Wifi USB - Infrastructure Mode w/WEP

VidusDvD

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I'm asking here since since hopefully this will get the most views, but also since I have no idea where USB Wifi would go. I apologize in advance if this has to be moved.

1) I am looking for a WiFi adapter that connects via USB.

2) I want this adapter to be put into Access Point, AP, SoftAP, a.k.a. Infrastructure Mode.

3) When the adapter is AP Mode I want the security settings to be set to "none" or WEP.

4) I am in the USA and prefer Newegg for a supplier.

I want this device so that basically I can carry is around to plug into computers to create my own WiFi network. I am going to specifically use it with my NDS which can only use WEP at most. No I don't care if the device has AdHoc mode. No I don't care that using a full wireless router has a better signal. No I don't care for a wireless router can create a separate WiFi network with WEP encryption. No don't care that WPA or WPA2 are more secure. Thank you.

popatim

Titan
The problem you'll have with most of the stick style adapters is the number of people that will be able to connect. I have a friend that uses a wifi max stick and can connect up to 5 people. Its b/g/n 150mb/s and he said its a pain to setup but works very reliably afterwards.

VidusDvD

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

As stated above I am using this to create a wireless network from a wired one so I can use my NDS. This is not for general service for other people. What type of encryption does your friend's stick use? Is he actually using AP/Infrastructure mode or just the default Ad Hoc mode? (I do not want and cannot use Ad Hoc.)

VidusDvD

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
The Edimax EW-7811Un and TP-Link TL-WN727N both have SoftAP mode that includes WEP. They also work with the NDS. When I tested both the Edimax was better. I don't know if I got a defective TP-Link or that's just how it is.