Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
January 28, 2013 8:50:47 PM

Hello,
Will upgrading to windows 8 better my performance on my old computer with vista? Also will it remove my files when if I upgrade.

More about : windows

a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 9:00:31 PM

To an extent, yes. Windows 7 was an optimized and improved version of Vista and Windows 8 is further optimized under the hood. It might not make as big a difference as upgrading your RAM or other system specs but it should help.

Doing an upgrade install from Vista you can keep files and settings but not programs. To do this you run the installer from within Vista. If you do decide to go for it, do it before Friday, since the special low promotional pricing on the upgrade ends as of 2/1/13.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 9:58:51 PM

Hi :) 

It MIGHT slow it down if you have low ram ?

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 10:06:48 PM

Brett928S2 said:

It MIGHT slow it down if you have low ram ?

No, 7/8 are better optimized for low spec systems than Vista. They're built on the same core as Vista, but 7 is known as "Vista done right." There are no benchmarks I've seen in which 7 is slower than Vista, and none in which 8 is slower than 7 in turn. There are benches that show improvements. I'm just not sure the improvement would be as big as in upgrading the RAM.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 10:09:15 PM

SchizTech said:
No, 7/8 are better optimized for low spec systems than Vista. They're built on the same core as Vista, but 7 is known as "Vista done right." There are no benchmarks I've seen in which 7 is slower than Vista, and none in which 8 is slower than 7 in turn. There are benches that show improvements. I'm just not sure the improvement would be as big as in upgrading the RAM.

Forget benchmarks... i have done this in my shops.... 2 gbs of ram or less..8 almost comes to a dead stop.... 3gb isn't much better... 4 gb is around the same speed...

a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 10:15:03 PM

That doesn't jive with what I've seen. My anecdotal evidence is the opposite as yours: I know people happy to have upgraded NETBOOKS to 8.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 10:20:59 PM

SchizTech said:
That doesn't jive with what I've seen. My anecdotal evidence is the opposite as yours: I know people happy to have upgraded NETBOOKS to 8.

Brett is wrong your right his performance will increase with 8, no ifs about it. But you might have issue with drivers for hardware if win 8 don't recognize your hardware. Like SATA bus, chipset.
Windows 8 is very advanced over 7 or previous OS.
a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 10:26:40 PM

I so love it here.... anecdotal evidence lollll

Customers come into my shops several times a week , complaining they have upgraded to 8 and their machines (both lappies and pcs) have slowed down....

We sell them some ram and once they have seen the improvement , they go away happy...

We have sold a LOT more ram since 8 came out... and that's NOT anecdotal...

a b * Windows 8
January 28, 2013 10:28:33 PM

Oops forgot to add...

This applies to XP, Vista and 7

January 28, 2013 10:42:51 PM

SchizTech said:

Whats with you guys "anecdotal" is only mousemonkey's catch phrase only

'
Anonymous
January 28, 2013 10:51:02 PM

Better off with Win 7, 8 is horrible. No one I know likes it or wants it having used it.
January 29, 2013 9:16:29 AM

Better off with 8, everyone I know dropped 7 for 8
January 29, 2013 9:23:45 AM

soldier, what are your complaints about windows 8. is it metro? lack of a start bar? doesnt boot straight to desktop? all those problems are easily fixed by installing one program.
!