Your question

Video Encoding/Transcoding Only

Tags:
  • Build
  • Video Encoding
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 1, 2012 9:19:10 AM

Hi. I am looking to build a machine for the purposes of video encoding only. I would like to be able to take Blu-rays that I own, rip them and then transcode them into 4-6GB files. I would like to do this as fast as possible. Also, I'd like to take my collections of TV Shows on DVD and rip and transcode those as well.

I definitely want a Core i7 and I've seen some people talk about QuicSync technology? It seems interesting and it seems to really speed up the encodes which for most of my collection, especially the DVDs would be wonderful. Would you all kindly help me put together a system? I am not sure where the budget should really be set. I can further decide on that once I get some ideas about the best build and software to use for this

thanks

More about : video encoding transcoding

September 1, 2012 9:46:31 AM

QuickSync is fast, but its results in terms of quality are sometimes unacceptable. Same concerns transcoding with CUDA on GeForce cards.

Please read this Anantech article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

By the way 6GB for 1080p 2 hour long file is not enough.
m
l
September 1, 2012 1:50:54 PM

you could use something like a gtx660ti or gtx670 to do some encoding but it would be slightly slower than quicksync with hd4000 graphics
m
l
September 1, 2012 6:01:58 PM

Bejusek said:
QuickSync is fast, but its results in terms of quality are sometimes unacceptable. Same concerns transcoding with CUDA on GeForce cards.

Please read this Anantech article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

By the way 6GB for 1080p 2 hour long file is not enough.

I was thinking 4-6GB for 720p. For those films that I want to do 1080p, I would be fine with larger file sizes.

Is there a good MOBO combo with the 3770k that will allow me to encode fast? I've read people being able to encode TV shows in 2-3 minutes! Right now that takes me at least 30-35mins for a 40 min show. I'll get 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 Month

Budget Range:
I just want a fast encoding machine. It doesn't have to be top of the line and the fastest out there, but something that is reasonable priced and gets the job done in a similar fashion to something that is top of the line

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Tanscoding Blu-ray to 720p 4-6GB MKVs for my HTPC

Are you buying a monitor:
No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, CPU heat sync, MOBO, Ram, SSD, Case, PSU, Blu-ray reader. I want the best ripping drive possible! Any ideas on that?

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, tiger direct

Parts Preferences: by brand or type
(e.g.: Intel CPU. Otherwise, I am not too picky

Overclocking: Maybe?

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure what this is?

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I need a faster PC for encoding. It takes up wayyyy too much of my time right now.
m
l
!