Media Player's toolbar keeps resizing the Windows Taskbar

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.music (More info?)

Hello all,

I have my Windows task bar size set to 3 lines (I'm guessing that is how you
would describe it) with the Quick Launch, Media Player, and Address toolbars
turned on. Every time I go to minimize Media Player, the Windows Task Bar
gets resized to 2 lines when Media Player's toolbar appears.

Is there any to prevent this from happening and keeping the Task Bar sized
to 3 lines when Media Player is minimized.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly
7 answers Last reply
More about media player toolbar resizing windows taskbar
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.music (More info?)

    Right click the Taskbar | Lock the Taskbar

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uuGkhOLiFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Conan Kelly <CTBarbarin at msn dot com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have my Windows task bar size set to 3 lines (I'm guessing that is how
    > you would describe it) with the Quick Launch, Media Player, and Address
    > toolbars turned on. Every time I go to minimize Media Player, the
    > Windows Task Bar gets resized to 2 lines when Media Player's toolbar
    > appears.
    >
    > Is there any to prevent this from happening and keeping the Task Bar sized
    > to 3 lines when Media Player is minimized.
    >
    > Thanks for any help anyone can provide,
    >
    > Conan Kelly
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.music (More info?)

    Yeah, I've already thought of that. It still shrinks the Taskbar and it
    also prevents me from resizing the Taskbar back to 3 lines

    Thank you anyways.

    Please if anyone knows how to prevent this, let me know.

    Conan Kelly

    > Right click the Taskbar | Lock the Taskbar
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.music (More info?)

    Honestly, I can't see why you would need all three visible via the Taskbar
    at all times. That said, check with the Media groups. Added info, if
    needed:

    Programs Aren't Minimized in the Taskbar (Line 240)

    Restore Taskbar and Desktop to Default Functionality (Line 164)

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Conan Kelly" <CTBarbarin at msn dot com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have my Windows task bar size set to 3 lines (I'm guessing that is how
    > you would describe it) with the Quick Launch, Media Player, and Address
    > toolbars turned on. Every time I go to minimize Media Player, the Windows
    > Task Bar gets resized to 2 lines when Media Player's toolbar appears.
    >
    > Is there any to prevent this from happening and keeping the Task Bar sized
    > to 3 lines when Media Player is minimized.
    >
    > Thanks for any help anyone can provide,
    >
    > Conan Kelly

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.music (More info?)

    In microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer Conan Kelly <CTBarbarin at msn dot com> wrote:
    > I have my Windows task bar size set to 3 lines (I'm guessing that is how you
    > would describe it) with the Quick Launch, Media Player, and Address toolbars
    > turned on. Every time I go to minimize Media Player, the Windows Task Bar
    > gets resized to 2 lines when Media Player's toolbar appears.

    I can not duplicate this error; w/ a 3-line taskbar, minimising WMP 10
    works just fine, taskbar locked or not, mediaplayer-toolbar enabled or
    not. .

    So, something else is fishy...

    FWIW, I do have the taskbar running as a separate process, which does
    "cure" some taskbar wierdness, like tool-tips behind etc; try it:

    =============
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001
    "SeparateProcess"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess]
    "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    =============
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.music (More info?)

    HMMMMM, I am using WMP 9 here at work. I don't have privileges to upgrade
    to WMP 10. But I do have WMP 10 at home. I will check that out later to
    see if that is the issue. And I will try your registry tweak as well.
    Thanks for the info.

    Conan kelly

    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    > In microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer Conan Kelly <CTBarbarin
    > at msn dot com> wrote:
    >> I have my Windows task bar size set to 3 lines (I'm guessing that is how
    >> you
    >> would describe it) with the Quick Launch, Media Player, and Address
    >> toolbars
    >> turned on. Every time I go to minimize Media Player, the Windows Task
    >> Bar
    >> gets resized to 2 lines when Media Player's toolbar appears.
    >
    > I can not duplicate this error; w/ a 3-line taskbar, minimising WMP 10
    > works just fine, taskbar locked or not, mediaplayer-toolbar enabled or
    > not. .
    >
    > So, something else is fishy...
    >
    > FWIW, I do have the taskbar running as a separate process, which does
    > "cure" some taskbar wierdness, like tool-tips behind etc; try it:
    >
    > =============
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    > "DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001
    > "SeparateProcess"=dword:00000001
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess]
    > "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    > =============

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.music (More info?)

    Hey Frodo,

    Thanks for the info. But it doesn't seem like anything is going to work.

    Like I mentioned before, at work I have WMP 9. Here at home is WMP 10.
    They both act the same way.

    I have tried your registry tweak here at home with no difference. Also when
    I was in RegEdit, I noticed that those two values didn't exist in the first
    key listed and the second key didn't exist, so I created them all (in the
    second key, I'm assuming that "BrowseNewProcess" is a string value). Is
    that what you had to do, create them all. Or should they have been there
    already and all I needed to do is change the values.

    Now if I'm making all these run as separate processes, shouldn't new
    processes show up in task manager. I'm not sure what to look for. All
    processes look familiar, but I didn't take a Print Screen before hand to
    compare it to. What should I look for.

    Thanks again for all of your help,

    Conan Kelly

    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    > I can not duplicate this error; w/ a 3-line taskbar, minimising WMP 10
    > works just fine, taskbar locked or not, mediaplayer-toolbar enabled or
    > not. .
    >
    > So, something else is fishy...
    >
    > FWIW, I do have the taskbar running as a separate process, which does
    > "cure" some taskbar wierdness, like tool-tips behind etc; try it:
    >
    > =============
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    > "DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001
    > "SeparateProcess"=dword:00000001
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess]
    > "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"
    > =============

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.music (More info?)

    In microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer Conan Kelly <CTBarbarin at msn dot com> wrote:

    > I have tried your registry tweak here at home with no difference. Also when
    > I was in RegEdit, I noticed that those two values didn't exist in the first
    > key listed and the second key didn't exist, so I created them all (in the
    > second key, I'm assuming that "BrowseNewProcess" is a string value). Is
    > that what you had to do, create them all. Or should they have been there
    > already and all I needed to do is change the values.

    Yes, you have to add them. easiest way would be to cut-and-paste that
    segment I wrote into a .reg file and just right-click | merge it.

    > Now if I'm making all these run as separate processes, shouldn't new
    > processes show up in task manager. I'm not sure what to look for.

    Yes, you'll see two explorer.exe's when you have a file manager window
    open.

    >> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    >> "DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001
    >> "SeparateProcess"=dword:00000001
    >>
    >> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BrowseNewProcess]
    >> "BrowseNewProcess"="yes"

Configuration Taskbar Microsoft Media Player Windows XP