~650 Gaming Rig. Need help please

DeathSheep

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: The next week or two

Budget Range: 600-700 after rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Diablo 3, APB: Reloaded, etc), possible Blender work (3D modeling), internet surfing.

Parts not required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes (but if the monitor pushes it a big over 700 i can probably deal with it fine)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg or amazon would be prefered

Parts Preferences: ive heard a lot about both intel and AMD, which ever you think suits best for my needs.

Overclocking: maybe

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 or 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I want this computer be built largely for gaming. I'll be playing Diablo 3, APB: Reloaded, League of Legends, minecraft, others to come. I also plan on having a 2 screen display in the future, so if i could get a set up that could support that well, that would be great! If the price goes a bit over 700 (including a monitor) after rebates, i can pocket it. But i prefer to keep in between $600 and $700.

EDIT: also as an additional note. i was thinking around a 500gb drive unless you really think i need more

malbluff

Honorable
A two monitor set-up is fairly useless for gaming (you central eye-line is BETWEEN monitors.) You need either one or three. Not too difficult to allow scope for that UPGRADE. Intel for CPU will give you better overall performance, than AMD (for things other than gaming ), but if you would prefer that, together with a decent 1920 monitor, will certainly push you a good bit over budget, if you want decent graphics performance, as well. Would you PREFER that, or make compromises?

DeathSheep

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Well the two screens isnt to pull the game across both windows. Its mostly for multitasking or so i dont have to switch between programs all the time. For example, with games like minecraft and league of legends, i usually have the game and a browser open at the same time. Or when i am 3D modeling, the modeling program and a browser with a tutorials or fix to my problems.

mainly i want the build to focus on just one screen with the option of a second. As for graphics, i dont need the ultimate graphics setting for each game, but the higher the setting the better. Im not a "graphics whore" as some might say, but i do like to have a clean look

malbluff

Honorable
I have tried to put something together using an Intel i5-3570K processor, which would meets all you needs, with good performance, but to do so, including decent graphics, and monitor, would have exceeded $900. Have, therefore, put together an AMD based system, which, although of slightly lesser overall performance, will still meet your needs:

CPU: AMD A8- 3870K ( $109.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ( $28.98 @ NCIX US)

Mobo: ASRock A75 PRO4 ATX FM1 ( $87.86 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 C9LP ( $44.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200 rpm ( $58.99 @ Compuvest)

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ( $134.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ( $ 36.99 @ Newegg)

PSU: Rosewill Capstone 550W ATX12v/EPS12v ( $ 69.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Dr: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ( $ 21,48 @ Amazon)

Monitor: Asus VH242H 23.6" Monitor ( $179.99 @ Newegg)

Total after mail-in rebates $ 764.25

Of course, several things are a question of personal preference, and can be changed, if preferred eg Case, monitor.

DeathSheep

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
well this build allow for possible upgrades in the future as money comes along?

also i was messing around earlier with the idea of an i5 (and building off what i found around the forums) The cheapest i got was $830. Is there any way to maybe water down this build? or would it be better to just get this one as is or the one you put above, etc.

the build i was messing around with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gfjQ

EDIT: this is also another one, using another i5, which comes to $747. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/giic

Would you suggest ones of these? or maybe a mixture? It seems like now days, intel is a bit in the lead when it comes to gaming and multitasking, so id like to be able to use an i5 if possible.

malbluff

Honorable
The first one is much the better build, in fact very similar to what I was trying to put together except:

PSU: Whilst 500W is adequate, if you are not intending to overclock, 600W would give a bit of scope for that, and any exra bits.

CPU: The one I would have chosen, but would have allowed for aftermarket cooler, to allow for any overclocking. Of course, you can add that, if and when, you decide to overclock. Just a bit more hassle changing coolers.

OPT DR: I would have, perhaps, prefered LG, or Lite-on, but there's nothing wrong with that one.

MONITOR: You have selected a smaller one than I had assumed you'd want, but that's personal choice, and you can always upgrade something like that later.

Subject to my reservations about the PSU, a good build, and "good to go"

DeathSheep

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
alrighty, so all in all, they are all compatible and each build works with its self right? Like the amd chipset graphics wont be a problem with an intel processor right? (im new to this lol)

and if i were to get the cheaper of the two that i post, would it be easy to upgrade to something of the same nature as the most expensive one i posted over the next year or so?

malbluff

Honorable

Mixing between manufacturers for CPU and GPU is not a problem. It's just having suitable motherboard, for CPU.
The main problem, with the 2nd build is that it DOESN'T give much scope to upgrade. It's simply the 2nd build is OK, the 1st build is better, and will handle most things, you throw at it, in terms of add ons.

DeathSheep

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
alrighty, last thing, i noticed that the GPU i picked for the 1st build doesn't support 2 monitors. Is there a GPU you would suggest that does support 2 and is still of the same quality and price?

DeathSheep

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
no worries mate. Thanks for your help thus far though. Hopefully i can start buying parts tomorrow (just got a pay check that will shorten that 1-2 weeks to within the week! woot)

malbluff

Honorable
Just did quick check on Asus sheet and they do, so there is solution. Will have proper look in morning, there's almost certain to be something. You could probably get around it anyway, even if it meant an adaptor to DVI, but I will check.

malbluff

Honorable
Having a quick "trawl", and the only HD7850, I can see (maybe those I haven't seen) that sports 2x DVI ports, is the Asus. Don't know whether you can get one cheap on your local sites. All is not lost. Provided at least one of your monitors has Displayport 1.2, you can use the Sapphire, or you can buy an adaptor/hub, if not. I think the issue is more of running multiple monitors, for split screen gaming. Provided it not a shared outlet, you can use HDMI, for 2nd monitor, they just won't be synchronised (not an issue for multi-tasking), but you would need to be sure that was appropriate.
To be perfectly honest, we're getting a bit outside my experience, never having had the issue, myself. Hopefully, someone else, with direct knowledge, will post. Alternatively, may be worth phone call, or email, to Diamond, to get the "full story". Sorry I can't be of more "confident" help.

malbluff

Honorable
Yes, that would be fine. Of course, it's only 7850. I think they've changed the connections, on the 7870 (and probably above), to better support eyefinity. Spoken to a couple of colleagues, who also reckon it shouldn't be a problem, with the 7870, and in worst case you might have to buy an adaptor, although it should come with it. You should be able to use DVI for gaming, and another port (that's not shared) for other things. They wouldn't necessarily be in sync, but that's not an issue, if both aren't gaming. However, as I haven't had issue before, I can't be certain, of my view, so, as I said, a call or email, to manufacturer would be wise.