Sign in with
Your question

Amd display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recover

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2012 10:52:48 PM

Heeellllo forum people. I had been playing Skyrim recently with no problems at all. Everything was running good. But then all of a sudden, the game froze up, and then turned to a black screen. When the screen came back on, there were artifacts all over my computer, boxes disfiguring the color on my desktop. I freaked out cause I thought the GPU broke (which I really hope isn't the case). I unplugged my computer and put it by a fan so everything can cool down. I plugged it back in, started it up and the my screen was still infected my the artifacts. I searched the problem online and I went for a full reinstall of Windows 7 on my computer again since it didn't really have anything on there. I finished setup and began to download all of my drivers. But when I downloaded the latest AMD drivers for my GPU and rebooted, the artifacts came back onto the screen again! I uninstalled all AMD and ATI drivers and removed all files. I used disk sweeper in safe mode to remove any remaining AMD/ATI files. I really hope it isn't anything too serious like bad motherboard or bad graphics card. PLEASE HELP I'M SO FRUSTRATED.
Specs:
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3SH mobo
Intel Core i5 3750K 3.4 ghz
Ultra LSP 750w
Corsair Ballistix Sport 8gb (2 x 4gb)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
XFX Radeon HD 6870
July 14, 2012 4:07:34 AM

Is everything all at stock clocks? If not I would play around with the drivers, Upgrade drivers or downgrade. If that don't work, could be a failing card or PSU is some cases, Check the temps of the card, Check the Power leads to the card and make sure they are plugged in correctly. Try a different PSU if you can, if all else fails, I would RMA the card after that point.
m
l
Related resources
!