Sign in with
Your question

How to make a PC with max storage capacity

Last response: in Systems
August 31, 2012 7:43:45 PM

I have a good PC with 2 hard drives, 3TB total. I think I can add 6 more, and 3TB is whats available, so it is gonna be at least 18TB more. The thing is that I would like to get to 50 or 100TB total, and I am wondering what is the best way to do that.

I know that there are external drives, but they are probably slower. I am not sure if I can get PC just for the sotrage (probably something slow with network card), and connect a few in a network etc. That would probably work, but I am not sure if there aren't any better ways to get good storage etc. Maybe there are special cases or something...

Thank you.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 31, 2012 8:35:10 PM

The only way to get 50 or 100 TB is to put a whole lot of 3TB drives into a dedicated disk storage array.
Related resources
September 1, 2012 4:46:34 PM

Thanks, this is probably what I am looking for. Is there any chance that there might be someting like regular PC case, but holds 16 drives (or more; or less...).
a b B Homebuilt system
September 1, 2012 5:38:58 PM

jt333 said:
Thanks, this is probably what I am looking for. Is there any chance that there might be someting like regular PC case, but holds 16 drives (or more; or less...).

Most storage arrays come in the rackmount form. You won't find any "PC" cases that can hold that many drives but you may find some workstation towers that can.

Devices like that are very very heavy though.
!