Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can i get more out of this?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2012 3:56:26 PM

I have the two X2 XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB DDR5 256 bit in crossfire, with all additional specs below I gues I want to see am I getting all i can out of my system? or should i break for a more current 7950? And if i went that route would it be beneficial to get a new board to support the 3.0 PCIE slot on the newer cards?

Maybe I'm itchin to just go more- but if its a community observation I should sit tight then ok; what kind of "tweaks" are there to enhance what I have. i have the very small oc on the processor and GPU's (which I occasionally run crossfire as I cant get my main game right now to work in crossfire). I just feek A) it could be faster and B) I should be able to run my games on the highest settings- or is that asking too much and the cards actually considered dated? i tend to be picky and like clear detailed imaging.

Setup:
CM HAF X Full tower
GSkill Sniper 8G (2x4) DDR3 1600
X2 XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB DDR5 256 bit 800/1000
Asus CrossHair IV Formula
AMD Phenom II X4 965 oc 3.8
CM V8 CPU cooler
CM Silent Pro M 1000W PSU
Windows 7 Home 64 bit
OCZ 120G Sata II SSD (for os)
WD 160G HD & Seagate 500G HD

More about : question

July 13, 2012 6:22:51 PM

In your case, you would probably be best advised to go with a single hi-end card over the 2 HD 6850s. They are somewhat known for micro-stutter issues and the problem you mention about not being able to run certain games well in CF. The Micro-Stutter issues with mid range and lower cards are documented here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
I had the m-s issue with my 2 HD 6850s in a couple games. DE:HR was the most noticeable.

But I am like you. I desire my games to be played at their maximum design level with all the eye candy turned on. If I have to back off on some settings, I feel I'm "not getting it all". I replaced my CF set up with the GTX 570 SLI setup in my signature below. Maybe because the 570s are a higher end card, maybe because Nvidia drivers are better... whatever the case, I have had no m-s issues or other problems for the length of time I've had the cards. I don't know if your board will do SLI... or just CF, but go for a high end card now, and maybe add a 2nd later if you need more.
Score
July 13, 2012 6:57:16 PM

Thank you clutchc- if i do go higher end...say a 7950- if my mobo does not specify 3.0 compliance will i be missing out on anything because its not? i hear that 3.0 will work in a 2.0 slot and that the technology is not really "there yet" to make good use of a 3.0 slot...if true then i would upgrade to a single (2+ vram) card and buy a second down the road when i upgrade the mobo.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

July 13, 2012 7:14:57 PM

As far as I know, you have to have a Z77 class board and an Ivy Bridge processor to make use of PCI 3.0 That will surely change as time progresses, tho.
But I know of no current graphic cards available at retail (HD 7950 included) that even saturate the PCIe 2.0 buss. So, it's up to you how furure-proof you want your system to be, and how much you think it's worth to get it there.

Personally, I like to wait until the hardware catches up with the technology before I upgrade.
July 20, 2012 9:42:04 AM

Best answer selected by tombztone.
Score
July 20, 2012 1:39:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!