First time computer compatibility check

ForgottenHawX

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hi, I would like to build a new computer and am unsure if the specs are compatible.

The specs are:
CPU: Intel CPU Core i5 3550 - LGA 1155
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Intel Mainboard - LGA 1155
SSD: Intel 520 120GB SSD - OEM
Hard-drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Desktop Memory: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL 9 DDR3 XMS3
Graphics Card: Gigabyte nVidia GTX 550 TI
I would also like to know if it all fits in a Cooler Master Centurion 5 II Case with a Thermaltake Litepower 700W power supply.

Thanks! :)

rdc85

Honorable

did u had the monitor / keyboard / OS (win/linux) / mouse / etc ?... that not required for new build (old parts that can be reuse in the new build)

ForgottenHawX

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

i have all of them except the os

ForgottenHawX

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

does ssd really make much difference? cause i dont need that good of a graphics card as ill probably just be playing lol, indie games and the odd shooter.

rdc85

Honorable
Yes if u can afford it, but right now it not wise IMO.

Giving better mobo/GPU/ even Proc will give better performance than SSD had to offer...

SSD will improving read/write speed, but what good about it if the data being processed by slow engine (GPU/Proc) the output will still somewhat slow..

Lower end part usually picky with the part it paired some had reliability issue too..

ForgottenHawX

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Ahh alright then thanks :)

jtenorj

Distinguished
Are you 100% sure that your H61 will support your Ivy Bridge out of the box without
first giving it a bios update? If it won't, then your pc will not post. There are a few work-
arounds(one of which may be required)

1. a Have a sandy bridge cpu already on hand, buy a cheap one, or borrow one.
b install sandy(with cooler) and flash bios. This may require you to install windows first.
c Once the bios is flashed, remove cooler and cpu, install Ivy, then cooler again.

2. Take your build to a local tech shop and have them do it for you. They may charge you.

3. ship your mobo to Gigabyte so they can flash the bios, then they'll ship it back to you.

I strongly suggest reading this(Whole article really, but especially the third paragragh,
between the two pics of the black and red case. Also read through the comment pages)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overclock-benchmark,3276-5.html

If you are dead set on Ivy, consider a B75, Q75, Q77 or H77 based mobo instead of H61.

Or, you can keep H61 and get a sandy bridge 2000 series i5.

rdc85

Honorable

I heard B75 is quite good for moderate use, but not owning them so cannot give any recommendation..

jtenorj

Distinguished
Any of these should be fine, so go with the least expensive board:
http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?sort=3a&products_id=57331

You still don't have an operating system, though.

I've seen suggested on another thread downloading a free Ubuntu Linux distro. The desk-
top is supposed to resemble Mac OS with a U.I. that is fast and easy to pick up and learn.
You can use WINE to run windows games.

Say, I don't recall you ever mentioning what you'd like to do with this computer. Depending
on your usage scenario, you may get by with a lesser cpu and integrated graphics. Or, you
might benefit from a stronger cpu and/or gpu.

So, what do you want to do with this computer? If gaming, what games do you want to
play? What is the native resolution of your display(if an lcd)? Do you want to run games
at the highest settings(aa included)? Do you want the fastest frame rate possible?

If we know how you'd like to use this PC, we can help you tweak it for the best
combination of price and performance in your budget.

ForgottenHawX

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

I'll probably be getting Windows 7 as my OS.

The computer will be used for gaming as I have a macbook pro for work already. Games will probably just be League of Legends, a few indie games and a shooter thrown in once in a while. The monitors a 24" LED with 1920x1080 res. I would like the games to run at the highest settings, but I don't mind playing on lower settings if the budget is too high. Frame rate will probably prioritise over highest settings, but again I don't really mind as long as it average.

jtenorj

Distinguished

ForgottenHawX

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Thanks for all the help! :)
Also one more question. Would i be better off buying all the parts at once and getting the store to put it together or buy each part seperately when on sale and build it myself?

rdc85

Honorable
First question, are u had comp right now? If no than buy right away. If yes than u can wait.
Second, How confident u are with your pc building? same as above.

For I'm build my rig over 3 month (+2 month for the monitor) just to get best price/availbility... (also saving some money :D)

edit: if u can afford 7850 try to aim for it, it one of best card for 1080p.....

ForgottenHawX

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

I have a HP Pavillion dv6 laptop right now but its about to die so i'm considering getting a desktop. For my skills in PC building... 0.