/corsair/seasonic... Prefer to stick with established and 'safe' parts, even if it impacts price.

Overclocking: Yes, but not from the start, and even then, probably only moderately, since I've read alot about heat related problems with ivy bridge.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, but not right now unless you deem it required

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Parts I've picked are as follows (suggestions for changes are much appreciated!)

Mobo: Asus p8z77-v (I need wlan for connectivity to my photo equipment)

CPU: Intel core i5 3570K box w/fan

Ram: corsair vengeance Pc12800/1600 2x4GB CL9

Case: NZXT source 220 (I really want at least one usb 3 in the front)

Gpu: Sapphire hd 7850 2GB oc gddr5

Ssd: Intel 330 120GB (for os and programs)

Hdd:seagate barracuda st1000dm003, 64MB, 1TB (for storage)

Optical drive: samsung B123L bd/dvd-rw combo

Psu: XFX core edition p1-550s-xxb9 550w (is this enough power?)

Monitor: LG dm2350d (not for the image processing tasks, I use a dedicated monitor for those tasks)

All advice welcome!

/Fred

JonnyN

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Looks very similar to the build I'm creating at the moment.

I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems with compatibility.

My only change would be to the PSU and for a Corsair but only because thats who I trust, plenty pick XFX as a good buy, just be wary of warranty with them depending on where you're from. 550W should be more than enough if its a good clean 550W.

Other than that, enjoy!

JonnyN

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
To address the other questions (sorry got carried away!)

The combo of 3570K and 7850 will play BF3 at the res no problem. All the way up to mid-high settings.

The stock CPU cooler will be fine at stock frequencies but bare in mind you'll need to upgrade to something better if you're planning on taking an OC past 4ghz.

cohentrooper

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Thankyou for your quick reply.
I picked the xfx mainly for it's good rep and seasonic parts. Why is Corsair better? (I'm a novice, sorry if it's obvious to everyone else)
Do you have any suggestion for a Corsair psu?

/Fred

JonnyN

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I wouldn't say the Corsair is necessarily better in any way, they are just who I trust the most because of the reputation and XFX doesn't have a particularly good rep in other areas like GPU's, though they seem to do fine for PSU's. Also in the UK we have problems with XFX not honouring warranties though depending on where you are you might not have the same problems.

If you do want to go Corsair the TX 650 v2 is a cracking one and should leave you with plenty of power for any future upgrades. The CX series is also good and cheaper than the TX but is a more budget aimed PSU. The TX is aimed at the gamer/enthusiast.

cohentrooper

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion as well as the explanation. Much appreciated!

/Fred

cohentrooper

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I was hoping to get some suggestions for keyboard/mouse/monitor... But maybe there isn't much difference for gaming on this kind of system?

Anyway, thanks JonnyN for your replies, I'll look up the CX/TX.

/Fred