change registry startup view?

What is the reghack used to prevent the Registry Editor from opening at the
last view?

I'd like to have regedit open at the root each time it starts, not the last
key viewed....

TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about change registry startup view

    Bypasses Regedit's "memory" of the last key visited
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/regopen.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "johnm" wrote:

    | What is the reghack used to prevent the Registry Editor from opening at the
    | last view?
    |
    | I'd like to have regedit open at the root each time it starts, not the last
    | key viewed....
    |
    | TIA

    Several options:

    Registry - Clear Last State (Line 47)

    More information here:

    Registry - Last State
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm#xp_registry

    How to Prevent Regedit.exe from Using the Last State (Q244004)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q244004

    After you start Regedit, press and hold down SHIFT+LEFT ARROW to collapse
    all the entries back to the My Computer entry.

    Start/Run/Regedit
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit.
    In the right pane, for the value LastKey.

    Double-click it and clear the string. Then right-click the Regedit key (in
    the lefthand pane) and select Permissions. Set Permissions to Deny for
    any/all users/groups.

    The vbs script below will delete the last applet subkey and create a Regedit
    favorite "Last Exit Key" with the subkey data, so that you can choose the
    last key visited as a Regedit favorite if you wish (the best of both
    worlds). Then it runs Regedit, which will open collapsed. Should work on
    both WinMe and WinXP, and is harmless on other versions.

    Simply cut and paste to a new VBS file, create a shortcut to the VBS file,
    reselect the Regedit icon, and run Regedit from here.

    Option Explicit

    Dim oShell, vData, vPath

    Set oSHELL= WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    vData= ""
    vPath= "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit\"

    On Error Resume Next
    Do
    vData= oSHELL.RegRead(vPath & "LastKey"): If Err Then Exit Do
    If vData<>"My Computer" Then
    oSHELL.RegWrite vPath & "Favorites\Last Exit Key", vData, "REG_SZ"
    If Err Then Exit Do
    oSHELL.RegDelete vPath & "LastKey"
    End If
    Loop Until True
    Err.Clear: On Error GoTo 0

    oSHELL.Run "regedit.exe", 1, False

    WScript.Quit

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message
    > What is the reghack used to prevent the Registry Editor from opening at
    > the last view?
    >
    > I'd like to have regedit open at the root each time it starts, not the
    > last key viewed....
    >
    > TIA

    thank you...!
    just what I was looking for.

    "johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message
    > What is the reghack used to prevent the Registry Editor from opening at
    > the last view?
    >
    > I'd like to have regedit open at the root each time it starts, not the
    > last key viewed....
    >
    > TIA

Configuration Registry Customization Microsoft Windows XP