Will the 690 be restocked?

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I am on a M-ATX mobo and am considering moving up to the u2711 ultra sharp. Going normal SLI would cover my bottom pci slot up where I have my sounds card. So my only option really is the 690. Are these cards supposed to be restocked? I refuse to pay the gouging prices on ebay to get one.

El Tigre

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
They will be restocked, it's part of the newest generation and Nvidia would be stupid not to produce more chips and such. If you indeed really want to get the GTX 690, I would wait. A GTX 670 4GB/GTX 680 4GB would not be bad alternatives unless you really want the 690.

Actually, the 690 is there to make headlines. Judging by the build quality and price, Nvidia makes a larger profit with the 680s than a single 690. They will not make many 690s for that reason. But they will keep a few on the market to flaunt at AMD

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

Stupidly I did not think of checking the evga website. Looks like they are in stock. I think I might buy the hydro copper http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=04G-P4-2699-KR&family=GeForce%20600%20Series%20Family&sw=
Are these comparable to buying a separate water block?

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

I've never heard this opinion before. I know personally that my music sounds a lot more quality when my speakers are plugged into my sound blaster.

Kari

Splendid

well the said argument holds when your speakers aren't HiFi, but after you invest into a proper speaker set (and not just some plastic boxes that make noise) deidicated souncards are better...
bunch of these for example:
http://www.amphion.fi/en/products/helium-410/

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012

yeah sound cards indeed make a difference. I found that out when I got my new asus maximas rig, its got built in SupremeFX X-Fi 2 sound blaster audio, much better than my previous mobo audio output. good thing about Asus maximus gene matx series, they got built in quality sound cards, so you don't have to worry about getting an extra one on pci express slot.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

I have these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836852001
I am not a audiophile but they sound amazing to me. Just wish I had a center speaker for dialogue. I will be getting the HD 595s though so I'll just use those when I watch movies.

Would any of you be willing to put your opinion to the test? I've been looking for someone to do a blind comparison of integrated vs. discrete for a while, but I haven't found anyone. Get someone else to switch between integrated and discrete sound without telling you which is enabled and see if you can tell the difference reliably. If anyone can really do this, my opinion will switch immediately, but right now I think it's all a placebo.
I do have decent speakers, by the way (M-Audio MX5a's). I'd test if I had a decent sound card. If anyone's in NY and wants to lend me a card, I'll be happy to do the testing myself :p

shamsmu

Honorable
May 30, 2012
my asus maximas mobo has a built in SupremeFX X-Fi 2 sound card and I have another computer with asus p7p55-lx motherboard which has generic 7.1 channel onboard sound. My speakers are bit old and not too fancy logitech x530 5.1 channel. Now I had myself and a mate of mine while comparing the audio quality of these boards. To be honest, the supreme fx made little to no difference while gaming/ playing random video clips. However, while playing music, it was noticeably better- much better bass and much clearer audio quality on the maximas rig. I guess the bass can be adjusted manually but the clearer audio quality is definitely a plus of the supreme fx. We tried different techno musics and rnbs and in every case, the discrete sound card did better. The audio was more lifelike and the difference was definitely noticeable.

It really has to be tried blind, though. Can you get your mate to come over and test you?
I hadn't thought of EQ. That could really be an issue in comparisons. Still, "clearer quality" sounds like something that'd stay pretty constant through any adjustments you make.
Did you try any classical music? Not to be a snob, but that's the part of sound quality that I care the most about.