Help - Camera Selection: Long Zoom, low light

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
September 15, 2005 11:44:13 AM

Hi,

I need a new Digital PS for my wife since her current one won't do the job.

She is going to be shooting my daughter at her volleyball games indoors. So,
here is what I think I need:

1. Long Telephoto (10-12x)
2. Very good low light performance
3. Very good sports performance
4. Very easy to use
5. Budget: Under $500 (I hope)

I've been looking at Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and others but I'm not
knowledgeable about cameras and the specs are confusing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff.no.spam.Monasch@hp.no.spam.com
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:44:14 AM

Before I went to the Digital Rebel, I used a Canon Pro90 IS for sports
shots like that. I believe its successor is the Powershot S1 IS.

Paul B.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:22:10 PM

In article <43295e8f@usenet01.boi.hp.com>,
"Jeff M" <jeff.no.spam.monasch@hp.no.spam.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a new Digital PS for my wife since her current one won't do the job.
>
> She is going to be shooting my daughter at her volleyball games indoors. So,
> here is what I think I need:
>
> 1. Long Telephoto (10-12x)
> 2. Very good low light performance
> 3. Very good sports performance
> 4. Very easy to use
> 5. Budget: Under $500 (I hope)
>
> I've been looking at Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and others but I'm not
> knowledgeable about cameras and the specs are confusing.

Panasonic is probably your best option, but no camera is going to yield
decent quality photos with a long zoom at a reasonably fast shutter
speed without a fairly powerful flash, so figure an external flash and a
tripod into your question too.
September 15, 2005 4:40:11 PM

Jeff M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a new Digital PS for my wife since her current one won't do the job.
>
> She is going to be shooting my daughter at her volleyball games indoors. So,
> here is what I think I need:
>
> 1. Long Telephoto (10-12x)
> 2. Very good low light performance
> 3. Very good sports performance
> 4. Very easy to use
> 5. Budget: Under $500 (I hope)
>
> I've been looking at Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and others but I'm not
> knowledgeable about cameras and the specs are confusing.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Jeff.no.spam.Monasch@hp.no.spam.com

I have the Panasonic FZ-15. (Later but more expensive models are FZ-20
and FZ-5)
I think it will fill the bill for you.
Leica 12X IMAGE STABILIZED Zoom lens (compensates for camera shake)
Even at 12x zoom (432 mm equivalent) the aperture is f=2.8!!!
That's a lot of light gathering power and almost unheard of in 35 mm
film camera or even a DSLR.
Lag time between shots is very short.
Another excellent candidate is the Canon S2IS for $500
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 8:28:48 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:40:11 -0700, Bob Williams wrote:

>> here is what I think I need:
>>
>> 2. Very good low light performance
>> 3. Very good sports performance
>
> I have the Panasonic FZ-15. (Later but more expensive models
> are FZ-20 and FZ-5)
> I think it will fill the bill for you.
> Leica 12X IMAGE STABILIZED Zoom lens (compensates for
> camera shake)
> Even at 12x zoom (432 mm equivalent) the aperture is f=2.8!!!

While IS can often help when light levels are low, it's the worst
solution for sports photography, since it works by allowing longer
shutter speeds. It may reduce camera shake, but it will increase
blur due to subject movement. If the light level is sufficient to
allow relatively fast shutter speeds, the FZ-15 might be a good
solution. If not, an inexpensive used DSLR with a sensor capable of
low noise/high ISO, and fitted with a similarly inexpensive fixed
length lens faster than f/2.8 might be a better solution.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 9:22:07 PM

In article <43295e8f@usenet01.boi.hp.com>, Jeff M
<jeff.no.spam.monasch@hp.no.spam.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a new Digital PS for my wife since her current one won't do the job.
>
> She is going to be shooting my daughter at her volleyball games indoors. So,
> here is what I think I need:
>
> 1. Long Telephoto (10-12x)
> 2. Very good low light performance
> 3. Very good sports performance
> 4. Very easy to use
> 5. Budget: Under $500 (I hope)
>
> I've been looking at Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and others but I'm not
> knowledgeable about cameras and the specs are confusing.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

I am surprized you need that much telephoto. I shoot tons of indoor
volleyball and I'm currently using a Canon 300D Rebel with a Mk I 50mm
F1.8 lens (about 70mm as a 35mm equiv). I shoot ISO 800 or 1600, and
use Noise Ninja software to clean up the ISO noise. I shoot a lot from
the stands, and suprizingly, 50mm is a pretty deep lens.

See the results at http://www.clearlakevolleyball.com

Before the Rebel, I used an Olympus C2020. Here's a tutorial I wrote
back then for shooting volleyball with a point and shoot camera:

http://www.pearlandjrs.com/prep/phototutor.htm
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:02:46 PM

Steve Cutchen wrote:

> In article <43295e8f@usenet01.boi.hp.com>, Jeff M
> <jeff.no.spam.monasch@hp.no.spam.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need a new Digital PS for my wife since her current one won't do the
>> job.
>>
>> She is going to be shooting my daughter at her volleyball games indoors.
>> So, here is what I think I need:
>>
>> 1. Long Telephoto (10-12x)
>> 2. Very good low light performance
>> 3. Very good sports performance
>> 4. Very easy to use
>> 5. Budget: Under $500 (I hope)
>>
>> I've been looking at Olympus, Panasonic, Canon and others but I'm not
>> knowledgeable about cameras and the specs are confusing.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> I am surprized you need that much telephoto. I shoot tons of indoor
> volleyball and I'm currently using a Canon 300D Rebel with a Mk I 50mm
> F1.8 lens (about 70mm as a 35mm equiv). I shoot ISO 800 or 1600, and
> use Noise Ninja software to clean up the ISO noise. I shoot a lot from
> the stands, and suprizingly, 50mm is a pretty deep lens.
>
> See the results at http://www.clearlakevolleyball.com
>
> Before the Rebel, I used an Olympus C2020. Here's a tutorial I wrote
> back then for shooting volleyball with a point and shoot camera:
>
> http://www.pearlandjrs.com/prep/phototutor.htm

Hmmmmm, very good result.
I am not a sports photographer but I have both the rebel and the 50mm F1.8
and sometimes I try some basketball photos for friends
Thanks for the tip.

--
al-Farrob
http://www.al-farrob.com - new photos every week