Sapphire 7970 Toxic News!!!!!!!

OMG, it's finally here!!!

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4828/sapphire_radeon_hd_7970_ghz_edition_toxic_6gb_video_card_review/index.html

and 1200mhz core and 6400mhz memory for a manufacturer's overclock, maxed out at 64C on load (according to TT's testing conditions anyway). boy that's amazing.

all in all a beautiful card, wish it came in a 3GB version as well, would love to get one to crossfire with my dual-x card, but then the 6GB of vram would be wasted (not saying that I'd have a use for 6gb of vram anyway). I want 3GB damn it... sapphire, y u try to make us pay more??? :lol:

Solution
Next to an Asus 23" 1080p

Desk4K_689.jpg

Battlefield%203%20in%204K.jpg

Nice!!

nice! need to sign up for that :D

and Mods, please make this a discussion thread if at all possible... I accidentally made it a question...

yes I believe they did -_-... worse, they didn't even run a high res benchmark... what I'd really like to see is a 6-monitor benchmark with a pair of these babies, that'll really give us an opportunity to see the 6GB of memory shine :bounce: :bounce:

actually, that just gave me a thought... perhaps the unusually low temps were due to them not stressing the card to max? :lol:

Most likely the case. The 12.1 and 12.2 drivers have tons of problems with the 7000 series cards. 12.3 fixed many of them and 12.7 seems to be the best of the bunch now.

RussK1

Splendid

Their way of making the 680 look better... I'm sick of review sites that do that crap.

well, it was still destroying the 680 so no seriously complaints here... but I agree. a truly extreme resolution benchmark (triple 1600p or something) will show the 680 running out of memory and just crashing... but it's exactly the type of setting where these toxic cards will shine...

RussK1

Splendid

Only 35k for 4k! :eek:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/eizo-showcasing-its-35000-4k-lcd-monitor-at-nab-2012-11-04-2012/

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/duravision/fdh3601/

Monitor for Air Traffic Control and Geophysical Services

Unboxing:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/5/25/eizo-4k-display-unboxing.aspx

damn, I don't think that will drop to affordable range within the time I'll be using my 7970 :na:

and 35k? yes, I stand by my "pair of kidneys" analogy :p

shame we can only sell one :pfff:

jk... would never consider it lol... maybe if someone asked me to donate to save a kid from some horrible disease, but that's a different story

anyway, how's intel planning to push us into the 4K era by 2014 with prices so high?

and thanks for all the info RussK

Good question. It was only a few years ago that 65 inch plasma TVs were 20 grand though, now they're much cheaper. I highly doubt that they'll hit mass market by 2014 but they might hit general availability. I predict mass market by 2016

I think you're right... and it'll be mainly due to those extra 3GB of VRAM that the VAST MAJORITY of us don't need... why can't they make a 3GB model too??? grrrr

size and pixel density are two different things though... those 65 inch+ TVs of today still only pack 1980x1080 pixels.

but then again, Dell's 1600p monitor only cost about $1k... there really shouldn't be a 34k gap between 2.5kx1.6k and 4kx2k pixels... I can see a 4k monitor for $4-5k in 2014 easily

RussK1

Splendid

What about Apples retina display?

@BigMack, you spent $600 importing in your second lightning as I recall? I guess a better 7970 is a bit unexpected.

@RussK I have no idea about apple retina display pricing, though they actually haven't made a stand-alone monitor that fits their "retina" standards. on top of that, I hear apple displays tend to have issues when hooked up to non-apple products (figures)

I wasn't trying to draw a perfect analogue between the two, just pointing out that the newest and best products always have the highest price tag. The products are in short supply so they sell them for as much as they possibly can until manufacturing picks up and all the early adopters are satisfied.