Sign in with
Your question

Intel Vs AMD

Last response: in CPUs
January 15, 2013 7:19:08 PM

What do you think is better Intel or AMD.

More about : intel amd

a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 7:20:27 PM

It's pretty much fact that Intel builds the better performing CPU. But if you need better integrated graphics, AMD is the way to go. Plus AMD makes decent budget CPUs. But really, if you have the cash, you should always go Intel.. For now. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 7:55:28 PM

Don't start a war here mate.

Intel represents the best performance/quality, while AMD represents good value. Going in detail wouldn't make much sense, it would only lead to more fanboy discussion.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2013 8:03:01 PM

I went along with AMD for my first build, but do want to build a Intel one soon. The best I can say is, both are really good.
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:05:55 PM

MyNameIsTony said:
What do you think is better Intel or AMD.

intel better for gaming currently and amd is better for programming, editing and workshop. however amd is actually ahead of its time. if games used more then 4 cores on average amd would beat intel and would be doing it all at a cheaper price. the fx8350 is an amazing gaming and editing cpu. i like amd much more
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:13:17 PM

Hi :) 

Amd has the best graphics card in the world.... at the moment... 7990 ....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:24:00 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Amd has the best graphics card in the world.... at the moment... 7990 ....

Last I heard the nvidia 690 was a better experience overall :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:25:39 PM

Here goes..
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:26:13 PM

Derza10 said:
Last I heard the nvidia 690 was a better experience overall :) 

actually the 7990 is currently the best amd has nvidia beat at this point : )
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 15, 2013 8:27:38 PM

AMD for life.

(Intel for the wife)

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:27:50 PM

diablo34life said:

Experience and performance isn't the same thing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:28:15 PM

diablo34life said:

Source?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:29:40 PM

Derza10 said:
Source?

Me ?

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:30:43 PM

Derza10 said:
Source?

GTX 680 is slower than Radeon 7970 GHz ed.

The new 7990 has two Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. so it beats the GTX 690.

Again, experience and performance isn't the same thing.
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:32:03 PM

Hi amd does have intel beat at this point with the 7990. all around experience the 7990 wins as well. nvidia has had driver issues. as well the warrany service is better for the 7990 then the gtx 690. amd is 1st place for gpu
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:32:27 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
GTX 680 is slower than Radeon 7970 GHz ed.

The new 7990 has two Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. so it beats the GTX 690.

Again, experience and performance isn't the same thing.

It might seem logical to think about it that way... But that is not how it really works, the clock rates on the cards are not the same.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:35:24 PM

Derza10 said:
It might seem logical to think about it that way... But that is not how it really works, the clock rates on the cards are not the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb6X-2qWQFI

It got shown at CES.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:36:11 PM

LOL. Ask a loaded question....and duck for cover....the bullets will fly.

I don't think you can say either brand is "better" as an overall statement on anything. It depends on the project. The project dictates budget, performance and purpose. You pick the best solution for the project based on criteria.

It would be like asking "What is the best car?" Ferrari makes them fast, Kia gets better gas mileage, Toyotas are built to last....LOL. If you want to haul 40 kids to school, you need a school bus - as none of the cars would fit the project.

So based on criteria, both processors have their strengths and weaknesses...you have to select the one that best fits your project.
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:36:23 PM

Derza10 said:

hi the amd 7990 does pass the gtx 690 is benchmarks. so the 7990 is the winner
regards yojimbo
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2013 8:38:45 PM

And from what we saw over the previous 18 pages, if we were spending $1000 on a graphics card, this(GTX 690) would be the one to buy.

Taken from this site.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devi...

If you have any more recent reviews I would like to see them. I really don't care what card really is better, its all situational and preferences. I just like to have the knowledge :) 
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:39:22 PM

Very loaded question. Depends on budget and needs. Generally speaking if you're on a budget AMD will get you the better deal. If you're going for CPU level graphics, AMD's APUs typically are a better bet there as well. If you want absolute performance and can/want to pay some more, you can go the Intel route. Keep in mind the entire ecosystem you have to work with as well. Typically, in recent times, you can stick with AMD across a few board generations with a more logical naming sequence. AMD boards also typically cost less than the Intel equivalent. On the other hand, Intel's changes in socket type with almost each new CPU generation allows them to update a lot of other features on their boards at the same time (adding Thunderbolt, getting the new SATA controllers faster, updating the PCI standard sooner, etc.). So while most new Intel CPUs in recent history have come with new socket types, they have taken the opportunity to add little extras on the boards too.

If you're asking about a potential build, a little context, like use and budget, would be helpful. If you're only asking about personal preference, I think AMD is the better bet for the uses of probably more than 75% of PC users (though sales numbers would clearly suggest differently).
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:40:29 PM

amd performance = x
intel performance = 1.25x

amd price = x
intell price 1.6x
(in short terms you are paying about 60% more with intel for that 25% improvement (although i think these numbers only count for games with the "cheap" line of precessors £40-120))
but since amd cpu's only go so far if you want a better cpu than the best they have out currently then go for intel.

OBVIOUSLY there are other factors to take into account such as heat, power consumption, weather its best for gaming or office work or even what socket type you have supported on your motherboard. (something to take into consideration is that amd cpu's tent to get very hot, yet some of the heatsinks that intell pass of are just terrible so in either case be sure to go aftermarket.)
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 115 å Intel
a c 118 À AMD
January 15, 2013 8:42:04 PM

I prefer Intel at the moment. Overall better performance, but also a little more expensive. The difference in price is reasonable for the performance you are getting. Additionally, Intel's CPUs uses less electricity than AMD's. For example, when running at full load a FX-8350 consumes around 80w more power than an i7-3770k.

m
l
January 16, 2013 12:25:51 AM

samraptor said:
amd performance = x
intel performance = 1.25x

amd price = x
intell price 1.6x
(in short terms you are paying about 60% more with intel for that 25% improvement (although i think these numbers only count for games with the "cheap" line of precessors £40-120))
but since amd cpu's only go so far if you want a better cpu than the best they have out currently then go for intel.

OBVIOUSLY there are other factors to take into account such as heat, power consumption, weather its best for gaming or office work or even what socket type you have supported on your motherboard. (something to take into consideration is that amd cpu's tent to get very hot, yet some of the heatsinks that intell pass of are just terrible so in either case be sure to go aftermarket.)

wrong amd is better in everyway for this consumer. you can play any game with a fx vishera cpu. and ivy bridge actually runs hotter then amd
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 1:41:10 AM

7990>690 thats that

8350 is the fastest gaming cpu of your going to stream, other than that it matches the i5 3570 for $200

so yeah AMD is all value
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 16, 2013 2:57:19 AM

Thread title: Intel vs. AMD

Thread title according to others: AMD vs. Nvidia
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:59:39 AM

amuffin said:
Thread title: Intel vs. AMD

Thread title according to others: AMD vs. Nvidia

m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 16, 2013 3:10:27 AM

ronintexas said:
LOL. Ask a loaded question....and duck for cover....the bullets will fly.

I don't think you can say either brand is "better" as an overall statement on anything. It depends on the project. The project dictates budget, performance and purpose. You pick the best solution for the project based on criteria.

It would be like asking "What is the best car?" Ferrari makes them fast, Kia gets better gas mileage, Toyotas are built to last....LOL. If you want to haul 40 kids to school, you need a school bus - as none of the cars would fit the project.

So based on criteria, both processors have their strengths and weaknesses...you have to select the one that best fits your project.

This.

Such a question will never result in an actual answer, and quite promptly the thread will devolve into a flame war, with little substance or meaning behind it.
After all, we got people duking out whether the 7990 or 690 is better, yet none of them have brought a review or comparison up yet.
This particular comparison concluded that there is no answer.

All depends on your usage, then you can decide which one is better for your situation.
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:15:37 AM

manofchalk said:
This.

Such a question will never result in an actual answer, and quite promptly the thread will devolve into a flame war, with little substance or meaning behind it.
After all, we got people duking out whether the 7990 or 690 is better, yet none of them have brought a review or comparison up yet.
This particular comparison concluded that there is no answer.

All depends on your usage, then you can decide which one is better for your situation.

intel fan boy
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 16, 2013 3:17:50 AM

How?
I expressed no bias toward either company.
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:20:45 AM

manofchalk said:
How?
I expressed no bias toward either company.

yes you did you want a link to how the 7990 is greater then the gtx 690
shows ur intel side
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:28:01 AM

Lets say intel!
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 16, 2013 3:28:39 AM

The 690 is Nvidia, in no way connected to Intel.
And I provided a link showing that the 7990 is the more powerful card, but its a massive power hog and takes up triple slots.

See, weighing up the pro's and con's of a solution to decide which is better for you.
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:33:17 AM

Back to the question: i THink intel is better, my opinion
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:34:06 AM

manofchalk said:
The 690 is Nvidia, in no way connected to Intel.
And I provided a link showing that the 7990 is the more powerful card, but its a massive power hog and takes up triple slots.

See, weighing up the pro's and con's of a solution to decide which is better for you.

nvidia is deffintley connected to intel. thats why the gtx series and drivers specialize for intel builds,
its not about whats better for you, its about whats better, the 7990 is.
and for power consumption the 7990 isnt that much more then he 690.
even if you overclock the 690 it will be hard to surpass the 7990 at stock and the power usage will go up alot for the 690
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 16, 2013 3:44:55 AM

No, Intel and Nvidia are separate companies. There is no collaboration between them, they are even competitors in some points of the market.

200W is a fair bit more power I think, it draw about a 1/3 more power under load.
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:58:02 AM

manofchalk said:
No, Intel and Nvidia are separate companies. There is no collaboration between them, they are even competitors in some points of the market.

200W is a fair bit more power I think, it draw about a 1/3 more power under load.

intel is with nvidia my friend. they cut deals with each other and profit money together. nvidia does not cut any deals with amd. you should look into it because nvidia is deffintley biased towards intel.
as for the power consumption the 7990 is alot higher under load, but its also way stronger and performs muchbetter,
but when it comes to idle they boh generate around 7 watts of power which is nothing... so for the power consumption i wouldnt worry about it at all youll only be gaming for probably an average of 3 hours a day... its not like your going to be running 500 watts 24/7
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 16, 2013 5:11:48 AM

diablo34life said:
intel is with nvidia my friend. they cut deals with each other and profit money together. nvidia does not cut any deals with amd. you should look into it because nvidia is deffintley biased towards intel.
as for the power consumption the 7990 is alot higher under load, but its also way stronger and performs muchbetter,
but when it comes to idle they boh generate around 7 watts of power which is nothing... so for the power consumption i wouldnt worry about it at all youll only be gaming for probably an average of 3 hours a day... its not like your going to be running 500 watts 24/7

Leave, now. :pfff: 
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 16, 2013 5:15:58 AM

Careful amuffin, you'l be branded an Intel fanboy!
Why... you might even be taking checks from Intel/Nvidia to bad-mouth AMD, I bet that's what it is!
I hope your happy with deceiving people for your own gain, you despiciable person. I bet you don't even have blue-berries in you!

:lol: 
Seriously have had to deal with people like that on these forums, except it was with OCZ instead of Intel/Nvidia. I'l show you the thread if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it!
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/367254-31-sandforce-b...
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
January 16, 2013 5:31:39 AM

Intel can't kill off AMD by law.

Anyway, there are more ARM processors out there then PC's out in the world.........
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 8:24:13 AM

What the hell is wrong with you guys ._. Shut up about freaking Radeon & GeForce GPUs, THEY'RE BOTH EQUALLY AMAZING & HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREAD. If you haven't NOTICED yet, they excel in their own individual games!
Example: 7970 will outdo the 680 in framerates in Far Cry 3 because its AMD optimized, meanwhile the 680 will outperform the 7970 in something like Arkham Asylum or BF3 because its Nvidia optimized.
Just shut up, you bums. BOTH CARDS ARE JUST FREAKING BEASTS.

Now get back to the topic, which is Intel CPUs vs. AMD CPUs!
Intel: Well built, for performance enthusiasts & serious hard core video editors
AMD: For majority of the public cause NO one understands computers except Tom's Hardware guys, budget builders, and possibly performance enthusiasts, cause THE MARKET WILL CHANGE.

10 years from now Intel & AMD might not even exist, or AMD could be the top dog, or whatever. As of right now however, right this second, its known fact that an Intel CPU will outperform an AMD CPU in benchmarks & games. But it's also fact it'll cost you an arm & a leg compared to AMD.

Now play nice.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 8:48:56 AM

I love the anarchy these threads cause, then I throw the spanner in the works just for lulz.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 8:57:52 AM

LOL @ Diablo! I actually thought he was joking for the first post or two... unbelievable. Props to Chalk for keeping his cool and posting level-headed responses to that idiocy. I doubt I would have done in his position.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 16, 2013 9:10:06 AM

Now AMD and Intel both have pros and cons, but with the graphics card debacle , 7990 is bestest ^_^
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 9:27:09 AM

GTX690 was slightly worse for speed, much better for power consumption and noise. Can we leave it at that? Firstly, as others have said, it has nothing to do with Intel/AMD (honestly Diablo!) and secondly, who even buys these kind of cards? It's a very small market that spends that much on a card to then have to deal with SLI/Crossfire issues, and the kind of people that do buy them are generally people who understand the decision they're making anyway.
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:34:44 PM

so many people on toms hardware who are clueless. samplay said gtx 690 has nothing to do with amd or intel... ??? where did that come from? did he read the other comments someone said that intel has nothing to do with nvidia which is a joke itself lmao. obviously they profit money together. sam play you need to stop commenting altogether you seem to be the one whos getting mad here... dont try to charge into battle and think your saving lives here like your some hero. its a discussion if you dont like debates or discussions then you shouldnt be on this website. gtx 690 performs about 20% worse then the 7990 uh ya "not slightly worse". so many intel fanboys here. if you added in more cuda cores and performance to match the 7990 they would be really close to the same power consumption. when your gaming and playing at 1080 or somewhere where the whole graphics card isnt being used theres not much a difference in power consumption anyway. 7990 true winner.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 3:44:35 PM

diablo34life said:
so many people on toms hardware who are clueless. samplay said gtx 690 has nothing to do with amd or intel... ??? where did that come from? did he read the other comments someone said that intel has nothing to do with nvidia which is a joke itself lmao. obviously they profit money together. sam play you need to stop commenting altogether you seem to be the one whos getting mad here... dont try to charge into battle and think your saving lives here like your some hero. its a discussion if you dont like debates or discussions then you shouldnt be on this website. gtx 690 performs about 20% worse then the 7990 uh ya "not slightly worse". so many intel fanboys here. if you added in more cuda cores and performance to match the 7990 they would be really close to the same power consumption. when your gaming and playing at 1080 or somewhere where the whole graphics card isnt being used theres not much a difference in power consumption anyway. 7990 true winner.

Could we please have some up-to-date benchmarks? That is all I am asking for... but none of you people saying the 7990 is better has provided any facts or evidence...(Not saying you are wrong I just want to see it myself)
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:45:35 PM

Derza10 said:
Could we please have some up-to-date benchmarks? That is all I am asking for... but none of you people saying the 7990 is better has provided any facts or evidence...(Not saying you are wrong I just want to see it myself)

tomd hardware reviewed both head to head
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 3:48:13 PM

diablo34life said:
tomd hardware reviewed both head to head

The one where they said if they were going to spend $1000 on a video card it would be the GTX 690? Or could you give me a link to the one you are talking about.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2013 5:33:57 PM

VIA fo' life!
m
l
!