Question on TH Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart

twelve25

Distinguished
That is what they mean, but to me there is no point going from an i5-530 to a newer i3. That's not going to be a significant upgrade and you are used to 4 cores, so who wants to step back down to 2? If you want a significant upgrade, you want a newer socket 1155 based i5 or if you don't want to swap our your Motherboard, get the i7-870, but the new i5's are the fastest gaming chips currently.

Johnny828

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012

But gaming is also beginning to move to quad cores, and it'll be even more so when the new consoles come out, perhaps at the end of the year.

If you want to be more future proof than just 'able to play games that are out right now', get a quad core.

twelve25

Distinguished

It's kind of a moot point since I read the processor he has wrong. It's an i3-530, so we are talking 2 core to 2 core. Guess I need to learn how to read.

If we were taking socket 1156 i5 to socket 1155 i3, then I stand by my previous assessment which is totall irrelevant to the OPs question!

Still, why not go to i5 if you are buying parts? Just get it done and get the best for a mere $50 more.