CPU fan slow to start/two beeps on bootup

thebrookdweller

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hello, I need some help

Just assembled a new PC

cpu = intel i3 2100 (placeholder for a few months until I get an i7 3770k)
MoBo = asus p8z77 v
RAM = corsair vengeance 1600 (16gb total)
PSU = corsair tx650 v 2
case = Cooler Master haf 932

When powering the system on I notice that the case fans start up immediately but the cpu fan is slow to start, almost like it's stuttering and then will go to full speed. I hear 2 distinct beeps as well...the first one is a lower pitch than the second one and they are several seconds apart. The second one I believe is the POST beep, I can boot into Windows fine and everything appears ok. I've tried booting with just one stick of ram and it's the same thing. I haven't built an Intel machine in three years and none of my amd builds have done this (the fans started just fine/one normal POST beep). There's nothing in the manual about this series of beeps as there's several seconds between the two, as if it's POSTing twice. The UEFI doesn't show anything abnomal unless I have the front led fan plugged into the mobo, then it shows the corresponding chassis fan red and rpm at 500+....I've of course tried with just one stick of ram and each slot individually, as well as trying all for sticks of ram one at a time too. Sorry I don't have more information to go off of but I can't find anything on this type of behavior from the pc. Again I have to emphasize that apart from the slow time for the fan to spin and the two beeps on POST, everything functions ok as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, I was away over Labor Day and didn't have any Internet access.

Thanks for uploading that video and I would definitely say that is abnormal and fan should start quite a bit faster than that. Based on your troubleshooting it appears that the fan itself is the point...

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
It seems like you have more than covered you based but here a few questions to get the conversation going:

1) I wonder if it has to do with 3 or 4 pin connector on the board, do you know if another fan is plugged in that slot if it reacts the same way?

2) What is the video card setup that you have (just to make sure you're not over 650w draw)?

3) What RPM does the BIOS show the fan running at?

4) When you say it "slow to start" what does that mean exactly? 2 seconds, 10 seconds, etc.

I've known systems that have done similar things and it wasn't an issue as the fan's stutter time was less than a second. The second beep I can't really explain, but again I've seen that too but never really found a cause for the issue and it didn't seem to negatively effect anything so I basically just let it go.

thebrookdweller

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

the only things installed are cpu, ram and mobo, so I'm using the onboard graphics. I will eventually be using a 660 ti but have to get everything else in order first.

I haven't tried a different fan in the same connector but I did plug the cpu fan into a different connector with the same results, beeps included. I'll try a different fan when home.

Bios, from memory reported all the fans apart from the led fan to be spinning at around 1000 rpm

2 seconds or so for the fan to start up, it will start a little and then stop for a second and start normally from there.

Yeah, the beep doesn't appear to be affecting anything I've just never had this happen before. If it's normal/ok that's great I just didn't want to assume and then something worse go wrong because of it before I could return the equipment.

thebrookdweller

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, I was away over Labor Day and didn't have any Internet access.

Thanks for uploading that video and I would definitely say that is abnormal and fan should start quite a bit faster than that. Based on your troubleshooting it appears that the fan itself is the point of failure. If I were in your position I would contact Intel for an RMA of the stock fan/heatsink assembly. I would hope to think that they wouldn't require that you send your parts first (so you can continue to build your system) but if so I would request from that you get the parts first before sending yours out, I've been able to do this with a couple of manufacturers.

Good to hear the other issue resolved itself.

Solution

thebrookdweller

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

The fan itself is definitely the point of failure, I tried it with the hyper 212+ and that one works as it should. I'll look into getting an RMA for the stock heatsink, even if I'm not using it now I will likely use it in the future after upgrading to an i7 and giving this particular i3 to my gf.