Desktop Computer for Editing Feature Length HD Film (AVCHD files) ?

ScottGM

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hey all, so I am looking into options on if I should get a desktop computer and if so what are the options and price ranges for getting a desktop computer. I bought a FS700 which is a top notch quality HD camera that shoots AVCHD. I hear and read and believe as well that Adobe Premiere 5 plays them natively. My Mac computer, an OS X laptop compresses the video.

I need an operating system that can handle the AVCHD files and not give me issues. It seems that even at 8 RAM it still won't be enough for my laptop. So I'm looking into other options on CPU's and if anyone has edited a feature length on a CPU on a budget. I'm curious if someone can help me find or link me up to desktops that are really solid for editing a feature on, especially in that format.

Any and all help is appreciated.

I've read about: i7 3770K

But don't know if there's something cheaper out there that's better or if that's the cheapest kind?

And on top of that, how much will it cost for extras in the tower, to make it run smoothly?

Scott

dragonlord12832

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
The I5 isn't really for HD video editing. AMD doesn't have anything that can really touch an I7. I think that the I7 is going to be about your best bet. Find a motherboard that will handle 32 gb of ram, and start with 16 gb. That way if 16 doesn't do it you can upgrade to 32. You may also need a strong GPU. I would find a motherboard that can do SLI/Crossfire and has two graphics card slots. As I have not had much experience with what you are doing, I can't me of much more help.