WoW Cartographe

Hi all,

Just wanted to mention this very handy standalone program for WoW :
http://tixu.scribe.free.fr/indexen.php
Obviously, it's very French-centric, but there is an English version
available on the above link.

Imagine a *complete* map of both continents, with indication of flight
routes, mobs, resources, all searchable...

CYA

Skorodom, Troll L40 mage on Dragonblight
26 answers Last reply
More about cartographe

    forget it, I'm not running 'standalone' programs. The much safer
    'addons' are good enough

    Thanks for being the guinea pig. Glad to hear you've enjoyed it
    without problem. It really does look interesting.

    The problem with your logic is that you assume virus only come from
    'email attachments' or from running 'freeware'.
    For all you know, you very probably have some virus/worm/spyware
    running in the background.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not 'paranoid', it's just that I don't see the
    need to run third party applications in pages that 'look legit', when
    WoW has a safe mechanism (addons) and there are many already developed
    that work as well or better.
    But hey, to each his own is what I always say.

    If you uninstall your program and re-install it, you can select English
    and English. make sure you do it 2 times on the same popup window that
    asks you to choose. Then everything is in English.

    I scanned both EXEs and they are clean.

    "wolfing" wrote:

    > forget it, I'm not running 'standalone' programs. The
    > much safer 'addons' are good enough

    While it is generally good advice to be cautious about running unknown
    executables on your system, there's also such a thing as being too paranoid.

    I myself don't have anti-virus software on my system because, frankly, I
    don't need it. I don't open attachments emailed me from unknown persons, I
    don't run a bunch of freeware... basically, I don't go courting trouble. In
    fifteen years of cruising the internet, I have yet to be hit by a virus.

    And yet, I downloaded and ran this program. I checked out the site and it
    looked legit enough to me. I tried it out, and it looks great. My only
    objection is that even the "English" version has all its menu options in
    French, so I had to guess a lot about how to make it work. It's nice to see
    all the flight plans and such.

    I'll let y'all know if my computer melts or all my credit card info is
    stolen or my characters stripped of their equipment. For now, though, I'm
    playing around with this program and like what I see.

    If only I could read French...

    -Richard

    "wolfing" wrote:

    > The problem with your logic is that you assume virus
    > only come from 'email attachments' or from running
    > 'freeware'.

    Oh? Pray tell, how else could I get a virus on my system?

    >I'll let y'all know if my computer melts or all my credit card info is
    >stolen or my characters stripped of their equipment. For now, though, I'm
    >playing around with this program and like what I see.

    The problem with your logic is that if your computer melts, you will
    not be able to get onto this NG and let us know.

    Bronzebeard PVE:
    Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
    Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

    Frostmane PVP:
    Laban - 56 Troll Rogue
    Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

    "Lehi" wrote:

    >>I'll let y'all know if my computer melts or all my
    >>credit card info is stolen or my characters stripped
    >>of their equipment. For now, though, I'm playing
    >>around with this program and like what I see.
    >
    > The problem with your logic is that if your computer
    > melts, you will not be able to get onto this NG and
    > let us know.

    The problem with *your* logic is that you assume I have only one computer.
    =)

    -Richard

    "Brian" wrote:
    >>"wolfing" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The problem with your logic is that you assume virus
    >>> only come from 'email attachments' or from running
    >>> 'freeware'.
    >>
    >>Oh? Pray tell, how else could I get a virus on my system?
    >
    > Instant Messenger accounts. IRC. Image files.

    These are effectively the same things as "email attachments". Running
    progams sent to you over the internet. I don't, pure and simple.

    > Java applets. Malicious web servers.

    These are effectively the same thing as "running freeware". I don't allow
    untrusted sites to run Java applets or ActiveX controls. Some basic
    precautions are all that are needs.

    > If you're running certain versions of Windows, you can get a
    > virus just by existing and being online.

    Not if you keep your version of Windows up-to-date, like I do.

    > Running a computer that is connected to the internet without
    > good anti-virus is an act of criminal stupidity. I wish you
    > would get your hard drive blown up out of principle.

    Heh. How do you define "criminal stupidity"? Like I said, in fifteen years
    I have yet to get a virus despite not have any resource-hogging anti-virus
    software. All you need is common sense.

    -Richard

    Richard Lawson wrote:
    > "Brian" wrote:

    >>If you're running certain versions of Windows, you can get a
    >>virus just by existing and being online.
    >

    > Not if you keep your version of Windows up-to-date, like I do.

    If your successful defense is keeping Windows up-to-date, that implies
    that non-up-to-date Windows would be vulnerable.

    Since each version of Windows was up-to-date at some point, that implies
    that up-to-date Windows is sometimes vulnerable. After all, if it were
    not, there would be no reason to update it with security patches.

    A reasonable conclusion is that you have simply been lucky for fifteen
    years. I, too, was lucky for fifteen years. Then I wasn't.

    "Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in

    >>>Oh? Pray tell, how else could I get a virus on my system?
    >>
    >> Instant Messenger accounts. IRC. Image files.
    >
    > These are effectively the same things as "email attachments". Running
    > progams sent to you over the internet. I don't, pure and simple.
    >
    >> Java applets. Malicious web servers.
    >
    > These are effectively the same thing as "running freeware". I don't
    > allow untrusted sites to run Java applets or ActiveX controls. Some
    > basic precautions are all that are needs.
    >
    >> If you're running certain versions of Windows, you can get a virus
    >> just by existing and being online.
    >
    > Not if you keep your version of Windows up-to-date, like I do.

    Not true actually, there is a window of time between when a problem is
    found and when it is fixed, sometimes that window can be quite large,
    sometimes quite small. Usually, when a problem is found, it is first
    reported to Microsoft, who then may ignore it, then the problem is
    publicly reported, then sometime after that Microsoft releases a patch to
    correct the issue. This is if it is one of the organizations or people
    that look for problems in order to get them corrected. Now, if on the
    other hand, it's someone with more nefarious ends in mind that finds the
    problem, it may go undetected for significantly longer.

    >> Running a computer that is connected to the internet without
    >> good anti-virus is an act of criminal stupidity. I wish you would
    >> get your hard drive blown up out of principle.
    >
    > Heh. How do you define "criminal stupidity"? Like I said, in fifteen
    > years I have yet to get a virus despite not have any resource-hogging
    > anti-virus software. All you need is common sense.

    How do you know for certain that you do not have a virus?

    --
    Richard

    "Richard" wrote:

    > How do you know for certain that you do not have a virus?

    Periodically I go to this site:

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    I run their free online virus scanner. It always comes back clean.

    Plus, I have a true firewall (not the SP2 stuff, ugh) that hasn't reported
    any attempts at backdoor access from either direction. My files aren't
    getting deleted, nothing is consuming resources, I'm not unwittingly
    emailing everyone in my address book, etc. If I have a virus, its only
    purpose is to cause me to lag just after I get an add during a tough fight.
    =P

    -Richard

    "Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in message
    > "Richard" wrote:
    > >
    > > How do you know for certain that you do not have a virus?
    > >

    > Periodically I go to this site:
    >
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >
    > I run their free online virus scanner. It always comes back clean.
    >
    > Plus, I have a true firewall (not the SP2 stuff, ugh) that hasn't reported
    > any attempts at backdoor access from either direction. My files aren't
    > getting deleted, nothing is consuming resources, I'm not unwittingly
    > emailing everyone in my address book, etc. If I have a virus, its only
    > purpose is to cause me to lag just after I get an add during a tough
    fight.
    > =P
    >
    > -Richard

    Also there is the simple task of opening up your task manager and seeing
    what running processes there are.
    Running MSCONFIG to find out what programs are starting up with the computer
    Check the registry under the RUN subkey to find out what is running at boot.
    Lots and lots of ways to find a virus

    "Cory" <stnihilist@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> "Richard" wrote:
    >> >
    >> > How do you know for certain that you do not have a virus?
    >> >

    >> Periodically I go to this site:
    >>
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >>
    >> I run their free online virus scanner. It always comes back clean.
    >>
    >> Plus, I have a true firewall (not the SP2 stuff, ugh) that hasn't
    >> reported
    >> any attempts at backdoor access from either direction. My files aren't
    >> getting deleted, nothing is consuming resources, I'm not unwittingly
    >> emailing everyone in my address book, etc. If I have a virus, its only
    >> purpose is to cause me to lag just after I get an add during a tough
    > fight.
    >> =P
    >>
    >> -Richard
    >>

    > Also there is the simple task of opening up your task manager and seeing
    > what running processes there are.

    How would you know what is or isnt a virus? For instance how would one know
    whether KEM.exe is a virus? Note that I am not asking if it is or isnt, but
    how the average user would be able to use the task manager to decide if he
    was infected.

    I'm french and using this programm for months, It's harmless and spared
    me a lot of headaches I don't know if the english database is packed
    like the french (updated everyday) though

    I downloaded it, installed it, fired it up, and no problems. Found the
    tablets for the Kurzen's quests. I kept this map open on my 2nd
    monitor and went to STV and knocked the quest out in 20 minutes.

    This was tremendously helpful.

    >Imagine a *complete* map of both continents, with indication of flight
    >routes, mobs, resources, all searchable...

    For a very nice map, with flights paths and dungeons locations :
    http://www.kaldorei.com/worldmap/

    Gavroche Priest 1.

    In article <1125147682.016655.171770@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    Robert S. <trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I downloaded it, installed it, fired it up, and no problems. Found the
    > tablets for the Kurzen's quests. I kept this map open on my 2nd
    > monitor and went to STV and knocked the quest out in 20 minutes.

    "knocked out the quest in 20 minutes".

    Yeah, that's why I play WoW - so I can knock out quests as fast as
    possible.

    I had cartographe installed for a while, and while it's fun to scroll
    rapidly round the whole world, it just feels too much like cheating to
    me. YMMV (almost certainly does), but having a global answer program
    running in the background seems self-defeating. Why not have add-ons
    that play the whole game for you? You could watch tv, or go out...

    ___
    Neil
    aka HighVis

    Sounds interesting, will have a look. I use the below two maps quite
    often.

    http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/kalimdorcont.php
    http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/easterncont.php

    In article <1125276525.362129.229460@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    "Brad Sprigg" <bsprigg@pecol.com.au> wrote:

    > Sounds interesting, will have a look. I use the below two maps quite
    > often.
    >
    > http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/kalimdorcont.php
    > http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/easterncont.php

    Excellent maps, both. I keep them on my desktop for quick reference :)

    --
    Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
    Also (rarely):

    again, I'm not 'wishing' that you get infected. Just pointing out that
    not running an AV program is a very risky thing *no matter what
    precautions you take*.
    In some moments of time, some smart guys found windows vulnerabilities
    in which you could get a virus just by being connected to the Internet,
    no browsing needed, no opening attachments needed too. Who's to say
    that there isn't another one (or more than one) of these
    vulnerabilities still 'unfixed'?
    Like someone else said, I used to be like you, confident that by being
    cautious and smart on the things I clicked on or what attachments I
    opened, I would never get infected...
    I was wrong.

    By the way, IE is not less secure than the other browsers out there
    (like Firefox, etc.)... it's just more 'targetted' by the hackers, but
    as the other browsers get more share, so will they get more share of
    the attacks

    I've got a level 45 Rogue Engineer with a Deepsea Diving Helmet.

    How long should I have spent on this quest?

    And it seems I missed a Troll.

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > again, I'm not 'wishing' that you get infected. Just pointing out that
    > not running an AV program is a very risky thing *no matter what
    > precautions you take*.
    > In some moments of time, some smart guys found windows vulnerabilities
    > in which you could get a virus just by being connected to the Internet,
    > no browsing needed, no opening attachments needed too. Who's to say
    > that there isn't another one (or more than one) of these
    > vulnerabilities still 'unfixed'?
    > Like someone else said, I used to be like you, confident that by being
    > cautious and smart on the things I clicked on or what attachments I
    > opened, I would never get infected...
    > I was wrong.
    >
    > By the way, IE is not less secure than the other browsers out there
    > (like Firefox, etc.)... it's just more 'targetted' by the hackers, but
    > as the other browsers get more share, so will they get more share of
    > the attacks

    An anti-virus program isn't going to stop hacking. As in life, it is the way
    you conduct yourself on-line that increases the risks.

    http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > again, I'm not 'wishing' that you get infected.

    Nope, that was Brian.

    > Just pointing out that
    > not running an AV program is a very risky thing *no matter what
    > precautions you take*.
    > In some moments of time, some smart guys found windows vulnerabilities
    > in which you could get a virus just by being connected to the Internet,
    > no browsing needed, no opening attachments needed too. Who's to say
    > that there isn't another one (or more than one) of these
    > vulnerabilities still 'unfixed'?
    > Like someone else said, I used to be like you, confident that by being
    > cautious and smart on the things I clicked on or what attachments I
    > opened, I would never get infected...
    > I was wrong.

    You are wrong again if you think your virus scanner protects you from
    a virus you get "just by being connected to the Internet".

    Just as it isn't required to have a virus scanner running, to actually
    have one running doesn't make you invulnerable.

    To know a bit what you're doing and to think before click is at least
    as safe as having a virus scanner running and thinking it protects
    you from all evil.

    Chris

    --
    [WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
    Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

    "Christian Stauffer" wrote:

    > To know a bit what you're doing and to think before
    > click is at least as safe as having a virus scanner
    > running and thinking it protects you from all evil.

    That is exactly my philosophy. And so far, my common sense consume a lot
    less system resources than does any AV software. =)

    -Richard

Games Warcraft World Of Warcraft Video Games