PC is generating a lot of heat

srandy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
My PC is creating a lot of heat. I have cleaned all of the fans in the case and the PSU, CPU and GFX card, but there is still a lot of heat.
My PSU is 600W and is mounted at the top of the case. Beneath the PSU is a case fan, and forward from the case fan is the CPU with heatsink and fan on.
The heat seems to be mainly coming from the area between these three components.
In my expansion slots I have a Nvidia 8800GT in the top slot, a TV card in the 3rd slot down, and a sound card in the bottom slot.
Would any of these be contributing to the heat as well?

How can I get the heat levels down?

InvalidError

Titan
Not much that can be done about the amount of heat being generated other than upgrade to more power-efficient components.

If you want to reduce temperatures, you'll need to increase airflow by adding fans and/or upgrading existing ones. Since you made no mention of intake fans, you might want to look into adding some if you have unused fan mounts in the front/bottom/sides of your computer case.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
What Temp monitoring software are you currently using ?

80°C is very high. Regardless where the heat is coming from, I'm sure the Temps you are posting here are CPU Temps but correct me if I'm wrong.

If these are CPU Temps, you will need to take some action immedaitely

You can do things like clean the fans to reduce the temps on your components but they will still be producing the same amount of heat it will just be exhausted out faster. Nothing you can do other than replace parts. The main heat producers will be the GPU and CPU likely in that order.

Your idle temps seem good.

srandy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I clean the fans regularly.
Would upgrading my GPU/Graphics card improve things heat wise and power wise?
My CPU is a Core 2 Quad that runs at 2.4ghz.
My case doesn't seem to have any spaces for mounting any extra fans....I have had this computer for several years now...and the cooler-master case I have is no longer made/available.

make sure if your pc is in a pc stand or desk there open spots to let the heat out. on older cases with one or two fans there are a few things you can do. on the side panel that faces the front of the mb. you can cut it and mount a 120mm fan. then plug the fan into the mb or the power supply. another option is on some case mod sites is screen mesh.
http://www.eastwirecloth.com/black-wire-cloth_img/black-wire-cloth-2001d.jpg
just use or have someone cut the panel open to size then use some clips to hold the mesh in place.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Are these the Temps you are worried about ? 25°C Idle and 39°C Motherboard ?

srandy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

My removable side panel just has a small rectangular grill, with a small circular grill above, however, on the inside of the side panel there is a plastic funnel screwed in on the circular grill, I guess to try and help move the hot air out.
This could be removed and have a fan instead, maybe?

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Any modification to the case might affect airflow and you need to understand that.

These cases are designed the way they are for a specific reason and altering the could not only cost you money but multiple airflow issues.

I don't really understand why you think you have a heat issue but I'm sure you do