Sign in with
Your question

H100i performing same as Hyper 212+

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2013 10:55:42 PM

Hello their!
I'm just wondering if someone could shed some light on my issue, this water-cooling system isn't performing as good as I thought, the CPU temperatures that I'm getting are roughly from 25-28 degrees Celsius whilst writing this forum. I've re-seated the water-cooling block on the CPU at least 4-5 times with all different techniques of putting thermal paste on the CPU itself - I'm also using Noctua's thermal paste as well!
I saw washers we're included with my product, and I'm just wondering how I can utilize these to make a better contact from the water-cooling block itself and the CPU?

Oh also! I'm getting 5 degrees worse temperatures when under load in stock settings, 60~degrees Celsius, I overclocked to 4.5 with 1.250 volts and bam, 90 degrees+.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
January 14, 2013 10:57:17 PM

What kind of cpu are you running?
m
l
January 14, 2013 11:09:25 PM

Sorry! I forgot to mention the important system specs!

i7 3770k
Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe
1250 Seasonic PSU
NZXT Phantom Case

Thanks for you're reply :) 

System is now hitting 30 odd degrees Celsius in idle..
m
l
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 1:19:52 AM

Did you RTFM?

m
l
January 15, 2013 1:25:05 AM

Most definitely, read it word by word, I even watched installation videos on YouTube. I'll go through it all again now and reseat everything.

Thanks for you're reply
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 1:26:00 AM

Which way are the fans blowing?

Right now either it's a pump problem, or a thermal paste mounting error.
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:58:21 AM

The pumps are blowing out, I have a side 200mm fan blowing air directly to the radiator itself and a 120mm fan not even a few cm away from the radiator that as well is blowing air towards the radiator, could this be the problem? I'll start changing my fan configuration now and redo everything, I'll set the radiator as intake, make the top two 20cm fans as intake, set side fans and back fan as exhaust.

Could having the current configuration that I have now really have such a bad effect on my temperatures even though I have 4 fans blowing as intake??

I'll let you know how temperatures go :) 

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 2:04:15 AM

Welcome to the cold hard realization that big fancy closed loop systems don't really perform all that much better than good air coolers
m
l
January 15, 2013 2:15:16 AM

cmi86 said:
Welcome to the cold hard realization that big fancy closed loop systems don't really perform all that much better than good air coolers

Haha yeah I guess so, but I had to go for water cooling in order to keep my side fan, of which I didn't want to go to waste. I just hope that the h100i can at least drop my idle temperatures to around 24 degrees idle..
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 2:38:46 AM

That would be custom watercooling.

You want the fans to be blowing upwards!

Look at the load temps, not the idle ones.

Fan ^
Rad^
Fan^
m
l
January 15, 2013 3:06:37 AM

cmi86 said:

Funny mine works a whole hell a lot better then my expansive air cooler which still cost around 100.

Idle temps are also not something to go by. You might not notice a huge temp drop there load temps are were you should see the difference.

I went from a cm v10 to a h100 while my idle temps did drop a bit (nothing astounding), but I can do so much more there was no way I was oc to 4ghz on my v10 on my 920 temps shot up to past 90c within a minute of prime 95 on my h100 they stay around 60-65@load.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 3:50:31 AM

kingnoobe said:
Funny mine works a whole hell a lot better then my expansive air cooler which still cost around 100.

Idle temps are also not something to go by. You might not notice a huge temp drop there load temps are were you should see the difference.

I went from a cm v10 to a h100 while my idle temps did drop a bit (nothing astounding), but I can do so much more there was no way I was oc to 4ghz on my v10 on my 920 temps shot up to past 90c within a minute of prime 95 on my h100 they stay around 60-65@load.

Because the V10 is crap? :whistle: 
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 4:01:31 AM

cmi86 said:

My thoughts exactly you couldn't have said it any better. As I have said time after time here on the forums closed loop water coolers are a waste of money and don't perform any better than a good air cooler. If you really want water cooling do a custom water loop if not just get a good air cooler becuase water kits are a waste.
m
l
January 15, 2013 4:56:38 AM

amuffin said:
That would be custom watercooling.

You want the fans to be blowing upwards!

Look at the load temps, not the idle ones.

Fan ^
Rad^
Fan^

Just trying to make sure I'm understanding you, don't want to get anything wrong haha, but you mean not to set the fans as intake? But rather leave it to blow air out of the case instead of in - meaning blowing air upwards?

I've re set the water block a hundred times over, all different thermal paste techniques, but no change, what so ever! Maybe 1 or 2 degree changes! I kind of have my mind set on the fact that the backplate may be loose and putting in a washer may cure this and give better contact to the CPU itself, the problem I'm getting now is that I can't fit the washer that came with the H100i onto the backplate to have it sitting between then backplate itself and the motherboard..

I'll know if this washer technique doesn't work, then it's the shifty coolers fault but I've read on this forum and Corsair forums that having that washer put in dropped temperatures from 90 to 60 degrees Celsius..

Appreciate all the replies very much!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 5:00:34 AM

I will be brutally honest here and tell you that Closed loop units are very overrated, standard HSF coolers for less deliver better or equal results at lower cost, that said they are nice and have benefits.

Thermaltake Water coolers right now are the way to go, look for high cost Noctua fans in Push/Pull and you will get good results.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 5:14:30 AM

kingnoobe said:

Simply for the sake of kicks i'll deviate slightly from the OP to tell you that my Hyper 212+ Push/Pull keeps my 960T 4.25Ghz (yes that's a 1.25Ghz OC) idling at slightly over ambient and max temps are around 55-60 depending on room temp... Like i said closed loops are not all their cracked up to be.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 5:16:02 AM

ddavij said:
Just trying to make sure I'm understanding you, don't want to get anything wrong haha, but you mean not to set the fans as intake? But rather leave it to blow air out of the case instead of in - meaning blowing air upwards?

I've re set the water block a hundred times over, all different thermal paste techniques, but no change, what so ever! Maybe 1 or 2 degree changes! I kind of have my mind set on the fact that the backplate may be loose and putting in a washer may cure this and give better contact to the CPU itself, the problem I'm getting now is that I can't fit the washer that came with the H100i onto the backplate to have it sitting between then backplate itself and the motherboard..

I'll know if this washer technique doesn't work, then it's the shifty coolers fault but I've read on this forum and Corsair forums that having that washer put in dropped temperatures from 90 to 60 degrees Celsius..

Appreciate all the replies very much!

Yes, that is called push pull.

You have fans pushing cool air through the radiator and fans pulling the now heated air out.

Remember, SCIENCE! (hot air rises)
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:28:17 AM

amuffin said:
Yes, that is called push pull.

You have fans pushing cool air through the radiator and fans pulling the now heated air out.

Remember, SCIENCE! (hot air rises)

Alright ill do exactly that! Thank you for the explanation!
I'll now try placing washers and see if it yields different results!
I highly doubt that this water cooler is supposedly on par with air coolers, even the Noctua coolers, when viewing reviews, from any website, I should be able to get 55 degrees with a 4.6ghz Overclock.. This is why I'm kinda pissed at my PC knowing that I'm doing something wrong lol..

I'm missing something, seeing that I'm getting equal temperatures no matter the heat sink, it must be that it's not sitting right on my cpu?

Thank you for all you're replies again :) 
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:31:27 AM

cmi86 said:

+1 to what you just said. Purchased a H70 when it came out to replace my hyper 212 and guess what, 0-1 degress in temp difference. definately not worth the $80 i spent at the time it was released. closed loops perform just like air coolers. hyper 212 all the way! cheap and same performance.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 6:08:44 AM

There are many factors such as case cooling, ambient temps, etc.
m
l
January 15, 2013 6:14:54 AM

Oh I am an idiot. I just realised the back plate has a curved cut to allow the screws to go through, before I didn't have it sat correctly, gonna fix this up and see how it all goes!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 7:07:45 AM

You will get the same results with any cooler you attempt to put on that IVY. Messing with the Volts in any Way on IVY causes temps to spiral out of control and no air cooler/ closed loop system can control it.

With that being said those saying there is no difference between an H100 and a Hyper 212 are completely delusional. My H80 blows my old 212 out of the water by a good 16 c Margin. You're doing it wrong.
m
l
January 15, 2013 7:44:11 AM

bigj1985 said:
You will get the same results with any cooler you attempt to put on that IVY. Messing with the Volts in any Way on IVY causes temps to spiral out of control and no air cooler/ closed loop system can control it.

With that being said those saying there is no difference between an H100 and a Hyper 212 are completely delusional. My H80 blows my old 212 out of the water by a good 16 c Margin. You're doing it wrong.

You are most defiantly right! I read you're post, took out the H100i yet again, looked at which way the fans were actually pushing the air, and my god, shoot me - I realised that it was actually pulling air and pushing it IN the case, NOT out, so my radiator fans were pushing in, tops fans were pushing out as an exhaust...

Three problems:
1. I'm the biggest dickhe*d
2. Fan was pushing the wrong way, counteracting top fans
3. Bracket not installed correctly, maybe 80% contact, I noticed that 1-2 cores were always 5-7 degrees higher then another...

Upon reviewing reviews, without having the fans attached to the h100i CPU temps reach dangerously high levels, so this gives me proof that the fans being incorrectly installed fucked me up hard and it's sad how I didn't realise!

For the third time today, time to assemble everything again! Yay................... :fou: 
m
l
January 15, 2013 10:33:34 AM

Hah! SICK! Fixed everything up, overclocked to 4.5 GHZ, AND BAM, 67~ degrees across all cores with the fans set on quiet! SICK!

Thanks everyone for all you're help, appreciate it so very much!

Time to over-clock my 7970's.... Oh yeah...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 1:50:27 AM

2743579,24,929117 said:
Hah! SICK! Fixed everything up, overclocked to 4.5 GHZ, AND BAM, 67~ degrees across all cores with the fans set on quiet! SICK!

Thanks everyone for all you're help, appreciate it so very much!

Time to over-clock my 7970's.... Oh yeah...[/quW

Wow bro glad to hear:)  Believe me thew 212 is an awesome little cooler. And closed loop systems are not gonna give you the same results as a full on $200+ water loop. Buit I have owned and still do own a D14 and 212. The H80 straighty demolishes my 212 and is definately a few degrees cooler than my d14(which I now have on my P2 965...

Problem with H80 is the noise on stock fans. I replaced them with some cougars and it is just about as silent as my Noctura. Sometimes the little closed loops dn't get enough credit. Everyone thinks back to the H50 days and assumes temps wont be much better than a cheap air cooler. From personal experience I can say that is incorrect especially under load
m
l
!