Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WoW Cartographe

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 6:06:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Hi all,

Just wanted to mention this very handy standalone program for WoW :
http://tixu.scribe.free.fr/indexen.php
Obviously, it's very French-centric, but there is an English version
available on the above link.

Imagine a *complete* map of both continents, with indication of flight
routes, mobs, resources, all searchable...

CYA

Skorodom, Troll L40 mage on Dragonblight

More about : wow cartographe

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 6:06:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

forget it, I'm not running 'standalone' programs. The much safer
'addons' are good enough
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 6:06:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Thanks for being the guinea pig. Glad to hear you've enjoyed it
without problem. It really does look interesting.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 6:06:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

The problem with your logic is that you assume virus only come from
'email attachments' or from running 'freeware'.
For all you know, you very probably have some virus/worm/spyware
running in the background.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not 'paranoid', it's just that I don't see the
need to run third party applications in pages that 'look legit', when
WoW has a safe mechanism (addons) and there are many already developed
that work as well or better.
But hey, to each his own is what I always say.
August 26, 2005 6:06:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

If you uninstall your program and re-install it, you can select English
and English. make sure you do it 2 times on the same popup window that
asks you to choose. Then everything is in English.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 6:06:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

I scanned both EXEs and they are clean.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 6:06:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"wolfing" wrote:
>
> forget it, I'm not running 'standalone' programs. The
> much safer 'addons' are good enough

While it is generally good advice to be cautious about running unknown
executables on your system, there's also such a thing as being too paranoid.

I myself don't have anti-virus software on my system because, frankly, I
don't need it. I don't open attachments emailed me from unknown persons, I
don't run a bunch of freeware... basically, I don't go courting trouble. In
fifteen years of cruising the internet, I have yet to be hit by a virus.

And yet, I downloaded and ran this program. I checked out the site and it
looked legit enough to me. I tried it out, and it looks great. My only
objection is that even the "English" version has all its menu options in
French, so I had to guess a lot about how to make it work. It's nice to see
all the flight plans and such.

I'll let y'all know if my computer melts or all my credit card info is
stolen or my characters stripped of their equipment. For now, though, I'm
playing around with this program and like what I see.

If only I could read French...

-Richard
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 6:06:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"wolfing" wrote:
>
> The problem with your logic is that you assume virus
> only come from 'email attachments' or from running
> 'freeware'.

Oh? Pray tell, how else could I get a virus on my system?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 6:06:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>I'll let y'all know if my computer melts or all my credit card info is
>stolen or my characters stripped of their equipment. For now, though, I'm
>playing around with this program and like what I see.

The problem with your logic is that if your computer melts, you will
not be able to get onto this NG and let us know.


Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 56 Troll Rogue
Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 6:06:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Lehi" wrote:
>
>>I'll let y'all know if my computer melts or all my
>>credit card info is stolen or my characters stripped
>>of their equipment. For now, though, I'm playing
>>around with this program and like what I see.
>
> The problem with your logic is that if your computer
> melts, you will not be able to get onto this NG and
> let us know.

The problem with *your* logic is that you assume I have only one computer.
=)

-Richard
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 26, 2005 7:00:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Brian" wrote:
>>"wolfing" wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem with your logic is that you assume virus
>>> only come from 'email attachments' or from running
>>> 'freeware'.
>>
>>Oh? Pray tell, how else could I get a virus on my system?
>
> Instant Messenger accounts. IRC. Image files.

These are effectively the same things as "email attachments". Running
progams sent to you over the internet. I don't, pure and simple.

> Java applets. Malicious web servers.

These are effectively the same thing as "running freeware". I don't allow
untrusted sites to run Java applets or ActiveX controls. Some basic
precautions are all that are needs.

> If you're running certain versions of Windows, you can get a
> virus just by existing and being online.

Not if you keep your version of Windows up-to-date, like I do.

> Running a computer that is connected to the internet without
> good anti-virus is an act of criminal stupidity. I wish you
> would get your hard drive blown up out of principle.

Heh. How do you define "criminal stupidity"? Like I said, in fifteen years
I have yet to get a virus despite not have any resource-hogging anti-virus
software. All you need is common sense.

-Richard
August 26, 2005 7:00:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Richard Lawson wrote:
> "Brian" wrote:

>>If you're running certain versions of Windows, you can get a
>>virus just by existing and being online.
>
>
> Not if you keep your version of Windows up-to-date, like I do.

If your successful defense is keeping Windows up-to-date, that implies
that non-up-to-date Windows would be vulnerable.

Since each version of Windows was up-to-date at some point, that implies
that up-to-date Windows is sometimes vulnerable. After all, if it were
not, there would be no reason to update it with security patches.

A reasonable conclusion is that you have simply been lucky for fifteen
years. I, too, was lucky for fifteen years. Then I wasn't.
August 27, 2005 1:11:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in
news:D ensc00bn1@news3.newsguy.com:

> "Brian" wrote:
>>>"wolfing" wrote:
>>>>
>>>> The problem with your logic is that you assume virus
>>>> only come from 'email attachments' or from running 'freeware'.
>>>
>>>Oh? Pray tell, how else could I get a virus on my system?
>>
>> Instant Messenger accounts. IRC. Image files.
>
> These are effectively the same things as "email attachments". Running
> progams sent to you over the internet. I don't, pure and simple.
>
>> Java applets. Malicious web servers.
>
> These are effectively the same thing as "running freeware". I don't
> allow untrusted sites to run Java applets or ActiveX controls. Some
> basic precautions are all that are needs.
>
>> If you're running certain versions of Windows, you can get a virus
>> just by existing and being online.
>
> Not if you keep your version of Windows up-to-date, like I do.

Not true actually, there is a window of time between when a problem is
found and when it is fixed, sometimes that window can be quite large,
sometimes quite small. Usually, when a problem is found, it is first
reported to Microsoft, who then may ignore it, then the problem is
publicly reported, then sometime after that Microsoft releases a patch to
correct the issue. This is if it is one of the organizations or people
that look for problems in order to get them corrected. Now, if on the
other hand, it's someone with more nefarious ends in mind that finds the
problem, it may go undetected for significantly longer.

>
>> Running a computer that is connected to the internet without
>> good anti-virus is an act of criminal stupidity. I wish you would
>> get your hard drive blown up out of principle.
>
> Heh. How do you define "criminal stupidity"? Like I said, in fifteen
> years I have yet to get a virus despite not have any resource-hogging
> anti-virus software. All you need is common sense.
>

How do you know for certain that you do not have a virus?

--
Richard
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 27, 2005 1:11:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Richard" wrote:
>
> How do you know for certain that you do not have a virus?
>

Periodically I go to this site:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I run their free online virus scanner. It always comes back clean.

Plus, I have a true firewall (not the SP2 stuff, ugh) that hasn't reported
any attempts at backdoor access from either direction. My files aren't
getting deleted, nothing is consuming resources, I'm not unwittingly
emailing everyone in my address book, etc. If I have a virus, its only
purpose is to cause me to lag just after I get an add during a tough fight.
=P

-Richard
August 27, 2005 3:20:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in message
news:D eo29s0is1@news3.newsguy.com...
> "Richard" wrote:
> >
> > How do you know for certain that you do not have a virus?
> >
>
> Periodically I go to this site:
>
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> I run their free online virus scanner. It always comes back clean.
>
> Plus, I have a true firewall (not the SP2 stuff, ugh) that hasn't reported
> any attempts at backdoor access from either direction. My files aren't
> getting deleted, nothing is consuming resources, I'm not unwittingly
> emailing everyone in my address book, etc. If I have a virus, its only
> purpose is to cause me to lag just after I get an add during a tough
fight.
> =P
>
> -Richard
>
>
Also there is the simple task of opening up your task manager and seeing
what running processes there are.
Running MSCONFIG to find out what programs are starting up with the computer
Check the registry under the RUN subkey to find out what is running at boot.
Lots and lots of ways to find a virus
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 27, 2005 3:20:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Cory" <stnihilist@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%sNPe.2963$eQ.2709@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
>
> "Richard Lawson" <nouma@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:D eo29s0is1@news3.newsguy.com...
>> "Richard" wrote:
>> >
>> > How do you know for certain that you do not have a virus?
>> >
>>
>> Periodically I go to this site:
>>
>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>>
>> I run their free online virus scanner. It always comes back clean.
>>
>> Plus, I have a true firewall (not the SP2 stuff, ugh) that hasn't
>> reported
>> any attempts at backdoor access from either direction. My files aren't
>> getting deleted, nothing is consuming resources, I'm not unwittingly
>> emailing everyone in my address book, etc. If I have a virus, its only
>> purpose is to cause me to lag just after I get an add during a tough
> fight.
>> =P
>>
>> -Richard
>>
>>
> Also there is the simple task of opening up your task manager and seeing
> what running processes there are.

How would you know what is or isnt a virus? For instance how would one know
whether KEM.exe is a virus? Note that I am not asking if it is or isnt, but
how the average user would be able to use the task manager to decide if he
was infected.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 27, 2005 3:32:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

I'm french and using this programm for months, It's harmless and spared
me a lot of headaches I don't know if the english database is packed
like the french (updated everyday) though
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 27, 2005 10:01:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

I downloaded it, installed it, fired it up, and no problems. Found the
tablets for the Kurzen's quests. I kept this map open on my 2nd
monitor and went to STV and knocked the quest out in 20 minutes.

This was tremendously helpful.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 27, 2005 1:14:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

>Imagine a *complete* map of both continents, with indication of flight
>routes, mobs, resources, all searchable...


For a very nice map, with flights paths and dungeons locations :
http://www.kaldorei.com/worldmap/

Gavroche Priest 1.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 28, 2005 6:31:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

In article <1125147682.016655.171770@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Robert S. <trawetstrebor@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded it, installed it, fired it up, and no problems. Found the
> tablets for the Kurzen's quests. I kept this map open on my 2nd
> monitor and went to STV and knocked the quest out in 20 minutes.


"knocked out the quest in 20 minutes".

Yeah, that's why I play WoW - so I can knock out quests as fast as
possible.

I had cartographe installed for a while, and while it's fun to scroll
rapidly round the whole world, it just feels too much like cheating to
me. YMMV (almost certainly does), but having a global answer program
running in the background seems self-defeating. Why not have add-ons
that play the whole game for you? You could watch tv, or go out...

___
Neil
aka HighVis
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 29, 2005 6:30:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

In article <1125276525.362129.229460@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Brad Sprigg" <bsprigg@pecol.com.au> wrote:

> Sounds interesting, will have a look. I use the below two maps quite
> often.
>
> http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/kalimdor...
> http://www.worldofwar.net/cartography/worldmap/easternc...

Excellent maps, both. I keep them on my desktop for quick reference :) 

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):
Chum, Gnome warlock, Bronzebeard
Tost, Dwarven rogue, Bronzebeard
Meadow, Night elf priest, Bronzebeard
Harmany, Undead mage, Dethecus
<http://www.ManyFriends.com/WoW/PhotoAlbum/&gt;
Aka "Misc" -- If you don't remove your pants, I won't get your email.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 29, 2005 9:51:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

again, I'm not 'wishing' that you get infected. Just pointing out that
not running an AV program is a very risky thing *no matter what
precautions you take*.
In some moments of time, some smart guys found windows vulnerabilities
in which you could get a virus just by being connected to the Internet,
no browsing needed, no opening attachments needed too. Who's to say
that there isn't another one (or more than one) of these
vulnerabilities still 'unfixed'?
Like someone else said, I used to be like you, confident that by being
cautious and smart on the things I clicked on or what attachments I
opened, I would never get infected...
I was wrong.

By the way, IE is not less secure than the other browsers out there
(like Firefox, etc.)... it's just more 'targetted' by the hackers, but
as the other browsers get more share, so will they get more share of
the attacks
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 29, 2005 10:08:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

I've got a level 45 Rogue Engineer with a Deepsea Diving Helmet.

How long should I have spent on this quest?

And it seems I missed a Troll.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 29, 2005 6:26:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1125319910.233339.291440@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> again, I'm not 'wishing' that you get infected. Just pointing out that
> not running an AV program is a very risky thing *no matter what
> precautions you take*.
> In some moments of time, some smart guys found windows vulnerabilities
> in which you could get a virus just by being connected to the Internet,
> no browsing needed, no opening attachments needed too. Who's to say
> that there isn't another one (or more than one) of these
> vulnerabilities still 'unfixed'?
> Like someone else said, I used to be like you, confident that by being
> cautious and smart on the things I clicked on or what attachments I
> opened, I would never get infected...
> I was wrong.
>
> By the way, IE is not less secure than the other browsers out there
> (like Firefox, etc.)... it's just more 'targetted' by the hackers, but
> as the other browsers get more share, so will they get more share of
> the attacks
>
An anti-virus program isn't going to stop hacking. As in life, it is the way
you conduct yourself on-line that increases the risks.

http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 29, 2005 8:30:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> again, I'm not 'wishing' that you get infected.

Nope, that was Brian.

> Just pointing out that
> not running an AV program is a very risky thing *no matter what
> precautions you take*.
> In some moments of time, some smart guys found windows vulnerabilities
> in which you could get a virus just by being connected to the Internet,
> no browsing needed, no opening attachments needed too. Who's to say
> that there isn't another one (or more than one) of these
> vulnerabilities still 'unfixed'?
> Like someone else said, I used to be like you, confident that by being
> cautious and smart on the things I clicked on or what attachments I
> opened, I would never get infected...
> I was wrong.

You are wrong again if you think your virus scanner protects you from
a virus you get "just by being connected to the Internet".

Just as it isn't required to have a virus scanner running, to actually
have one running doesn't make you invulnerable.

To know a bit what you're doing and to think before click is at least
as safe as having a virus scanner running and thinking it protects
you from all evil.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jazrah - Brutal Troll (16) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Jivarr - Charming Troll (12) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 29, 2005 8:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Christian Stauffer" wrote:
>
> To know a bit what you're doing and to think before
> click is at least as safe as having a virus scanner
> running and thinking it protects you from all evil.

That is exactly my philosophy. And so far, my common sense consume a lot
less system resources than does any AV software. =)

-Richard
!