AMD FX-6100 vs AMD FX-8350?

Scott82

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello,

Hi I just upgraded my system a few months ago to a FX-6100 from a very old Phenom II, along with 8 gigs of ram and a ATI 6850 vid card, and new AM3 motherobard as well.

I must say i am not impressed with how my software and games are running. I am a 3D Game Artist by trade so i use alot of Zbrush and 3DS Max. Im working with multiple programs open and a few million polygons on screen at once. Everything runs `extremely` slow and I was thinking it had to be my processor.

Can anyone shed some light on this, and how i might benefit from upgrading to a FX 8350. Thanks!

As an example, this is one of the current models ive been having trouble with. As you can see its 9 million polygons. It takes nearly 1 minute to undo something, and other functions just as long. 3DS Max is even slower. How much does processor power factor in to these types of programs?

70851.jpg

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
It might benefit you a bit to upgrade, but not much. I'd try overclocking your 6100 a bit. Also, a graphics card upgrade is due, 3DsMax would probably benefit more from that than a processor upgrade, if you want to go hardcore get a Firepro or Quadro card, but if you are still gaming maybe a 6950/6950 or a 7870. My GTX 670 and i5 3570k was pretty effective at rendering, yet AMD seems to have a better architecture for rendering (processor-wise) So I'd say your GPU may be the culprit.

Well, the 6100 had no advantage over the phenom II. You'd have seen no improvement. I can't imagine why you'd have done that with piledriver about to release that was a huge mistake.

8350 will be better but you need to see what your software maker suggests, benchmarks for it, and gpu support

Scott82

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, honestly it was a spur of the moment thing. My processor died on me one day and i had a deadline due for a client. I dont keep up to date on hardware as much as i do software so i made the mistake of getting whatever was available.

I guess for now i will keep what i have, when is AMD's new chipset going to be released? Any idea?

For desktop processors the next models aren't going to be out until probably 2014.

I agree with the above mostly:

1. You have a half decent gaming rig. For demanding games, tweak while running FRAPS and aim for high frame rates rather than maxing the quality. (that's the BIGGEST mistake most people make, they simply put everything on HIGH and then get stuttering).

2. For your SOFTWARE, as mentioned see their support site. Most software of this type is still largely CPU dependent or require an expensive graphics card. So investigate the effect of the following:
a) CPU
b) Graphics Card (which, if any?)
c) RAM (more than 8GB?)

If you are very disappointed then overclocking your CPU isn't going to do much. If you're completely CPU hamstrung then a 25% overclock is going to only improve your times by a maximum of that amount.

In some cases increasing the RAM can have huge benefits but again CHECK YOUR SOFTWARE SUPPORT SITE.

4. RAM NOTES:
The AMOUNT of RAM you can install depends on:
a) your version of WINDOWS (i.e. 16GB, 32GB for Pro, more for Ultimate ?)
b) Motherboard

Of course, only 64-bit Windows can support more than 4GB of memory (not just System RAM) but you likely have 64-bit.

diablo34life

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

hey scotty, sorry to tell you this but you really should of waited to buy the fx 6300, the 6100 is pretty bad of a chip. but you probably didnt know about them. pildriver is a good step up from bulldozer for gaming and editing. sell ur parts my friend and start over. you should always get the latest motherboard socket which is AM3+. fx6300 or 8350 are awsome cpus i have a fx 8350 myself. now ur graphics card isnt the best. esoecially for workshop editing, u have a gaming gpu. there are other gpus for editing i belive the firepro series or something like that. those help out with video editing but are crap for gaming.

Scott82

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks for replys.

Here is my CPU in action. Do you guys think upgrading from a FX 6100 to a FX 8350 would be benefical for my needs? I realise there are other things contributin to this as well, im just trying to figure how much of this is CPU related.

bioblow_city1.jpg

The FX 8350 will probably be around 20-25% faster in general computing and uses less power under load than the 6100. Factor in other improvements notably to IMC you will see a notable improvement in performance. Something was awfully amiss with the FX6100 non so exhibited with the FX 6300

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Here's my list of suggestions in decreasing order of importance,

1. MORE RAM!!! Being dirt cheap as RAM is these days, try to stuff in as much as possible. If you have 4 slots on your motherboard, then please do drop in 4x4GB=16GBs of RAM. Rendering requires a huge amount of data to be stored and processed, and if you don't have enough RAM it will repeatedly try to swap data to and from the HDD which will cause a very painful slowdown.
And I really hope your running a 64bit version of windows :)

2. Get a better graphic card.

3. OC ur current chip, or sell it off and grab the FX 8350.

j1888

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hi, I want to share my experience with the fx-6100. It did not meet my expectations (with 8gb RAM), so I switched to an i5-3570k and it seems much faster.

It should be faster you are paying more for the I5. The 6100 120 dollars the I5 220 dollars, you get what you pay for.

The Indomitable

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Yes, except Intel sockets are highly confusing...
It seems your problem is not the CPU, but the amount of RAM and the GPU. Editing videos and such can take lots of RAM. Also, you might want to upgrade to a workstation GPU more suited for 3D rendering.

j1888

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Yes, that is correct, sir. And intel motherboards usually cost more than AMD motherboards. But I still switched to the intel i5 and got the ASRock z77 extreme4 motherboard and I am very happy with it compared to the AMD fx-6100.

j1888

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

I would like to ease some of the confusion regarding intel sockets, as you said it is confusing. If you get an i5 processor, then you simply need any motherboard that has a "LGA 1155" socket. I don't see how that is confusing.

No it isn't Intel sockets and chipsets are pretty straight forward. Both Sandy Bridges and Ivy Bridges desktop CPU's use socket 1155. If you get any IB/SB Celeron, Pentium G, I3, I5 or I7 all you have to do is get an 1155 motherboard. It doesn't get much easier than that. Chipsets are pretty straight forward too:

BXX- For business computers
HXX- Good for home everyday use
ZXX- Good for "power users." Has the most features and allows for high overclocking

Again I don't see anything confusing about that at all.

hello987

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I upgraded from 6100 to an 8350 and have noticed a lot faster performance. much faster, my video editing loads movies into the timeline much faster. The pass mark benchmark gives the 8350 a 9100 vs the 5500 or so for the 6100, my machine runs smooth as butter. there is a you tube tech channel called teksyndicate where he even tested the 8350 vs an i7 while gaming and streaming with xsplit and the 8350 beat it handily, and even without streaming It beat an i7 in the game called Trine. Surely the i7 wins many benchmarks as well but after all his testing and taking into consideration price and power consumption he recommended the 8350 over an i5.

TRENDING THREADS