Not another too hot question

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
A friend of mine recently dropped off his Axp 2100+ system to me to fiddle around with. I noticed that with the stock heatsink/fan on, the cpu was idling around 48 degrees or so. He told me he had a thoroughbred, but upon digging into it, I discovered he had a Palamino. I know these run hot, being on the .18 process, but is this....a standard temperature for this core? I know it's running a little hot, so hence the question. The local computer shop has a sale on volcanoe 11's, so should I recommend that?

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
It sounds about right. 48C idle is actually pretty good, my 1700+ paly idles at about 54C, but thats only because I throttled the fan speed for a more quiet operation.

Another factor is room temperature, over here it usually hovers around 29C-35C, no air-con (ahh yes :)).

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
yep, 48C is not all that bad for a Palamino. My friend's Palamino 2000+ idles at 65C and peaks off to 73C at full load :eek: .

The volcano 11 is a good HSF. I recommend he buy that only if he is keeping the present system for sometime and plans to overclock the heck out of the CPU.

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
<b>slvr_phoenix</b> says: But I'd still be using Python. :p

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I wish I could've got my XP2000+ down to 48C :eek: ..

plans to overclock the heck out of the CPU.
not with a pally. 10% if he's lucky. If he does want to OC, he's better off buying a XP1700+ t-bred 'b' or something. would be a lot cooler too.

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
Thanks for the confirmations. I knew they got hot, but I wasn't sure how hot.

Now moving on to different things....such as fixing his harddrive........

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
not with a pally. 10% if he's lucky
now thats the heck he cud get out of his pally.. :smile:

me says: If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <font color=blue><b>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
<b>slvr_phoenix</b> says: But I'd still be using Python. :p

TRENDING THREADS