Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hardware Noob looking for high-end gaming rig help

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 1, 2012 1:34:19 AM

Hello everyone! First time poster here, so thank you in advance for your help. I'm looking to build a new high-end gaming rig and really need some help choosing components. Any help is highly appreciated! Here's my info.

Approximate Purchase Date: Before December 2012

Budget Range: $2500~$3500 overall, which might exclude monitors.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming first and foremost. Much further down the list are listening to music, watching TV/movies, surfing the net, modding, Word processing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes - planning on Windows 7, because I've heard 8 is not an improvement

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any trusted site is fine, but I used Newegg and Amazon for my last build.

Location: Utah, USA

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, NVIDIA GPU

Overclocking: Maybe?

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe SLI, if I decide on dual GPUs. Not sure what the pros/cons are.

Your Monitor Resolution: Not sure yet. Probably 1920x1080, x2

Additional Comments:

I'm an avid gamer, 30+ hours a week, including Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Diablo 3, Prototype 2, The Witcher 2... Looking forward to Borderlands 2. I play a lot of Japanese games, both simple visual novels and more intensive 3D. I also mod a bit for Skyrim, nothing too fancy. Finally, I play music and watch a lot of videos, mostly streaming but some Blu-ray/DVD as well.

The problem is I'm not a big hardware pro... My friend did most of the work on my last build. He moved away so I'm on my own this time. I'm not sure exactly what to look for in components, especially in terms of compatibility. My goal is to build a high-end gaming rig that will last for another four years without slowing down too much on new games, and despite intensive daily use. Not the very top-of-the-line, but up there.

I plan to use a dual-monitor setup. I'll continue using my relatively new Logitech G110 keyboard, which needs USB 2.0 capability, and my old MX518 mouse. I also use Turtle Beach Earforce Z6A headphones, if that matters for the sound card. I use my headphones pretty much 100% of the time. I'll need quite a few USB ports for my external hard drives, keyboard, mouse and headphones, plus iPod and iPad. I'm hoping to get a pair of 2TB internal hard drives so I'll have plenty of space for my dozens of games, plus mods and other applications.

I'm considering the GeForce GTX 680 for graphics, maybe even two if that will help them last longer. I'm also thinking an Intel i7 processor, though I don't know which one, and don't understand the difference between Ivy and Sandy Bridge. Maybe 16GB RAM? I don't know much about motherboards, cases or power supplies, so any help there would be great. I'm hoping to stick to a black color for the case, if possible.


And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:

A friend of mine built my current PC four years ago. Both of the two internal 500 GB hard drives are almost full (of games and applications, which I can't move to my numerous externals) and the GPU crashes pretty frequently. It likes to crash whenever I stream video from Youtube and the like, for some reason. The USB ports seem to be dying, as one time out of four when I start up the computer, my Logitech G110 keyboard won't work. The registry is also a bit messed up, after a few install/uninstall fiascos.

I could upgrade the components in my current machine, but I think I'd need to replace pretty much everything from the GPU to the motherboard to the RAM, so I'd rather just start from scratch and use my current PC as a secondary for surfing the web and streaming music. I'm still using Windows XP and would like to finally upgrade to 7. Price isn't a huge issue, as I've been saving up for this for years now, but I don't want to throw away money either.

Thank you!
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 1:38:28 AM

For what resolution you have the most you need to spend is $1000, i live in the UK and have a awesome PC for 1080p that runs BF3 on Ultra-High for £750, so around about $1000. I'll make you one.

CPU: i5 3570k $215

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: Radeon 7870 $260 rebates to $230 (might want to crossfire or get the 7950). Good enough for ultra BF3 with 50+ frames)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: Ga-z77-Ud3h $150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm $110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO550W $75 (not modular at all so might want a different one). (Also if you want to crossfire then you need more power but i think one gpu is enough).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: Coolmaster Elite 430 $47 after rebates $37

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: Corsair 2X4GB 1600mhz 1.5v $45

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner $18

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you want to throw in a SSD. You might want a better PSU too. I like the GPU and the make is up to you i have a sapphire 7850 which is excellent for the money and you can always crossfire.

Total= $680
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 1:49:02 AM

if you really want dual monitor, just get another monitor

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gcD4

if you are to do dual monitor, id suggest do work on one and the other for games. otherwise, it just looks weird
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 1:52:44 AM

You there?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 1:55:07 AM

yes im everywhere :lol: 
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 2:15:29 AM

spat55 said:
You there?


Yep I'm here, thanks for the recommendations! I really do have at least $2000 to spend and I'm hoping to make it good enough to run new games on high settings for at least a few years. My current GeForce GPU worked well for over 3 years so I was hoping to stick with that particular brand.

I was specifically considering these:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73930K - $570

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-3930K-Hexa-Core-Processo...

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - $500

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007KC1R3A/ref=n...

Are they not compatible or something? Also like I mentioned, 16MB RAM would be great, and a pair of 2TB internal drives. I don't know what motherboard will hold that CPU, but I'd preferably like one with USB 3.0.



@TheBigTroll: Yeah, I plan to buy two monitors. Not really sure which ones to go with, and I've had problems with stuck/dead pixels in the past which really gets on my nerves. I wonder if I can find a brick-and-mortar store where you can try the monitor before you buy it, or at least some place with a nice replacement plan for stuck/dead pixels?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 2:17:58 AM

TheBigTroll said:
yes im everywhere :lol: 


Changed your avatre, i hate when you build something then the guy goes, oh yes btw the fans i got are, the scythe gentle typhoon 1450rpm, expensive but 10/10 shifts loads of air and is very nearly silent. I also got a silent eagle 1000rpm but so slow does nothing really. But now i have three case fans one on front, one on back and one on side and now it's so cool in the case that nothing runs hot :)  even under heavy gaming and i have a stock cooler on a 3570k :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 2:20:11 AM

WelkinDust said:
Yep I'm here, thanks for the recommendations! I really do have at least $2000 to spend and I'm hoping to make it good enough to run new games on high settings for at least a few years. My current GeForce GPU worked well for over 3 years so I was hoping to stick with that particular brand.

I was specifically considering these:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73930K - $570

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-3930K-Hexa-Core-Processo...

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - $500

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007KC1R3A/ref=n...

Are they not compatible or something? Also like I mentioned, 16MB RAM would be great, and a pair of 2TB internal drives. I don't know what motherboard will hold that CPU, but I'd preferably like one with USB 3.0.



@TheBigTroll: Yeah, I plan to buy two monitors. Not really sure which ones to go with, and I've had problems with stuck/dead pixels in the past which really gets on my nerves. I wonder if I can find a brick-and-mortar store where you can try the monitor before you buy it, or at least some place with a nice replacement plan for stuck/dead pixels?



The i7 is bad for gaming, 3570k is more than enough for the next 3-4 years, the gpu is what you need, i would of got the gtx 680 but for the money? far to much. you can if you want swap the gpu out for that.

ALSO if you have the money get a SSD for your OS and some games, like two 2TB HDD and a 256GB SSD, they load and write much faster. If you want 16GB of memory get twosets of what i put on list.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 2:51:01 AM

Give me a sec. I'll whip up a BEASTLY PC..
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 2:58:46 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($75.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($181.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M3 Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer G235HAbd 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2682.80
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-31 23:01 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 3:02:36 AM

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
$340

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501


Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$240

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821


GPU: 2 EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video card
$940

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130769


SSD for main OS: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$190

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227792


Storage Hard drives: 2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM
$360

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792


Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
$200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
$110

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Power Supply: SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$210

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


CPU Heatsink: ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise CPU Cooler
$65

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


CPU Thermal Paste: ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4 4 gram (g) All-Around Thermal Compound
$10

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


OS: Windows 7 Home Premium OEM
$100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Monitor: 2 ASUS VE278Q Black 27" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor
$590

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Total Cost: $3,387.72
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 3:03:58 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-Tower-Gaming-CC-9... $118.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Case CC-9011012-WW

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO750W-Semi-Modular-80Plus-S... $111.71 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping | Price after rebate: $101.71
XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus 750 Watt Power Supply (Silver)

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-CrossFireX-DispayPort-Mo... $149.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI W/ HDMI,DVI,DispayPort Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard GA-Z77X-UD3H

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Quad-Core-Pro... $229.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-120mm-RR-212E... $32.32 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-Extreme-Masters-PC... $46.50 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Patriot Memory Intel Extreme Masters 8 GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit - PVI38G160C9K

http://www.amazon.com/Lite--Super-AllWrite-Layer-Drive/... $17.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive - Bulk - IHAS124-04 Version C (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Internal-D... $106.50 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-2-5-Inch-Solid-SD... $168.64 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-240G-G25

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-N670-... $409.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card N670 PE 2GD5/OC

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... $90.78 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

Total: $1,483.39 *includes shipping does but not include rebates


http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Ed... <----- review of that MSI card w/benchmarks
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 3:58:20 AM

Dude, I live in Utah.

I can help you put something together that is *amazing*.

But the thing I would say is a MUST HAVE. (But it will blow $900.00)

Get 3 Shimian Achieva QH270-Lite 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitors. I just bought two and instantly got rid of my two 1920x1200 28" monitors.

They are the exact same panel as the Apple Cinema Display 27". But, they are only $288.00 each. The Apple Cinema display sells for ~ $1000.00 each. These don't guarantee no dead pixels. (Just like any monitor manufacturer). One of mine was perfect, the other had 1 stuck pixel. (No big deal, at this resolution it is TINY). But you can pay ~ $40 more per monitor and get monitors that are guaranteed to have no dead pixels (they call it "perfect pixel")

It is SOOO sharp and SO vivid and true in the color you will NEVER settle for a regular monitor. LOVE IT.

They ship FAST out of Korea.. I ordered my 2nd one last Friday, it shipped Friday and arrived Monday.

I don't get stuff that fast from Korea.

Now. You will need a SERIOUS video card to drive that.

I bought a single GTX 660ti, however it's not enough to drive 3 monitors at 2560x1440 by itself.

These monitors require dual-link DVI. This is a special cable (it comes with the monitor) because that high of resolution require more bandwidth.

You can do SLI (put 2 video cards in your computer).

Gaming with 3 monitors in surround is pretty amazing.

I do NOT recommend an ATI-based card for this. (That's the brand). ATI only has 1 dual-link DVI port on their cards, the other is a single-link DVI port and will NOT work for these monitors. In addition you have to buy an expensive Active Displayport to DVI adapter to run a third monitor.

Enter the Kepler-based NVIDIA gpu's. They can run 4 monitors simultaneously.

You will need to get three QH270-Lite monitors (they only have DVI - $288 each)

Here are links to those monitors from who I consider is the best seller:

QH270-Lite:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QH270-Lite-Achieva-ShiMian-27-D...

QH270-IPSMS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QH270-IPSMS-Achieva-ShiMian-HDM...

I know everyone is afraid of Ebay and ordering from Korea, but trust me. These monitors are all the rage right now and one of the best purchases I have ever made, and I have been putting gaming computers together for 20 years. RUN, do not walk.. Get these monitors.. Yes, they are that good.

Now. For the rest of the system.

I noticed another user was spot-on on his recommendations with a few exceptions.

The CPU ... you start losing serious bang for your buck once you go beyond the I5-3570K. Save some money here.

The third monitor is going to cost you an extra $300.00, but.. you cannot really use dual monitors to game. With 3 monitors, you can do surround gaming. DO IT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Core i5-3570K - Best Gaming CPU for the money
Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$229.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Power Supply - SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$210.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$240.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$110.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video cards: 2 EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$940
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSD for main OS: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$190.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regular storage drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$110.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blu-Ray player/burner: LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$59.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$64.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU Thermal Paste: ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4 4 gram (g) All-Around Thermal Compound
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$10.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this over budget, many of these items can be tweaked to reduce the cost while maintaining performance.

Invest in the best now. It'll last much longer.


Total price including 3 GORGEOUS monitors: $3288.00







m
0
l
September 1, 2012 4:30:23 AM

dlhtox said:
Dude, I live in Utah.

I can help you put something together that is *amazing*.

But the thing I would say is a MUST HAVE. (But it will blow $900.00)

Get 3 Shimian Achieva QH270-Lite 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitors. I just bought two and instantly got rid of my two 1920x1200 28" monitors.

They are the exact same panel as the Apple Cinema Display 27". But, they are only $288.00 each. The Apple Cinema display sells for ~ $1000.00 each. These don't guarantee no dead pixels. (Just like any monitor manufacturer). One of mine was perfect, the other had 1 stuck pixel. (No big deal, at this resolution it is TINY). But you can pay ~ $40 more per monitor and get monitors that are guaranteed to have no dead pixels (they call it "perfect pixel")

It is SOOO sharp and SO vivid and true in the color you will NEVER settle for a regular monitor. LOVE IT.

They ship FAST out of Korea.. I ordered my 2nd one last Friday, it shipped Friday and arrived Monday.

I don't get stuff that fast from Korea.

Now. You will need a SERIOUS video card to drive that.

I bought a single GTX 660ti, however it's not enough to drive 3 monitors at 2560x1440 by itself.

These monitors require dual-link DVI. This is a special cable (it comes with the monitor) because that high of resolution require more bandwidth.

You can do SLI (put 2 video cards in your computer).

Gaming with 3 monitors in surround is pretty amazing.

I do NOT recommend an ATI-based card for this. (That's the brand). ATI only has 1 dual-link DVI port on their cards, the other is a single-link DVI port and will NOT work for these monitors. In addition you have to buy an expensive Active Displayport to DVI adapter to run a third monitor.

Enter the Kepler-based NVIDIA gpu's. They can run 4 monitors simultaneously.

You will need to get three QH270-Lite monitors (they only have DVI - $288 each)

Here are links to those monitors from who I consider is the best seller:

QH270-Lite:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QH270-Lite-Achieva-ShiMian-27-D...

QH270-IPSMS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QH270-IPSMS-Achieva-ShiMian-HDM...

I know everyone is afraid of Ebay and ordering from Korea, but trust me. These monitors are all the rage right now and one of the best purchases I have ever made, and I have been putting gaming computers together for 20 years. RUN, do not walk.. Get these monitors.. Yes, they are that good.

Now. For the rest of the system.

I noticed another user was spot-on on his recommendations with a few exceptions.

The CPU ... you start losing serious bang for your buck once you go beyond the I5-3570K. Save some money here.

The third monitor is going to cost you an extra $300.00, but.. you cannot really use dual monitors to game. With 3 monitors, you can do surround gaming. DO IT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Core i5-3570K - Best Gaming CPU for the money
Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$229.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Power Supply - SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$210.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motherboard - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$240.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$110.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video cards: 2 EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$940
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSD for main OS: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$190.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regular storage drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$110.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blu-Ray player/burner: LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$59.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS9900 NT 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$64.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU Thermal Paste: ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4 4 gram (g) All-Around Thermal Compound
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$10.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this over budget, many of these items can be tweaked to reduce the cost while maintaining performance.

Invest in the best now. It'll last much longer.


Total price including 3 GORGEOUS monitors: $3288.00


Dude, I'm not sure if Dual 680s can run the games he named 7680x1440... I know Shimians are good but I'd if they are waranteed. Idk let the OP decide there.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 5:08:53 AM

I was gonna recommend the Yamakasi monitors to him but wasnt sure how he felt about ordering on ebay. I use a Yamakasi Q271 2560x1440 27 inch and its just incredible.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 6:08:51 AM

Here's my killer build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gdEP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gdEP/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gdEP/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($286.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 WS ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($329.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB 3.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Gun Metal) ATX Full Tower Case ($144.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-04 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.20 @ Amazon)
Total: $2616.08
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Monitor = Samsung MD230X-3 : $1555
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SUB Total: $4171.08
-
You wouldn't have to build a new PC for at least four years with this build, and still probably be able to play the latest games

You can save by trimming memory and changing the video cards, but the intention is to use 32GB of RAM as a RAMDisk cache

-------UPDATE----

Don't forget, you can Overclock the heck out of this build (CPU, Memory AND GPU's) if you wanted to, and there's plenty of room in the case for a serious water system on all of that if need be.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 6:47:45 AM

WelkinDust said:
Yep I'm here, thanks for the recommendations! I really do have at least $2000 to spend and I'm hoping to make it good enough to run new games on high settings for at least a few years. My current GeForce GPU worked well for over 3 years so I was hoping to stick with that particular brand.

I was specifically considering these:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73930K - $570

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-3930K-Hexa-Core-Processo...

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - $500

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007KC1R3A/ref=n...

Are they not compatible or something? Also like I mentioned, 16MB RAM would be great, and a pair of 2TB internal drives. I don't know what motherboard will hold that CPU, but I'd preferably like one with USB 3.0.



@TheBigTroll: Yeah, I plan to buy two monitors. Not really sure which ones to go with, and I've had problems with stuck/dead pixels in the past which really gets on my nerves. I wonder if I can find a brick-and-mortar store where you can try the monitor before you buy it, or at least some place with a nice replacement plan for stuck/dead pixels?



dont let these trolls steer you away from the 3930k .. its a good general purpose processor.. if your willing to spend that kind of money its worth it.. especially if your doing any kind of video editing.. and while most would say the i5 is better at gaming the difference is minimal and your also getting pci 3.0 with out a limit so 16x2 + 8x .. or what not... personally i plan to do a 3930k build my self.. just do a little research toms did a bench mark run on the 3930k and you will get your performance perspective there.. in all reality though .. the gpu / motherboard are generally more important... so what i would sugjest would be get 2 gtx 670's or 680s for sli and pair it with a 1000 watt power supply and a mother board with 2 16x pci 3.0 slots for sli and then possibly go for either 64 GB of ram for a RAM DISK and a ssd drive for boot drive/programs you use most frequently .. also something else to consider the latest drivers for trim support raid 0 ssd drives where as before you could not use trim.. if your considering a ssd drive look at ocz vertex 4 128 and get 2 of them for raid 0 and put your most frequenly used games on it.. and keep your 500 GB drives for storage.. or upgrade and buy a 2 or 3 tb drive for storage.. you could do it on that budget .. its just up to you.. it would be a beastly machine .. also look into getting a corsair h100

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 1:37:12 PM

lol x79 is for work or 3-4way SLI. other than that its worthless over a i5 3570k

look at my build and it should satisfy your needs. if multi-monitor is your thing, get 7970s
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 3:48:53 PM

goodguy713 said:
dont let these trolls steer you away from the 3930k .. its a good general purpose processor.. if your willing to spend that kind of money its worth it.. especially if your doing any kind of video editing.. and while most would say the i5 is better at gaming the difference is minimal and your also getting pci 3.0 with out a limit so 16x2 + 8x .. or what not... personally i plan to do a 3930k build my self.. just do a little research toms did a bench mark run on the 3930k and you will get your performance perspective there.. in all reality though .. the gpu / motherboard are generally more important... so what i would sugjest would be get 2 gtx 670's or 680s for sli and pair it with a 1000 watt power supply and a mother board with 2 16x pci 3.0 slots for sli and then possibly go for either 64 GB of ram for a RAM DISK and a ssd drive for boot drive/programs you use most frequently .. also something else to consider the latest drivers for trim support raid 0 ssd drives where as before you could not use trim.. if your considering a ssd drive look at ocz vertex 4 128 and get 2 of them for raid 0 and put your most frequenly used games on it.. and keep your 500 GB drives for storage.. or upgrade and buy a 2 or 3 tb drive for storage.. you could do it on that budget .. its just up to you.. it would be a beastly machine .. also look into getting a corsair h100
#1.You should learn how to conduct yourself before you call other members trolls and insult them that's out of line#2 Get outta here come'on really H-100 you must be kidding that fisher price watercooling hunk of junk sounds like a dam swamp cooler on high speed fan on lowest it's doesn't cool any better than the evo if that's not bad enough already even gets worse a NH-D14,THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW,will preform better, quieter, just as good or within margin of error if the H-100 fan speed on high then when you take price into account replacing those loud stock fans by that time you could buy a rasa kit or just stick with NH-D14,THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW, saves you a good amount of coin bottom line if you want to watercool do it the right way or don't do it at all period ;) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 3:53:42 PM

bigcyco1 said:
#1.You should learn how to conduct yourself before you call other members trolls and insult them that's out of line#2 Get outta here come'on really H-100 you must be out your mind that fisher price watercooling hunk of junk sounds like a dam swamp cooler on high speed fan on lowest it's doesn't cool any better than the evo if that's not bad enough already even gets worse a NH-D14,THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW,will preform better, quieter, just as good or within margin of error if the H-100 fan speed on high then when you take price into account replacing those loud stock fans by that time you could buy a rasa kit or just stick with NH-D14,THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW, saves you a good amount of coin bottom line if you want to watercool do it the right way or don't do it at all period ;) 


:o  :lol:  smacked
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:48:31 PM

2725984,19,1121783 said:
#1.You should learn how to conduct yourself before you call other members trolls and insult them that's out of line#2 Get outta here come'on really H-100 you must be kidding that fisher price watercooling hunk of junk sounds like a dam swamp cooler on high speed fan on lowest it's doesn't cool any better than the evo if that's not bad enough already even gets worse a NH-D14,THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW,will preform better, quieter, just as good or within margin of error if the H-100 fan speed on high then when you take price into account replacing those loud stock fans by that time you could buy a rasa kit or just stick with NH-D14,THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW, saves you a good amount of coin bottom line if you want to watercool do it the right way or don't do it at all period ;) [/quotemsg

haha theres been worse said .. how ever i was only giving him my personal thoughts... I personally dont like to flock where the sheeple go .. so line up on the band wagon like a good sheeple listen to what the man says.. and FYI i do not like Fan blocks because they tend to get in the way of ram slots.. personal preference.. and a real water block set up is almost double what an h100 costs .. guy sounded like he had 2000 to 3000 limit .. so its a reasonable build...
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 10:48:09 PM

the rasa kits are a good start if you want to watercool. you can add more rads and blocks for the GPU in the future if you would like. then again you will need a WC case like the switch 810 to add more rads
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2012 10:54:55 PM

Yeah i was not even suggesting him to watercool really i was just proving my point if he did want to the H-100 was the worse way to do it if he is nine or ten years old and is rich fine otherwise big boys don't play with fisher price water cooling lol
m
0
l
!