Is my GPU DOA?

kesabo516

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I just got my new 680 from EVGA today. Installed it (the whole 8 pin/6 pin connector thing is a pain!) and turned on my pc. Started up no problem and I was running it for about 5-15 minutes. All of a sudden my monitors (I use a dual monitor set up) went black and my case sounded like there was a train in it. I quickly did a hard shut off of my computer fearing something may/is getting damaged.

I tried turning the computer back on, and got a long beep followed by two short ones. Looking it up in my manual it said "monitor or graphics card error". So I reinstalled my old card. Been using it for hours now, with no problem. EVGA is allowing me to get a new card, as I told them I believed mine was DOA.

My question, however, is: Can your card still perform for a short while and yet still be DOA? Or did I do something wrong? I don't want to get a new card and make the same mistake. Or perhaps maybe this card can still work and I'm doing something wrong? I used both power converters that came with the card.

Here is the card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130797

Specs:
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4
PSU - Corsair AX750 80 Plus Gold

That should be all that is needed, if not there's this too:

CPU - i5 2500k
GPU (current) - XFX 5870

Solution
There is a basic concept in reliability studies called the "bathtub curve", a graph of fault probability versus time. For any product, there is a high fault probability close to the first start-up, rapidly decreasing into a very low fault probability state. After a long time, there will be a sharp increase in fault probability, indicating the end of the product's life cycle.

In short, your card seems to have failed soon after turned on. Strictly speaking, it was not dead-on-arrival, but it still failed on its own and you are entitled a substitute card.

You mentioned your computer sounded like a train, could your VGA fan have gotten stuck/broken?

Also, by power converters, you mean the power connectors?
G

since you handled the older card and it still works, the new one went south one you and i doubt you did anything to cause it

There is a basic concept in reliability studies called the "bathtub curve", a graph of fault probability versus time. For any product, there is a high fault probability close to the first start-up, rapidly decreasing into a very low fault probability state. After a long time, there will be a sharp increase in fault probability, indicating the end of the product's life cycle.

In short, your card seems to have failed soon after turned on. Strictly speaking, it was not dead-on-arrival, but it still failed on its own and you are entitled a substitute card.

You mentioned your computer sounded like a train, could your VGA fan have gotten stuck/broken?

Also, by power converters, you mean the power connectors?

Solution

kesabo516

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
No clue about the fan. But, I know it was definitely something to do with the fan. Almost like it got a power surge. If it was a power surge it would explain the card giving out.

As far as the power converters are concerned. Yes, I mean power connectors. But they had me plugging in 2 6-pin cables to get an 8-pin that would plug into the card. Then I had to plug in two 3-pin type plugs into two separate things to get the 6-pin connector for the card.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-130-797-Z06?$S300$

There's the picture of the power connectors.