Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Catalyst Control Center Won't Open

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2012 10:08:39 AM

Hello Guys.

After installing version 12.6 I have recently run into a problem where AMD Catalyst Control Center won't open and I am unsure of what to do next

I have done some internet searching and have tried the following, all of which did not work...

1) Uninstalling Catalyst Control Center completely, and reinstalled

2) Browse to: "C:\Windows\assembly". Sort by "Public Key Token" and delete everything with the Token "90ba9c70f846762e" (ATI's key) There was nothing in there with that key.

3) (start>run>regedit), find the next folder: KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/.NETFRAMEWORK, create a string value "OnlyUseLatestCLR" and set the value to 1, only 1.

4) changed the permissions to FULL for my account.

If anyone else has a solution, that would be great.

Thanks in advanced
Rob
July 13, 2012 10:20:46 AM

Try the 12.7 beta drivers?
July 13, 2012 10:22:04 AM

hey that is airritating problem
to get rid of it youll have to reinstall windows 7
it worked for me :lol: 
Related resources
July 13, 2012 10:38:58 AM

Hello joedjnpc, I just tried installing the 12.7 drivers and Catalyst Control Center still does not open
July 13, 2012 11:26:35 AM

Use driver Sweeper to do a clean uninstall and install the latest one or the beta one. If it does not work, then reinstalling Windows would be the next best thing.
July 13, 2012 11:27:26 AM

El Tigre said:
Use driver Sweeper to do a clean uninstall and install the latest one or the beta one. If it does not work, then reinstalling Windows would be the next best thing.

i have seen that driver sweeper doesnt work
best to reinstall windows
July 13, 2012 11:35:34 AM

Okay thank you all for your help, I will give Driver Sweeper a go first
July 13, 2012 12:40:15 PM

I won't be able to do that until later after work, does anyone else have any suggestions in the meantime?

regards
July 13, 2012 12:45:35 PM

Hi again,

It just occured to me that it could be the process by which you are installing the drivers. I had some issues in the past and AMD customer support gave me these steps to avoid any installation issues.

1. Use AMD uninstall utility, remove all
2. Restart computer in safe mode, run driver sweep or equivalent ( I use two different sweepers in case)
3. Restart computer with internet plugged out
4. Disable any anti Virus or firewall
5. Run drivers
6. Restart again

It's a bit of a pain, but it solved my problems a few months ago when I moved from my 5870 to my 7970.
July 13, 2012 12:46:42 PM

There's a driver clean up program specificaly for ATi cards by the way, I can't link it (i'm in work). But to be safe I would use more than one driver sweeping program.
July 13, 2012 1:25:54 PM

joedjnpc said:
Hi again,

It just occured to me that it could be the process by which you are installing the drivers. I had some issues in the past and AMD customer support gave me these steps to avoid any installation issues.

1. Use AMD uninstall utility, remove all
2. Restart computer in safe mode, run driver sweep or equivalent ( I use two different sweepers in case)
3. Restart computer with internet plugged out
4. Disable any anti Virus or firewall
5. Run drivers
6. Restart again

It's a bit of a pain, but it solved my problems a few months ago when I moved from my 5870 to my 7970.

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I get off work in half an hour, so I will give that a try and i will report back.

A quick thing about Driver Sweeper, on other forums a lot of people are saying it causes more problems than it fixes, but then a lot of other people swear by it, I was just wondering what the deal with that was?

thanks very much
July 14, 2012 5:24:22 PM

After battling this, Your suggestion finally worked. thanks very much

Rob
July 17, 2012 8:55:28 AM

zrobbb said:
After battling this, Your suggestion finally worked. thanks very much

Rob

Glad you got it fixed, might have been an issue with your anti virus, I do this process with every driver I install now to avoid issues!

On the topic of sweeper causing problems I haven't had any issues, it's fixed many problems for me, just make sure you don't delete registry entries you need and you'll be fine.
September 9, 2012 4:19:53 AM

I know the problem is solved, but I'll add something else I just learned the hard way. The above steps in regards to uninstalling the drivers / driver sweeper / removing policies / etc are all good to do. In addition I also read some posts about insuring (for Win 7) that in the 'Windows Features' in the Control Panel -> Programs to ensure the Microsoft .Net Framework was checked on. But I even had another issue beyond that, described below.

After I had wiped all the drivers and install folders I decided to move the initial download 'AMD' setup folder on to a larger capacity drive (not the C drive). I then installed to that same large capacity drive (the 'ATI Technologies' folder). Could not get CCC to open, the paths were not recognized nor did they exist. After a number of iterations on the above I ultimately found out that BOTH the 'AMD' and 'ATI Technologies' folder need to be on the C drive and in their default locations. I attempted with one or both on a drive other than C and they did not work. As soon as I moved both to the C drive on a clean install there was CCC and I was able to open it :fou: 

I've been using CCC for 3-4 years now and it still amazes me that you cannot simply upgrade your drivers by reinstalling them - instead you have to completely remove the drivers / CCC and any reference install folders and do a completely clean install. I've done this with many versions before and it astounds me I still have to do it on this latest 12-8 version as well. And that log file? Worthless. It will say there were warnings but then not show you the details. If I didn't need CCC for a multi-monitor setup it would have gotten the finger a long time ago..... :) 
September 9, 2012 4:36:22 AM

zrobbb said:
Hello Guys.

After installing version 12.6 I have recently run into a problem where AMD Catalyst Control Center won't open and I am unsure of what to do next

I have done some internet searching and have tried the following, all of which did not work...

1) Uninstalling Catalyst Control Center completely, and reinstalled

2) Browse to: "C:\Windows\assembly". Sort by "Public Key Token" and delete everything with the Token "90ba9c70f846762e" (ATI's key) There was nothing in there with that key.

3) (start>run>regedit), find the next folder: KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/.NETFRAMEWORK, create a string value "OnlyUseLatestCLR" and set the value to 1, only 1.

4) changed the permissions to FULL for my account.

If anyone else has a solution, that would be great.

Thanks in advanced
Rob

You probably should not have changed the registry...
but...
the solution is something goofy in the user profiles, apparently
Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
When this is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the
a b À AMD
September 9, 2012 12:29:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!