[Solved] Empty Drives Showing up as Audio CD

tryagainplease

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
I have the same problem as the OP. For some reason I can't find the [Solved] answer (page is missing). I tracked this issue across several forums and nobody seems to have published an answer. The OP posted pictures of the issue and mine is same issue. BD-RE drive shows up in Explorer as "Audio CD". Click on the drive and there are phantom CDA files dated 1994 and 1kb each. Cannot be deleted. I am running WIN 7 x64 on a rather new build Gigabyte x79 mobo (but many others have reported same problem on other brand mobo's). This originally came to my attention because I installed iTunes and iTunes picked up the Blu Ray drive and put it under "devices" and tried to import the cda's (it hung).

The drive is a Pioneer Blu Ray BDR206D. It has no cd loaded into it, yet the CDA files show up in explorer, about 24 of them.

Thanks for your help. RWS

tryagainplease

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
I have finally solved it. As in the OP's remarks, the problem is the Intel RST e driver. Since the OPs motherboard was ASUS and mine was Gigabyte, I assumed my problem was different, but it was the same because they both use the Intel RST driver.

I simply went to the Giga x79-UD3 download page and (after reading dozens of web forum articles by others with same problem) downloaded the later version of the iRSTe: It is this one: Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise ( Intel RSTe ): 3.1.0.1068 18.13 MB 2012/08/07.

Now my Pioneer Blu Ray drive appears under My Computer as simply: BD-RE Drive:

Here's the download page for Gigabyte x79-UD3 if anyone needs it: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4050#dl