Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU FAN Did this ever happened to you?

Last response: in CPUs
January 15, 2013 4:31:22 AM

I was trying to help a friend with his computer. It's getting slow and I though it needed more ram. When I opened the case I was surprised with this http://postimage.org/image/4y8ok3ojf/
This is nuts. do you think it's the reason the computer is slow and freezes suddenly??

More about : cpu fan happened

a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 4:37:31 AM

u have a rusted fan u need to replace it
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 4:41:50 AM

I have seen them that bad and even worse. At least there is no long haired cat involved.

Get a can of compressed air and blow it out, but hold the fan still with a pen or pencil or screwdriver while you do it. The air stream will cause the fan to spin quickly or in the wrong direction and can damage it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 193 à CPUs
January 15, 2013 4:42:09 AM

that not bad as dust is on older pc. if you have a vac or air pump that blows air just blow it out. i would start with a hirem boot cd and boot from it. run anti virus scan and then hdtune or hard drive test. hard drives do have a set life and they can cause a pc to slow down when they start to die/age. i would also run memtest to see if his ram is fine. also use ccleaner and a good defrag. also use msconfig and turn off unneeded programs at start up. with windows sometime is it a good thing to nuke and pave it every some many years. (wipe the hard drive and start fresh). I would use a ext hard drive and move his personal data to it then run the desktop restore cd. depending on the age of the pc..at some point you do need to say dude this system is too old to do what you want..time to replace it with a newer system.
January 15, 2013 4:42:47 AM

skitz9417 said:
u have a rusted fan u need to replace it

Do you think it would resolve the problem?. (computer being slow and freezes after 15-20 minutes when I boot it up)
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 4:44:13 AM

Clean the heatsink out then monitor the temps with Real Temp or HWMonitor, then report back.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 4:44:59 AM

it maybe be the cpu is overheating
m
l
January 15, 2013 4:45:31 AM

simo110 said:
Do you think it would resolve the problem?. (computer being slow and freezes after 15-20 minutes when I boot it up)

That probably resulted from the CPU overheating and then throttling down.. Clean out the dust, re-apply some thermal paste and see if that resolves the problem.
m
l
January 15, 2013 4:46:40 AM

Proximon said:
I have seen them that bad and even worse. At least there is no long haired cat involved.

Get a can of compressed air and blow it out, but hold the fan still with a pen or pencil or screwdriver while you do it. The air stream will cause the fan to spin quickly or in the wrong direction and can damage it.

It's already damaged :p 
m
l
January 15, 2013 6:30:42 PM

Proximon said:

long haired cat ....... lol [:russk1:6]
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:14:16 AM

Best answer selected by simo110.
m
l
!