Motherboard & CPU Confusion

Ajanth

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Hello, I've chosen parts for my first build with a budget of $850, after reading some reviews about my motherboard(Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP), I've gotten a bit paranoid because most of the reviews say that the board is thinner than other boards and TOO flexible. This has made me a scared because as a 15 year old who is going to build his first computer, there is a good chance that I might snap the board in half. So, should i just get the 3570k and a z77 board or should I just stick with my 3450 and asrock board? All advice and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/g9uW

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You should be fine either way. Mount the board to your case first, make sure to use the proper number of standoffs that create space between the case and the back of the motherboard. These screws/standoffs will fix the motherboard in location while you install other components, so the board is supported by the case.

Also, don't force anything.

If you use all the standoffs and mount it properly, it's not going to bend.

Some boards hang over on the right side, and you may need to support the board with one hand while you press in the dimms.

An easier way is to install the dimms before installing the motherboard. Put the anti-static bag on a hard surface like a counter top and lay the board on it. Then install the dimms that way, the board can't bend.

I worked a long time in pc i never seen someone snap a mb in half yet. I seen more cpu that in shipping have ripped themself off a mb and had the heatsink/cpu turn into a wreaking ball inside of cases. mb flexing the only time that would be an issue is if someone was using the mb as a test bed. pulling cards in and out to test them or work with new cards. most new pc that people build other then adding ram or replacing the video card you dont move them or touch them. they end up next to or inside a pc stand till something fails or there replaced. what i would look for in a mb is read up and see what brand of mb having the less issue in qa. there are some brands and some mb vendors that have bad luck or bad qa. also look at the ports and features of the mb. some of the newer asus mb have built in wifi (save you a slot) and usb flash back...if you bios goes south you can with a usb stick flash it back..no cpu needed. there brands like msi that say they use military parts on there mb. one thing to watch out for on some z77 mb is some of them dont do sli. to keep the mb in a price range these mb have one pci slot at 16x and the other at 4x. most good mb will have the slots at 8x 8x. on the cpu if your not going to over clock your better off buying the locked cpu and using the extra money for a better gpu.