Willl Core i7 3770K be worth it.

Dumisani

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
Hi Everyone. I would like to know how much value will an i7 3770 or 3700K add to my daily tasks. My common Scenarios:

1.I just bought me a MSI GTX570 PowerEdition OC. Because I use my PC for Blender Cycles Rendering for animated 3D scenes sometimes. This uses the GPU(Cuda Cores) for computing.
2. I play a lot of demanding Games during Holidays like Battlefield3, MOH Warfighter or GTA IV,
3. I also convert&compress a lot of video files from now and then

I was using the Lengendary Intel Q6600 QuadCore chip. I had great experiences since 2008 with it. I saw from cpubenchmarks.net that these i7 3770 get a score 3x my last CPU. My Question is will I benefit in Games with i7 3770 or daily OS tasks like Extracting zips. Or should I just get i5 3570k. Or the i7 will be a future inverstment.

Thank You!!!

Solution
D
I'm sure he meant the 3770K at least if you plan on overclocking. Here are some side by side benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=551

Don't forget the 3770K can be overclocked to 4.3-4.5Ghz with a decent cooler.

3 times faster? Depends on the benchmark. Don't forget a major bottleneck in any editing/rendering system is the hard drive. A good fast SSD like the Samsung 840/840 Pro would help overall performance as well.
D

Deleted member 217926

I'm sure he meant the 3770K at least if you plan on overclocking. Here are some side by side benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=551

Don't forget the 3770K can be overclocked to 4.3-4.5Ghz with a decent cooler.

3 times faster? Depends on the benchmark. Don't forget a major bottleneck in any editing/rendering system is the hard drive. A good fast SSD like the Samsung 840/840 Pro would help overall performance as well.

Solution

Dumisani

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

Thanks, this site is brilliant. Wow I was comparing 3770K to the expensive intel i7 990x. This is crazy. how can a CPU so affordable be on par with the CPU I once saw with a price double than 3770k when it was new :eek:

InvalidError

Titan

Easy: even the slowest CPUs on the market today are fast enough for most people so it is becoming increasingly difficult to sell higher-end chips and the pricing ladder gets squashed to groom demand for higher-end models that no longer sell as easily as they used to.

The i5-3xxx and i7-37xx cost Intel less than $100 per chip to manufacture, almost everything beyond that is straight profit so there is plenty of room for Intel to cut prices if they ever wanted/needed to.