Sign in with
Your question

Dual Power Supply Case

Last response: in Components
January 15, 2013 4:21:27 PM

Hi all,
I'm looking for a case to support dual power supplies for a very specific application. Google isn't really giving me much luck. Any suggestions? The smaller the case, the better for this application. I'm not really worried about heat removal; but I suspect most (all) cases that support dual P/S are large towers.
If purchasing one ready off-the-shelf isn't practical, would it be difficult to drill a place tomount a second P/S in a conventional case?
Max

More about : dual power supply case

a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2013 4:38:44 PM

It's hard to find now, but I'm fairly sure the Cooler Master ATCS 840 supported dual power supplies.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2013 4:39:44 PM

Hi :) 

As you guessed, most are Server Towers...

I have to ask....why ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2013 4:43:38 PM

MaxMallan said:
Hi all,
I'm looking for a case to support dual power supplies for a very specific application. Google isn't really giving me much luck. Any suggestions? The smaller the case, the better for this application. I'm not really worried about heat removal; but I suspect most (all) cases that support dual P/S are large towers.
If purchasing one ready off-the-shelf isn't practical, would it be difficult to drill a place tomount a second P/S in a conventional case?
Max

If you are in the USA, here is one (AZZA Genesis 9000): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
January 15, 2013 5:24:21 PM

Thanks all for the quick replies. Brett: the application is a music server; I'm looking to isolate the power noisy devices (fans, CDROM drive, maybe the HDD/SSD) from the motherboard and associated devices for audio reproduction quality. Of course this would all be ridiculous if I plugged both PSUs into the same wall outlet, so this is one small piece in a larger jigsaw puzzle.

Since all this computer will have is two power supplies, a motherboard/CPU with onboard ethernet, a soundcard, and a SSD/HDD, what do you all think of taking a drill to a smaller case and creating my own place to mount the second PSU. Can I get enough space where you'd typically expect your VGA cards? I see the typical PS is 6"x6"x3.5" seems pretty tight...
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:34:32 PM

I wrote before I don't anticipate heat issues with this application (I have heard of similar single PSU applications optimized to run without any fans at all, including the CPU fan), but now I'm wondering... will having two PSUs crammed in a small case generate too much heat, even if operating at a fraction of their capacity?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2013 5:35:08 PM

I am not understanding how having two PSU in your computer will help with Audio reproduction quality...
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:35:26 PM

SliverStone TJ07 or TJ09. The new Corsair 900D which is coming out soon.
m
l
January 15, 2013 5:44:44 PM

Derza10 said:
I am not understanding how having two PSU in your computer will help with Audio reproduction quality...

Clean power is critical to audio reproduction. Most high end systems have power conditioners, some costing thousands of dollars just for an AC power conditioner - some people even have their homes rewired to better isolate their audio system from everything else in the home. The cleaner the power to the system the less jitter you'll have in the digital signal from your soundcard. Fans, CDROM drives, and HDDs create back emf and make the power dirty, so ideally I'd want those plugged into a cheap PSU on one circuit in the house, and the important bits (mobo, cpu, soundcard) powered from a high-quality, low ripple psu plugged into the power conditioner.

Of course, there are ways to do this without fans and CDROM drives at all (more than one way to skin a cat), but I think this is the avenue I want to pursue.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 15, 2013 5:58:23 PM

Lian Li have some I think.
m
l
January 15, 2013 10:20:36 PM

Thanks all for the links and suggestions! I think what I'm going to do is go single power supply, fanless CPU cooler, fanless PSU, fanless case, and solder in a switch between the PSU and CDROM drive to turn it off when not ripping music. Should work beautifully.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2013 5:21:52 AM

MaxMallan said:
Thanks all for the links and suggestions! I think what I'm going to do is go single power supply, fanless CPU cooler, fanless PSU, fanless case, and solder in a switch between the PSU and CDROM drive to turn it off when not ripping music. Should work beautifully.

don't do that, if they are not shut down properly windows will be confused, may be corrupted in subtle ways, cdrom may break.

Get an external cdrom/dvddrive, connect via usb, that protocol is designed to be removed, it'll be safer and they are not expensive and are just as quick as internals.
m
l
!