New Build For a Friend

giemer

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I recently built a new comp, so I have a spare just sitting around holding data.

A friend is interested in getting it, but I don't think its worthy for his use, since its essentially a very dated behemoth (very loud, big case - E6600 - HD4850 - 1000W PSU) and suggested that I just put together a spec and see if hes interested. Plus, most of my old computers get earmarked for parental usage ...

Since I have no idea if/when he'd like to purchase, the specific pricing, in terms of deal searching, isn't prudent. I believe it'd be general every-day type stuff, with a tilt towards gaming. And he's on his own with peripherals, regardless.

I'd like to know if this is reasonable: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g9kz

I'd throw in the HD4850 I already have... it wasn't selectable in the build.

I tried to go with something modern, and that I suspect would last him a long while (either from negligence, or updatability).

Details:

I started with the $500 build from the recent marathon; same case/PSU.
The H77 MB was chosen to open the doors for Ivy, PCIe 3.0, if he wanted to upgrade, and it was cheap (didn't look like it was even on sale).
The SSD is there because I've come to declare it a necessity in any new builds, at least for the OS...