Sign in with
Your question

Wifi USB - Infrastructure Mode w/WEP

Last response: in Components
January 15, 2013 2:14:44 PM

I'm asking here since since hopefully this will get the most views, but also since I have no idea where USB Wifi would go. I apologize in advance if this has to be moved.

1) I am looking for a WiFi adapter that connects via USB.

2) I want this adapter to be put into Access Point, AP, SoftAP, a.k.a. Infrastructure Mode.

3) When the adapter is AP Mode I want the security settings to be set to "none" or WEP.

4) I am in the USA and prefer Newegg for a supplier.

I want this device so that basically I can carry is around to plug into computers to create my own WiFi network. I am going to specifically use it with my NDS which can only use WEP at most. No I don't care if the device has AdHoc mode. No I don't care that using a full wireless router has a better signal. No I don't care for a wireless router can create a separate WiFi network with WEP encryption. No don't care that WPA or WPA2 are more secure. Thank you.
January 15, 2013 9:21:51 PM

The problem you'll have with most of the stick style adapters is the number of people that will be able to connect. I have a friend that uses a wifi max stick and can connect up to 5 people. Its b/g/n 150mb/s and he said its a pain to setup but works very reliably afterwards.
m
l
January 17, 2013 8:16:16 PM

popatim said:
The problem you'll have with most of the stick style adapters is the number of people that will be able to connect. I have a friend that uses a wifi max stick and can connect up to 5 people. Its b/g/n 150mb/s and he said its a pain to setup but works very reliably afterwards.

As stated above I am using this to create a wireless network from a wired one so I can use my NDS. This is not for general service for other people. What type of encryption does your friend's stick use? Is he actually using AP/Infrastructure mode or just the default Ad Hoc mode? (I do not want and cannot use Ad Hoc.)
m
l
February 8, 2013 3:07:35 PM

The Edimax EW-7811Un and TP-Link TL-WN727N both have SoftAP mode that includes WEP. They also work with the NDS. When I tested both the Edimax was better. I don't know if I got a defective TP-Link or that's just how it is.
m
l
!